FS YSL- Gucci Nominees

Status
Not open for further replies.
a bit OT------
whats up with this? marc is getting the LVMH boot?? does anyone here know if that is true?

fashionnet-
The Gucci Group is not the only luxury conglomerate currently experiencing turmoil. WWD reported last week that LVMH has put up Donna Karan International for sale. But the really juicy rumor is that the group could also be looking to be unloading Marc Jacobs, which would also mean the exit of Mr. Jacobs at Louis Vuitton. Jeez, imagine a world without Tom at Gucci and no Marc at LV. What in the world would bootleg handbag vendors do?

They're not firing Marc, just selling off his company to someone else. Don't know why, though.

Marc's contract at Vuitton ends in 2005. And if they dump his company, I doubt he'll want to sign on for more.

Originally posted by leyla m.+Nov 10th, 2003 - 7:20 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leyla m. @ Nov 10th, 2003 - 7:20 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pete@Nov 10th, 2003 - 8:41 pm
I know Slimane just renewed a 3 year contract w/ Dior Homme, so I assume he would stay put. I think Hedi is way to good to leave what he's doing at Dior. Plus, you'd be stealing my fave menswear designer. I love his clothes and have about 1 piece I have to have from each collection (I can't afford more than that). Stella may be on the horizon? BTW- Astrid, if you love dior homme, you should know that Hedi has produced smaller sizes in shirts this season for the ladies. They're cut a bit different and available in Paris!
Pete
OT
thanks god hes created a womens "dior homme" line. i've been eyeing the womens collection since last season now :blush: [/b][/quote]
Thats so fab! What i would give for a slim-cut dior homme suit! Even though I'm not slim i would still love them! They are fab!

Originally posted by Pete@Nov 10th, 2003 - 12:41 pm
I know Slimane just renewed a 3 year contract w/ Dior Homme, so I assume he would stay put. I think Hedi is way to good to leave what he's doing at Dior. Plus, you'd be stealing my fave menswear designer. I love his clothes and have about 1 piece I have to have from each collection (I can't afford more than that). Stella may be on the horizon? BTW- Astrid, if you love dior homme, you should know that Hedi has produced smaller sizes in shirts this season for the ladies. They're cut a bit different and available in Paris!
Pete
Thank you very much for the information, Pete. :woot: :heart:

Originally posted by LolitaLuxe@Nov 10th, 2003 - 5:07 pm
a bit OT------
whats up with this? marc is getting the LVMH boot?? does anyone here know if that is true?

fashionnet-
The Gucci Group is not the only luxury conglomerate currently experiencing turmoil. WWD reported last week that LVMH has put up Donna Karan International for sale. But the really juicy rumor is that the group could also be looking to be unloading Marc Jacobs, which would also mean the exit of Mr. Jacobs at Louis Vuitton. Jeez, imagine a world without Tom at Gucci and no Marc at LV. What in the world would bootleg handbag vendors do?
Dona and LVMH never mixed. I hope lv dosnt drop marc it would be a shame , he si the only good thing gooing for lv.

Originally posted by ignitioned32@Nov 10th, 2003 - 2:31 am
The couture of Dior tht sells is definetly not what he shows during the haute couture shows but whats behind in the atlier. Like Goldie Hawn, Jenifer Aniston and Courtney Cox Arquette were all in Dior at these years Golden Globes, Hilary Swank was in Dior at the Oscars and Uma was in Dior too at a premiere of Kill Bill. Want me to name more. :wink:
justs o you knwo all the stars who wear dior couture( or any couture) do not actually purchase the clothing, they usually have to give it back with in a day, unless they are mega huge stars in wich case some tiems theya re aloud to keep the dress. for instanc one of my friends knwos a younga ctress who was nomintated for a golden globe this year and wore a chanel couture dress, even though it was fitted to her etc. she still had to give it back. Actresses simply cant aford to purchase a 20 thousand + dress to wear once, and fashion houses canta ford to give them out liek they are candy. :blush:

No prob Astrid... From past posts I've read as a lurker, I know I love your style! Much like mine in the minimalist sense, mine's just a male version.

Originally posted by Spacemiu+Nov 10th, 2003 - 11:07 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spacemiu @ Nov 10th, 2003 - 11:07 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-ignitioned32@Nov 10th, 2003 - 2:31 am
The couture of Dior tht sells is definetly not what he shows during the haute couture shows but whats behind in the atlier. Like Goldie Hawn, Jenifer Aniston and Courtney Cox Arquette were all in Dior at these years Golden Globes, Hilary Swank was in Dior at the Oscars and Uma was in Dior too at a premiere of Kill Bill.  Want me to name more.  :wink:
justs o you knwo all the stars who wear dior couture( or any couture) do not actually purchase the clothing, they usually have to give it back with in a day, unless they are mega huge stars in wich case some tiems theya re aloud to keep the dress. for instanc one of my friends knwos a younga ctress who was nomintated for a golden globe this year and wore a chanel couture dress, even though it was fitted to her etc. she still had to give it back. Actresses simply cant aford to purchase a 20 thousand + dress to wear once, and fashion houses canta ford to give them out liek they are candy. :blush: [/b][/quote]
I know but then again since Dior lent them the dre$$ they will be expected to buy some cheaper items probably from their RTW line- handbags, jackets, blouses? I thought I wouldn't have to explain this anymore. :innocent:

More people in Dior this year:

-Angella Lindvall and Maggie Rizer in Dior and Eve, Anna Wintour and Anne Bass in Dior HC at the Costume Institute Gala.
-Kim Catrall in Dior at the SATC 6th season premiere.
-Monica Belluci in that white floaty tiered Dior couture dress and Liz Hurley in a wine colored Dior dress probably both worn at the Cannes.
-Rebecca Romijin Stamos in Dior at a premiere (X2?)

Originally posted by ignitioned32+Nov 11th, 2003 - 3:36 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ignitioned32 @ Nov 11th, 2003 - 3:36 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Spacemiu@Nov 10th, 2003 - 11:07 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-ignitioned32
@Nov 10th, 2003 - 2:31 am
The couture of Dior tht sells is definetly not what he shows during the haute couture shows but whats behind in the atlier. Like Goldie Hawn, Jenifer Aniston and Courtney Cox Arquette were all in Dior at these years Golden Globes, Hilary Swank was in Dior at the Oscars and Uma was in Dior too at a premiere of Kill Bill.  Want me to name more.  :wink:

justs o you knwo all the stars who wear dior couture( or any couture) do not actually purchase the clothing, they usually have to give it back with in a day, unless they are mega huge stars in wich case some tiems theya re aloud to keep the dress. for instanc one of my friends knwos a younga ctress who was nomintated for a golden globe this year and wore a chanel couture dress, even though it was fitted to her etc. she still had to give it back. Actresses simply cant aford to purchase a 20 thousand + dress to wear once, and fashion houses canta ford to give them out liek they are candy. :blush:
I know but then again since Dior lent them the dre$$ they will be expected to buy some cheaper items probably from their RTW line- handbags, jackets, blouses? I thought I wouldn't have to explain this anymore. :innocent:

-Angella Lindvall and Maggie Rizer in Dior and Eve, Anna Wintour and Anne Bass in Dior HC at the Costume Institute Gala.
-Monica Belluci in that white floaty tiered Dior couture dress and Liz Hurley in a wine colored Dior dress probably both worn at the Cannes.
-Rebecca Romijin Stamos in Dior at a premiere (X2?) [/b][/quote]
i completly agree with space here
first on the markJ LV rumours
then on actresses building up a oh so fake image. :yuk:
those poor girls are doing all this free publicity for totaly free its true they are sooo pathetic , i mean please, they dont even keep the damn dresses, so ultra victimised.. :sick:

then .. of course ... we have naive girls, typically do the 'good consumer' worshiping labels worn ONLY by those pathetic talentless starlets, saving money in order to make huge industrialist even richer.
resist the plastic star system :flower:

Originally posted by Lena+Nov 13th, 2003 - 4:17 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Nov 13th, 2003 - 4:17 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by ignitioned32@Nov 11th, 2003 - 3:36 pm
Originally posted by Spacemiu@Nov 10th, 2003 - 11:07 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-ignitioned32
@Nov 10th, 2003 - 2:31 am

-Rebecca Romijin Stamos in Dior at a premiere (X2?)
those poor girls are doing all this free publicity for totaly free its true they are sooo pathetic , i mean please, they dont even keep the damn dresses, so ultra victimised.. :sick:

then .. of course ... we have naive girls, typically do the 'good consumer' worshiping labels worn ONLY by those pathetic talentless starlets, saving money in order to make huge industrialist even richer.
resist the plastic star system :flower: [/b][/quote]
Words of wisdom B) :clap:

As far as Marc-y Marc and the plagerists are concerned. I say good riddence to him too. Sorry I seem so evil but the only remarkable thing he's been doing these days is collaborating with all those artists for the accessories. I never quite could understood the premise of doing clothing at an age-old house known only for luggage and handbags....what was the point? Nobody really payed as much attention to the clothes as they those bags.

Btw,is he selling well these days? Maybe that's why there is speculation. And those god awful J.Lo campaigns sure hasn't helped the image of Vuitton.

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 13th, 2003 - 2:17 pm

right on lena! its so stupid, its the only thign about la i really hate, i even preffer teh smog. :innocent:

Originally posted by Scott@Nov 13th, 2003 - 8:07 pm
Btw,is he selling well these days? Maybe that's why there is speculation. And those god awful J.Lo campaigns sure hasn't helped the image of Vuitton.
I think the Vuitton clothes are finally starting to sell. They were ignored for the longest time but I think some of the stuff, especially from the mens lines, have been very interesting and design-driven. FW 2000 and SS 2002 were especially strong for the womens clothing.

About the J.Lo thing: Sure, us "fashion insiders" didn't approve. But I think ultimately, it was a good move for Vuitton. LVMH knows business. And they wouldn't have shelled out the millions for J.Lo if they didn't think it would propel the Vuitton brand forward. Right now, Vuitton doesn't have the market reach of say, Chanel or Gucci. Those brands have been able to satisfy a middle-class client with perfumes, cosmetics, and accessories for years while still maintaining an upper class profile for shoes and clothing. Vuitton needs to do the same and that J.Lo campaign helped move the brand into middle class America. That may not be the place we want to see Vuitton, but Gucci and Chanel and Versace and Prada have been there for years.

Also, Marc's FW 2003 and SS 2004 shows for Vuitton received great reviews and they weren't centered so much on the handbags as in past seasons. I can't imagine why LVMH would be unhappy with his performance. Marc has positioned Vuitton to be the ultimate global luxury brand. And if they keep on this route, they will surely surpass Prada, Gucci, and Dior soon.

Originally posted by Scott@Nov 13th, 2003 - 6:59 pm

... and that's how Dior (Chanel, Prada, Valentino et all) sells. :wink: :flower:

Originally posted by ignitioned32+Nov 14th, 2003 - 5:08 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ignitioned32 @ Nov 14th, 2003 - 5:08 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Nov 13th, 2003 - 6:59 pm

... and that's how Dior (Chanel, Prada, Valentino et all) sells. :wink: :flower: [/b][/quote]
i would rather have people have individual style and not suport big companys. :(

Originally posted by Spacemiu+Nov 14th, 2003 - 3:24 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spacemiu @ Nov 14th, 2003 - 3:24 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by ignitioned32@Nov 14th, 2003 - 5:08 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Scott
@Nov 13th, 2003 - 6:59 pm
then on actresses building up a oh so fake image.  :yuk:
those poor girls are doing all this free publicity for totaly free its true they are sooo pathetic , i mean please, they dont even keep the damn dresses, so ultra victimised..  :sick:

resist the plastic star system  :flower:

... and that's how Dior (Chanel, Prada, Valentino et all) sells. :wink: :flower:
i would rather have people have individual style and not suport big companys. :( [/b][/quote]
I know. :( :flower:

Originally posted by ignitioned32+Nov 14th, 2003 - 8:22 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ignitioned32 @ Nov 14th, 2003 - 8:22 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Spacemiu@Nov 14th, 2003 - 3:24 pm
Originally posted by ignitioned32@Nov 14th, 2003 - 5:08 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Scott
@Nov 13th, 2003 - 6:59 pm
then on actresses building up a oh so fake image.  :yuk:
those poor girls are doing all this free publicity for totaly free its true they are sooo pathetic , i mean please, they dont even keep the damn dresses, so ultra victimised..  :sick:

resist the plastic star system  :flower:

i would rather have people have individual style and not suport big companys. :(
I know. :( :flower: [/b][/quote]
:lol: but youa re defendinga llt he stars wearing dior? :lol:

anyw ays i think we are a bit of point now.

hello everyone,

i am brand new to this fashion forum but am a veteran conde nazi-in training. anyway, i attend otis college of art in L.A. and am taking a class with the former special projects coordinator for gucci group north america and know for a fact that katie grand of dazed & confused editorial fame, and also stylist to gucci, prada, bottega veneta, gibo, luella bartley, frost french et al. had been in talks to replace tom ford since august 2003. gucci group has been preparing for mr. ford's departure for months now, they certainly are not in a state of disarray with the current news. but since miss grand is well allianced with mr. ford both professionally and personally, it is becoming unlikely that she will accept, but the talks are due to continue until december 14th, when the group is set to announce its creative postiton for the upcoming A/W 2004/05 season.

katie grand (who is by far the most viscerally exciting stylist since diana vreeland, and who has a homoerotic sensibility ideally suited for gucci) apparently wants nothing to do with this new post-ford gucci. but this hasn't kept her away from the bargaining table, in fact, she has been offered financial backing for her own start-up (after four seasons) à la nicolas ghesquière at balenciaga. another stylist initially in the running was former american vogue contibutor and current paris vogue editor & one-time gucci stylist carine roitfeld who gracefully declined the offer, she too is intimate friends with ford. clements ribeiro's and british vogue's tiina laakkonen also declined the possibilty of talks. designers also officially approached include antonio berardi, sofia kokosalaki, alexander mcqueen, and lawrence steel. and it is the latter who is most likely to take the reigns at gucci come next year. before losing his backers, steel's glamorous milan based company had been regarded as "the new gucci." personally, i feel he is the man for the job, and i am sure the whole of hollywood would agree.

as for yves saint laurent rive gauche, the names officially being heard are: miguel adrover, martin grant, roland mouret, pascal humbert, zac posen, narciso rodriguez, chado ralph rucci, and rick owens. of those i feel rick owens has the most to bring to the history and legacy of yves saint laurent rive gauche. of course ysl rg is by now recognized for its jazzy-ethno-disco-safari-archived-crapporama, which was too well-mimicked by tom ford from the start, and why i feel that this new ysl rg should not rely so heavily from the archives. even m saint laurent himself was borrowing hugely from his greatest hits by the end of his reign, albeit because he was/is senile and all. alber elbaz offered a modern ysl rg soo brilliantly that the time-warped ladies who lunch went instead to hanae mori and chanel for their saint laurent interpretations... and thats the problem, ysl rg doesnt need interpretations, its been over-done and its time for a newer formula. elbaz's vision was sublime and thoroughly progressive. narciso rodriguez has thankfully maintained and cultivated his loewe sensibility and is prepared to tackle yet another major house. yet i can honestly see pascal humbert, who has such a precocious sensibility for the haute couture at ysl couture. it would be to ysl's benefit to hire him and especially reopen the couture house. gucci group does not have any ownership in the haute couture, so in reality its irrelevant. it is also my understanding that gucci group wants a brit or an american to take over at gucci, and definitely not a european. on the other hand, there is pressure from within the company to hire a lesser known frenchman for ysl rg, but their choices are overshadowed by the marquee americans. as it is, roland mouret is currently in negotiations with lvmh regarding creative direction at givenchy, hedi slimane's mouth is surgically attatched to bernard arnault's crotch, mcqueen/ghesquière/mccartney sold-out and are owned by gucci, and thank the lord that olivier theyskens' rochas is the new balenciaga. so who really cares?

i say: lawrence steel for gucci... gucci's creative and commercial progression wont skip a beat under his direction. but in a dream world katie grand would accept and reinvent an already booming giant into the stratosphere. i like the idea of martin grant at ysl rg, but he strikes me as slightly naive for such an important post. id gladly like to see miguel adrover's approach in paris, or on a more personal note, a Los Angeles favorite, rick owens' punky aesthetic at yves saint laurent rive gauche. those are my picks.

and of the rumors i have heard, i can say that i am not keen on having vivienne westwood at ysl rg, nor luella bartley at gucci. i mean, ew. :ninja:

dutifully,

kethan

Welcome to TFS, Kethan! :flower:

Your post brought up many interesting points. I, too, have heard the Katie Grand rumor but haven't given it too much consideration as I didn't think it was legitimate. Perhaps she truly would be the perfect answer for Gucci. Sad that she declined.

Originally posted by homme couture@Nov 16th, 2003 - 9:30 am
hello everyone,

i am brand new to this fashion forum but am a veteran conde nazi-in training. anyway, i attend otis college of art in L.A. and am taking a class with the former special projects coordinator for gucci group north america and know for a fact that katie grand of dazed & confused editorial fame, and also stylist to gucci, prada, bottega veneta, gibo, luella bartley, frost french et al. had been in talks to replace tom ford since august 2003. gucci group has been preparing for mr. ford's departure for months now, they certainly are not in a state of disarray with the current news. but since miss grand is well allianced with mr. ford both professionally and personally, it is becoming unlikely that she will accept, but the talks are due to continue until december 14th, when the group is set to announce its creative postiton for the upcoming A/W 2004/05 season.

katie grand (who is by far the most viscerally exciting stylist since diana vreeland, and who has a homoerotic sensibility ideally suited for gucci) apparently wants nothing to do with this new post-ford gucci. but this hasn't kept her away from the bargaining table, in fact, she has been offered financial backing for her own start-up (after four seasons) à la nicolas ghesquière at balenciaga. another stylist initially in the running was former american vogue contibutor and current paris vogue editor & one-time gucci stylist carine roitfeld who gracefully declined the offer, she too is intimate friends with ford. clements ribeiro's and british vogue's tiina laakkonen also declined the possibilty of talks. designers also officially approached include antonio berardi, sofia kokosalaki, alexander mcqueen, and lawrence steel. and it is the latter who is most likely to take the reigns at gucci come next year. before losing his backers, steel's glamorous milan based company had been regarded as "the new gucci." personally, i feel he is the man for the job, and i am sure the whole of hollywood would agree.

as for yves saint laurent rive gauche, the names officially being heard are: miguel adrover, martin grant, roland mouret, pascal humbert, zac posen, narciso rodriguez, chado ralph rucci, and rick owens. of those i feel rick owens has the most to bring to the history and legacy of yves saint laurent rive gauche. of course ysl rg is by now recognized for its jazzy-ethno-disco-safari-archived-crapporama, which was too well-mimicked by tom ford from the start, and why i feel that this new ysl rg should not rely so heavily from the archives. even m saint laurent himself was borrowing hugely from his greatest hits by the end of his reign, albeit because he was/is senile and all. alber elbaz offered a modern ysl rg soo brilliantly that the time-warped ladies who lunch went instead to hanae mori and chanel for their saint laurent interpretations... and thats the problem, ysl rg doesnt need interpretations, its been over-done and its time for a newer formula. elbaz's vision was sublime and thoroughly progressive. narciso rodriguez has thankfully maintained and cultivated his loewe sensibility and is prepared to tackle yet another major house. yet i can honestly see pascal humbert, who has such a precocious sensibility for the haute couture at ysl couture. it would be to ysl's benefit to hire him and especially reopen the couture house. gucci group does not have any ownership in the haute couture, so in reality its irrelevant. it is also my understanding that gucci group wants a brit or an american to take over at gucci, and definitely not a european. on the other hand, there is pressure from within the company to hire a lesser known frenchman for ysl rg, but their choices are overshadowed by the marquee americans. as it is, roland mouret is currently in negotiations with lvmh regarding creative direction at givenchy, hedi slimane's mouth is surgically attatched to bernard arnault's crotch, mcqueen/ghesquière/mccartney sold-out and are owned by gucci, and thank the lord that olivier theyskens' rochas is the new balenciaga. so who really cares?

i say: lawrence steel for gucci... gucci's creative and commercial progression wont skip a beat under his direction. but in a dream world katie grand would accept and reinvent an already booming giant into the stratosphere. i like the idea of martin grant at ysl rg, but he strikes me as slightly naive for such an important post. id gladly like to see miguel adrover's approach in paris, or on a more personal note, a Los Angeles favorite, rick owens' punky aesthetic at yves saint laurent rive gauche. those are my picks.

and of the rumors i have heard, i can say that i am not keen on having vivienne westwood at ysl rg, nor luella bartley at gucci. i mean, ew. :ninja:

dutifully,

kethan
Fabulous Kethan :woot:

Can I just add one we have not mentioned at all?

Ann-Valerie Hash. If her last couture collection wasn't any proclamation of her genius perhaps we shall take a look more closely. The woman has a ton of talent and an extreme knack for craft and elegance. Plus,her youthful spirit would totally benefit a house like YSL and gain a wider audience.

Now,as far she being only a couture specific designer her work never really looked like a typical couture collection-ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->