Galliano's Latest News

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
shall we expect an Austro Turkish collection then ?
could it be more dead animal :sick: inspirations? :P

John Galliano, who often travels to far-flung locales to research upcoming collections, is bound to keep them guessing this season. Over the past few weeks he visited Vienna and Istanbul, and on Monday he was spotted in London taking in the sheep and sharks in formaldehyde at the Saatchi Gallery. Before his gallery visit, Galliano and his trusted assistant, Steven Robinson, also took in the Vivienne Westwood exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum. The V&A show attracted another type from LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton — Marianne Tessler, the former president of Givenchy. Tessler, who was spotted strolling down New Bond Street on Monday, said she’s now working in accessories for LVMH and advising some Italian companies that were acquired by the luxury giant’s investment arm, LV Capital.

from wwd

i have found that i enjoy galliano's deisgns much more when they are not on the runway. i think that he has gotten to the point where he uses extravagance for spectacle... yet, for marketing purposes, he makes the clothing more wearable. when i see his "real way" items, they are far less over powering...

i want marianne tessler's job... :innocent: :P

Originally posted by pearsandapples@Apr 27th, 2004 - 12:57 am
i have found that i enjoy galliano's deisgns much more when they are not on the runway. i think that he has gotten to the point where he uses extravagance for spectacle... yet, for marketing purposes, he makes the clothing more wearable. when i see his "real way" items, they are far less over powering...
I agree... :unsure:

Originally posted by Lena@Apr 27th, 2004 - 12:29 am
shall we expect an Austro Turkish collection then ?
could it be more dead animal :sick: inspirations? :P
I'd hope not! :wink:

Can't wait to see his next collection for Dior and John Galliano!

Galliano has a serious lack of imagination. He has to travel to other countries in order to come up with a new collection? That's sad.

Originally posted by Scott@Apr 28th, 2004 - 9:28 am
Galliano has a serious lack of imagination. He has to travel to other countries in order to come up with a new collection? That's sad.
scott-
it's actually very common...ysl famously did it with his russian and morrocan inspired collections in the 70's and everyone from donna karan to vivienne westwood have done that...a change of environment is often very inspiring...think about what it was like when you went to antwerp...why do you think i'm going to london...if nothing else, it gives u a new perspective on things...a different point of view...

i'd like to go to africa...or australia (the outback)...or the himalayas... i'm sure the clours, the landscape and the cultures would all be very inspiring... :flower:

...and then of course, there's JAPAN... :blush: i'll get there someday...

That's not what I meant. Its clear the inspirations from many are merely just a way to copy things for a new collection. There is no feeling of the enviroment;there is no viable soul searching going on. Then they give that tedious answer like I went to such and such and got inspired without giving a real answer of substance. At least in Galliano's case,it just feels disingenuine. But I suppose it is different depending upon the individual. Certainly much more valuble than just looking at clothes....at least for me it was.

Originally posted by softgrey+Apr 28th, 2004 - 9:08 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Apr 28th, 2004 - 9:08 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Apr 28th, 2004 - 9:28 am
scott-
it's actually very common...ysl famously did it with his russian and morrocan inspired collections in the 70's and everyone from donna karan to vivienne westwood have done that...a change of environment is often very inspiring...think about what it was like when you went to antwerp...why do you think i'm going to london...if nothing else, it gives u a new perspective on things...a different point of view...

i'd like to go to africa...or australia (the outback)...or the himalayas... i'm sure the clours, the landscape and the cultures would all be very inspiring... :flower:

...and then of course, there's JAPAN... :blush: i'll get there someday... [/b][/quote]
I agree with you Softgrey... lots of artists travelled the world searching for inspiration, or were inspired by foreigner cultures... just think about Van Gogh and Japan, Gauguin and Polinesia (sorry I miss the english word for that wonderful place).

Scott, I don't like Galliano's style too, but I think we should give him credit that he is kind of an artist in the fashion system.

PS: Soft I love Japan too... I've been there an year ago and I wanna tell you this: do everything... like... work in a mine or clean the streets but collect the money and GO THERE!! there's so much to see and :heart: !!!

i dont mind people traveling for inspiration
but it gets a bit boring when it becomes predictable.

we only need to check his passport to guess the influences
of his next collection. its like ..boring

Originally posted by MaLkAv@Apr 28th, 2004 - 4:10 pm

PS: Soft I love Japan too... I've been there an year ago and I wanna tell you this: do everything... like... work in a mine or clean the streets but collect the money and GO THERE!! there's so much to see and :heart: !!!
:rofl: :clap: sounds good malkav...i'll get there by any means necessary...

and i do still agree with scott and lena who have said that to just copy designs from another culture is boring and redundant...

i think that galliano has tremendous talent as well...i just don't like how he uses it at times... :blink:

I agree with softgrey. It was his work that first attracted me to fashion but sometimes I shake my head and wonder.

Sometimes, I wish that John Galliano would just up and surprise the hell out of all of us and actually put the models in the "real" wearable clothes that are going to be sold in the boutiques..... but I don't know. I like there to be a certain theatrical aspect, but sometimes all of that over-the-top costume and ridiculousness that no one will ever be able to wear is can just be overwhelming, and tiring. I do appreciate all of the work that goes into such spellboundingly beautiful garments, but in my opinion, showing the more wearable, original ideas and garments...(what he calls his "daywear") would probably attract more customers (especially to couture) because frankly, that's how people are...they want to see what they're going to get and usually cannot appreciate OTT spectacle :wink: :wacko:

Some examples, from Dior Haute Couture:

00141.L.JPG
00106.L.JPG

^ The totally outrageous and unwearable spectacle, HC Spring 2003

00034.L.JPG
00038.L.JPG

^ Spring 1998 HC

Galliano has always been theatrical and done over-the-top, even costumish designs... but as of late he's just gotten even more insane :wacko: ...It would do a lot of good for him to just calm down for a few seasons and heed my advice ;D

I have long and deeply suspected that what Galliano actually does is simply drop a huge hit of acid and locks himself away with bolts and bolts of silk, a packet of needles, spools of thread, and a pair of shears and doesn't come out until he comes down.

I like the trippiness of his work, but I can't pretend to make much more sense out of it than I can make out of the lyics of "In Ana-Gadda-Di-Vida" :wacko:

More examples; this time from his own signature line:

00005.L.JPG

^ Spring 2003

00099.L.JPG

^ Spring 2000

00127.L.JPG
00130.L.JPG

^ Fall 1999

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members