Gap F/W 09.10

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
"I just wanted to create a collection of great items," Robinson told VOGUE.COM - following a company restructure which has moved the emphasis from individual product categories to integrated outfit building. "That's what Gap is about. Classic pieces you can make your own in a range of colours. Gap doesn't translate the catwalk trends on to the high street - we're not about trends, but classics."
A base of great denim; light, dark, casual, tailored, skinny or boyfriend baggy, provides the foundation for more fashion forward pieces - from a sleeveless leather jacket to a colourful chunky Navajo cardigan. There are stand-out individual items, but the overwhelming impression is of a man who knows how to give good outfit.
Robinson has had his share of high-end experience and maintains that the process is not hugely different from a design perspective. He keeps the focus on the product whilst keeping in mind the need for value sought by consumers on the high street. "My aim is that the clothes should look three to four times more expensive than they are," Robinson confessed. "I want the customer to look at the product and be surprised by the price. I want the collection to be affordable, but the product needs to be the attraction."

pics from thelovemagazine.blogspot.com
blurb from vogue.co.uk

Attachments

• gap1.jpg
    gap1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 280
  • gap2.jpg
    gap2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 278
  • gap3.jpg
    gap3.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 279
High fashion has had its say, but what of the democratic point of view for Fall? According to Gap's Patrick Robinson, it's going to be "about people walking into the store and eyeing things they think might be three times the price of what they'd expect to see, but then finding out they're a fourth of what they thought." To wit: black, curly shearling jackets and vests; a cute knit-sleeved toggle-fastened peacoat; a dark indigo denim trench; and a super-desirable pair of high, chunky-heeled sheepskin Pierre Hardy boots, among much else. All these were lined up on a podium—a casual style of presenting Robinson has made a Gap signature over three seasons—only this time, the location was the old flower market Covent Garden in London, not New York.

Why? Gap has deep American roots, but the brand is now designed by internationally minded U.S., European, and Japanese teams that Robinson directs out of New York, and this is the first stage of a new Gap road-show strategy demonstrating their joined-up thinking. (Next stop, for Spring 2010, will be Tokyo.) Mostly, Robinson says, they're thinking about layered sportswear with a smarter edge and exacting proportions. The classic pocket tee has been rethought in drapey washed silk; a new chino comes cut with a skinny stovepipe leg, "so it can also be rolled up and worn with a high sandal"; and the ombré-dyed twinset knits have been elongated to look right over leggings. And where denim appeared, it had obviously been more influenced by the European collaboration between Lanvin and Acne (all tailored, deep-indigo dyed pieces) than traditional western workwear. Not to say there weren't familiar Gap moments—comfortable brown-toned Navajo knits for holiday, for starters.

If there's a criticism, the collection could have used more color, along the lines of the single cornflower blue silk top that stood out in the mix. True, the rest of fashion has toned itself down to shades of gray and black, so these looks will fit right in with the season's agendas. But a tiny shot of trend-bucking American optimism wouldn't have gone amiss.
(style)

Attachments

• gap8.jpg
    gap8.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 16
  • gap7.jpg
    gap7.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 8
  • gap6.jpg
    gap6.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 6
  • gap5.jpg
    gap5.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 23
  • gap4.jpg
    gap4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 29
  • gap9.jpg
    gap9.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 14
  • gap10.jpg
    gap10.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 16
continued from style.com

Attachments

• gap15.jpg
    gap15.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 5
  • gap14.jpg
    gap14.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 15
  • gap13.jpg
    gap13.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 324
  • gap12.jpg
    gap12.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 6
  • gap11.jpg
    gap11.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 10
  • gap16.jpg
    gap16.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 15
  • gap17.jpg
    gap17.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 11
  • gap18.jpg
    gap18.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 4
  • gap20.jpg
    gap20.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 16
  • gap19.jpg
    gap19.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 13
more from style

Attachments

• gap25.jpg
    gap25.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 14
  • gap24.jpg
    gap24.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 14
  • gap23.jpg
    gap23.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 13
  • gap22.jpg
    gap22.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 16
  • gap21.jpg
    gap21.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 8
  • gap26.jpg
    gap26.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 9
  • gap27.jpg
    gap27.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 13
  • gap28.jpg
    gap28.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 16
it's gap, not a fan. though it's well put together.

well it's definitely it's step up from what they have been doing. they were getting a bit too trendy the last years.

i think they're making a valiant effort towards improvement but it's still going to take time before we see any change in their business. you have to admit though, patrick robinson is really giving them a good push in the right direction.

i love the ombre cardigan, i hope they bring it into the Singapore stores.

i really like the navajo patterned stuff.

I hope Robinson will be around for a while because in the short time he's been there, Gap has really begun to appeal to me much more than it ever did.

That brown leather mens jacket looks promising.

it's really nice. love alot of the women's cardigans and jackets. there's a pair of gray shorts( the material looks perfect for winter) that i'm having my eye on till fall :P

I am in love with the degradation of someone of the outfits, very pretty collection.

The tailored trousers with the pink top... really loving those.

I'll probably buy the gray 3/4 sleeve dress (#4).
The olive green parka looks nice as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->