Gap To Target Women Over 35

stylegurrl

Reaction score
From The Northwest Herald

Gap plans new chain

BLOOMBERG NEWS

SAN FRANCISCO – Gap Inc. plans to focus on older female shoppers by giving them their own chain.

The retailer, which owns the Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy chains, plans to start a new chain of stores catering to women older than 35. It is part of an effort to boost overall sales.

Gap will open as many as 10 of the new stores in the second half of next year, officials said in a statement. Gary Muto, president of the Gap brand, will lead the unnamed chain, which will be based in New York.

Gap Chief Executive Officer Paul Pressler is betting the new chain – Gap's first since it introduced Old Navy in 1994 – will help fuel growth after sales during the fiscal second-quarter that ended in July rose at the slowest pace in the two years since he took the helm.

"It can be a strong growth vehicle for them since its existing brands are at or close to maturation," said Marsha Jong, an analyst at Houston-based financial services firm Sanders Morris Harris Inc. "It makes a lot of sense."

Old Navy, Gap's largest unit, targets mothers and teenagers.

The namesake Gap brand has been concentrating on 20- to 30-year-olds, while Banana Republic has sought fashion-oriented shoppers, Jong said.

Gap officials were light on details about the new chain, including how many stores it might open or exactly where the first stores will be located.

Gap has about 3,016 stores, including a Gap store in Spring Hill Mall in West Dundee and a Gap outlet store at the Prime Outlets at Huntley outlet mall.

15 Sep 2004 08:14 GMT Gap Targets Boomer Women With Test Stores In 2005

Copyright © 2004, Dow Jones Newswires

Gap Inc. (GPS) is preparing to test specialty clothing stores aimed at women over 35, the retailer's first new chain in a decade, Wednesday's Wall Street Journal reported.

The nation's largest specialty-apparel retailer says it plans to open as many as 10 new stores in the second half of 2005, selling clothes "for a range of occasions" for baby boomer women. The nearly 40 million American women born from 1946 to 1964 are a demographic group that hasn't had many apparel stores created solely for them. And Gap is putting executive firepower behind the effort, appointing Gary Muto, the current president of Gap's U.S. division, to head the new chain.

"We'll start with 10 stores and see where it goes," said Paul Pressler, chief executive of Gap.

The San Francisco retailer rang up sales last year of $15.9 billion.

Gap's plans have been something of an open secret in the retail industry: The company has hinted for months that a new chain could be in the works, dropping tantalizing clues and prompting speculation that the new division might focus on baby boomers, or a deep-discount chain.

Mr. Pressler, while confirming the plans, declined to disclose more about the new stores, including what they might look like, where they will open or even what they will be named.

Wall Street Journal Staff Reporters Amy Merrick, Teri Agins, Sally Beatty and Ellen Byron contributed to this article.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

09-15-04 0414ET

isn't banana republic for women over 35?...

That's what I thought too...

Even though I know 18 year olds that shop there... :shock:

Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 16 2004, 03:39 PM
[snapback]369557[/snapback]​

here's the official "mission" statement on BR:

Banana Republic customers love fashion. In Banana Republic's more than 400 stores across the United States and Canada, customers find a sophisticated style, with a point-of-view that focuses on casual luxury.

BR is for the early 20s and up crowd. It's more sophisticated (work stuff) and nicer going out things (silk tops, wool trousers, etc).

I think this new store is going to be like J.Jill...more relaxed, less "fashiony."

It's targeted at the fashion concious customer though and, 'Fashionable women never age' or something...

I guess that makes stylists immortal :P

wow gap's going to be one of those mega corps of the future...

Oh, goody. More GAP. I can hardly tell the difference between Old Navy, GAP, and Banana Republic as it is. What's next? Already they have baby clothes. Maybe shrouds for when we die of boredom?

I say they call it the "We are Capitalizing Off of the Sudden Awareness of 35+ Year Old Women as a Demographic Shop"

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Sep 16 2004, 04:26 PM
It's targeted at the fashion concious customer though and, 'Fashionable women never age' or something...

[snapback]369608[/snapback]​

:woot: :clap: ...i'm gonna live forever?!?!... :lol:

fantabulous... :P :wink:

Exactly?! That's what I thought...Maybe not exclusively, but certainly aimed at a more conservative dresser. Gap Inc is dumb, they should have just introduced a line, instead of a store. I'm quite curious to see what "over 35" looks like??? Why do I have a funny feeling it'll look like over 50 LOL!

grr...
i dont know what to think of this.
hmmm. ill be sure to check what this over 35 will look like. :unsure:

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Sep 16 2004, 04:26 PM
[snapback]369608[/snapback]​

i love it! and god , i hope so! :brows:

I've gotten so tired of Gap... I shopped there during high school (don't kill me!), and I take a stroll in there every once in a while... but it looks to me that they already target 35+ year olds... look at the celebs they've featured in their ads over the last couple of years... (Madonna, SJP, Lauren Hutton...)

I guess there is no money in 35+ year old men that they aren't already collecting in the other stores. :evil:

are we to think that 39 year old women dress the same as 55 year old women? Is "35+" a more delicate way of referring to women who are "maturing". WTF???

Or is it a chain for "35+" if youre in the mid-west...but youre in that age group AND you live in a major city then you can go ahead and shop at Banana Republic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->