Queen Rihanna by Deana Lawson Covers GARAGE Magazine Issue 15
The Human Future is here.
Photographed by Deana Lawson.
Fashion Editor: Carlos Nazario

8FDF29DE-99C9-48D4-A163-FBC862EC2E2C.jpeg
lo-res image | source | vice

There are more pics.
I can’t be bothered to start a thread.

Someone please stop her. She is overexposed to the point of me having yawn reflex to this cover. There are so many celebrities except Rihanna and Beyonce, if editors didn't know that.

Her skin looks radiant here and it's actually a beautiful shot, but I'm over the media's fascination with Rihanna.

Deana Lawson Photographs Rihanna for Garage Magazine

BY Annie Armstrong POSTED 09/04/18 10:31 AM

For Garage magazine’s 15th issue, Rihanna features in a cover image photographed by Deana Lawson, whose appearance in the 2017 Whitney Biennial helped propel her to widespread popularity. Lawson shows the R&B star in a vibrant floral top and black briefs, with some intricate fingernails to boot.

The cover comes shortly after a spread by Juergen Teller for the December 2017/January 2018 issue of Vogue Paris generated controversy for the ways it seemed to borrow heavily from the work of Mickalene Thomas.

About the Garage issue, Mark Guiducci, the magazine’s editor in chief, said, “Every image maker who picked up a camera for Issue 15 is a woman, and those women took us to Nigeria, Sweden, California, Tokyo, and Harlem, among other locations. Rihanna is perhaps our most human of pop idols—unguarded, miraculously vital, perfect in her imperfections—making her the consummate subject for Deana.”

The new issue of Garage, titled “The Human Future,” also features an interview between Lawson and Arthur Jafa.

Source: Artnews.com

I'm assuming this is the full edit? Love it. It's what I imagine US Vogue should look like if they'd like to appeal to the contemporary reader. HF glam with with a faint indie grit.

The editorial is so glamorous with just enough amount of quirkiness. Definitely puts Edward's September Issue to shame. However, please let this be the end of her exposure in HF magazine. At least until the end of the year.

Apologies for the messy layout! Posting is not as easy as I thought it would be!

The Human Future (I think this is the title?)

Photographer: Momo Okabe
Stylist: Matt Holmes
Hair & Makeup: Tomomi Fukuchi
Model: Yu Ishizuka

Source: Garage.vice.com

Speedo advertorial disguised as 'an ode to the brand's 104-year history.' Photographed at the Niagara Falls.

Photographer: Tina Tyrell
Production Mateen Mortazavi
Fashion Editor: Viktoria Sekrier
Hair: Blake Erik
Makeup: Ingeborg
Model: Emily Gafford

7bkgCxBw_t.jpeg

Wfi0pBvl_t.jpeg

waV1mr1w_t.jpeg
sh6p4wSp_t.jpeg

Shot at Philip Johnson's Glass House, the photographer fires 16 cameras all at the same time. Meaning one sitting, different angles. Quite innovative!

Photographer: Barbara Probst
Production: Wei-Li Wang
Fashion Editor: Matt Holmes
Hair: Shinya Nakagawa
Makeup: Ai Yokomizo
Model: Luisana Gonzalez, Mali Koopman and Reilly Patton.

2BVy3BTA_t.jpeg

ZvTgyJn2_t.jpeg
R4d9uJAi_t.jpeg
8Jl7NJje_t.jpeg
sf81FX6E_t.jpeg

Last edited:
Pas De Deux. The idea was apparently to style the models as if they're either siblings or lovers (or given this magazine, both) The gist of it basically pairs female and male runway looks together. And there too I'm not getting it. But oh well.

Photographer: Estelle Hanania
Production: Mathieu Le Denmat & Location scout - Catherine Gamard
Fashion Editor: Brian Molloy
Hair: Pawel Solis
Makeup: Anthony Preel
Model: Jamily Wernke Meurer and Ewan

mCsOm86N_t.jpeg

Focus on brands inspired by Bernadette Corporation......

Photographer: Annie Powers
Production: Wei-Li Wang
Set Designer: Julia Wagner
Fashion Editor: Stella Greenspan
Hair: Edward Lampley
Makeup: Emi Kaneko
Model: Anok Yai
Shot at Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation

PjWoogBT_t.jpeg

The Human Future

Photographer: Nadine Ijewere
Production: Qui Productions
Set Designer: Gille Mills
Fashion Editor: Gabriella Karefa-Johnson
Hair: Ramsell Martinez
Makeup: Tsipporah Liebman
Model: Achok Majak

43PW2m11_t.jpeg

Miu Miu advertorial starring, as much as I can gather, actresses from Nigeria's Nollywood industry.

Photographer: Ruth Ossai
Fashion Editor: Daniel Obasi
Hair: Rejoice Toochi
Makeup: Ezeugwu Ogechukwu & Lauretta Oorji
Model: Vivian Chime, Ema Edosio, Titus Promise Odinaka, Kingsley Odoh, Lilian Ogbuchi, Lilian Ohaeri,Rachel Uche Omeje, Attama Precious, Ugwu Chidinma Precious, Merenma Umeh

Cub5qrQl_t.jpeg
VCwC63SV_t.jpeg
FbX3lfCy_t.jpeg

l1LkQ9c5_t.jpeg

ewMGu1V8_t.jpeg
x6qBNlZz_t.jpeg

Digital celebrity Lol'Miquela superimposed in some of the most iconic pop culture images, wearing A/W brands. The type of idea which would be masterminded by US Harper's, only they would never dare show a women's pubes in the magazine. :rofl:

Digital retouching: Art Post
Fashion Editor: Gabriella Karefa-Johnson
Hair: Cyndia Harvey

CV9dr99q_t.jpeg
1NbkNNWX_t.jpeg
4WeyZG7v_t.jpeg
RbtE4kOr_t.jpeg
Xeb472XI_t.jpeg
Tmxiws44_t.jpeg

I quite like Annie Powers and Nadine Ijewere's editorials. But this magazine is a complete hit or miss. And when they miss, they DO miss. Some of these editorials are way too amateurish.

True, not a very strong set of edits, but there's more to appreciate than what you'd find in your average Vogue. And not a single grey-walled studio edit in sight! Really like the Probst edit. I not only admire her skill, but also the details she chose to highlight in the shots. It's still very much a fashion editorial. Definitely the Momo Okabe story photographed in Tokyo too, and some of the shots in the Speedo advertorial.

I think I'm slowly beginning to find more value in alternative magazines purely because of the sheer amount of conception and production value which goes into their fashion edits. There's a story behind every one of the features posted so far, including Rihanna's. The Nigerian edit is definitely NOT to my taste at all, but it's a great concept, so is the Bernadette Corporation edit, and even the boy/girl one. I still don't like their styling approach in most directions (trying to see how much clothes they can pile on one person!), but I guess that's very much the style now.

If Vogue, Elle and Harper's are wondering where their advertisers are disappearing to, this is where they're at!

There's something about the Momo Okabe editorial that I really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->