Gary Graham S/S 10 New York

Reaction score
NEW YORK, September 11, 2009

By Laird Borrelli-Persson

Think you're having a busy week? Fashion Fund finalist Gary Graham shot his lookbook on Friday. On Thursday he opened his new Tribeca flagship for Fashion's Night Out. (Theo Kogan performed.) And the day before that he was photographed for Vogue with Sasha Pivovarova. "To see your favorite model in your clothes is a dream come true," he said at the end of the hectic week, still walking on air.

Despite the seeming suddenness of his success, Graham has actually been in business for almost ten years, and the collection had a maturity and quiet confidence that can only come from experience. Graham has, obviously, found his voice by now, but he remains excited and challenged by his craft. This season he expanded his universe by adding a frisson of S-E-X to his rustic (by way of Disfarmer and Walker Evans) leanings. "I love anything Victorian—petticoats, corsets, that covered-up feeling," he said. "But I'm trying to be less literal and more relaxed about the details, so I can bring them to a new customer."

Well, there should be plenty of those. And—with both Nancy Spungen and Lillian Gish on his inspiration board—they'll be a diverse lot, too.

A grunge-y distressed-flannel print and some "grandpa" suits with off-kilter waistlines and outsize proportions (described by Graham as having a Bukowski barfly edge) added a tomboy counterpoint to the romantic embroidered and beaded pieces, some of which were inspired by old sheets and bedspreads. But nothing was too pretty. Graham's work always has a Miss Havisham quality to it—as evidenced here by shredded details, an eighteenth-century floral fabric "rubbed out" with bleach, and a bustier that looked like it had been torn off a decaying gown. Beautiful rot, indeed.
07m-2.jpg
01m-3.jpg

05m-3.jpg
06m-3.jpg

09m-2.jpg
25m.jpg

source: style.com

oh very nice! I see a little bit of steampunk in this, lovely styling as well!

Lovely and not boring at all.
My favourite NY collection so far

This is wonderful, especially compared to some of the NY collections that appear to be quite repetitive. I'm sorry to have only now just heard of him. And I can't wait to see him featured in Vogue.

Some beautiful pieces. So glad that someone in NYC has something different to offer us. I love the pieces with sheer fabric, especially the sheer jacket look 1 in #5 and the sheer draping look 1 in #3.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for posting this vestpertine. so happy he is getting the recognition he deserves, its been a long road but a steady one upstream.

i know the models are tall but his clothing does seem to accentuate the waist and elongate the body. this reminds me a bit of lilith...another brand i love every season.

i look forward to gary graham every season. i love the choice of fabric's this one.

Not his strongest, but still very nice... the good pieces are REALLY good..
I love the look of the ankle boots as well... the setting is subtle yet interesting...

love the nude effect

luckyme....me too! he's such a diamond in the ruff,imo. i cannot understand for the life of me why doesn't get the attention as opposed to say rodarte girls(who i love but i think it's a bit too much sometimes) because he's always so consistent and genuine.

mmmm yes. i adore the styling and the mirror concept. the first five looks are incredible, for me the middle of the collection dwindles a tad bit, but then comes back so strong at the end with the last two looks. overall a unique and fabulous collection.

I agree lucky, so nice to see some exposure. aw.. lovely :heart:

A lot of the individual pieces seem great, they are just overwhelmed by the styling. Its quite nice though

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->