Gaultier To Exhibit Pieces Of Bread

ignitioned32

Mannikin
Reaction score
Originally posted by vogue.co.uk
BREAD OF HEAVEN

JEAN PAUL GAULTIER is putting carbs back in fashion. The designer is currently working on an exhibition of pieces made of bread for the Cartier art museum in Paris. The show, that is due to open on June 6, is entitled 'Pain Couture' and is, a spokesman for JPG tells Women's Wear Daily, an attempt to make art and fashion more "vital" by using a basic of human sustenance. Visitors to the museum will even receive a freebie Gaultier-inspired baguette, baked fresh on the premises, as they leave… In other Gaultier news, this month's Vogue investigates his rampage onto the Hermes catwalk, where he debuted during Paris Fashion Week in March. And, according to the man himself, landing the job was all his own work. "I did not accept the position: I proposed it," he admits. "Mr Dumas (the Hermes president), had called me as Martin Margiela (the outgoing womenswear designer) was leaving - by the way, I think he did marvelous things, truly pure, minimal and just right at the right time - and asked me for my opinion. I suggested some names and he did not say anything. Later, at home, I thought, what about me to do it? I love my work and this was a challenge - I had always imagined what I would do at Hermes. I phoned Dumas and said maybe I have someone for you: we had lunch and that was that." (May 11 2004, AM)

an attempt to make art and fashion more "vital" by using a basic of human sustenance.

That's the dumbest, most warped line of logic I've heard in a good while.... :rolleyes:

ok, i really find this idea ridiculous,
honestly what is the latest obsession with bread all about?
(is Jean Paul been somehow inspired by Her Karl's bread perfumes?)

i wouldnt mind visiting the exhibition, but i find it too pretentious.
not to say that i find 'bread art' a little bit arrogant
since in some parts of the world, it is still considered a ...luxury :ninja:

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@May 12th, 2004 - 8:21 am
I think I'm overtired, because this topic is not making sense at all. :doh:
no that's ok... it does make no sense
the content and the way it has been written...
bread project (wtf) and how he got the hermes jjob, just banged together...terrible!

should i warm the bed for u?

you guys are going to think i am crazy but i "get it" in a wierd way. i think that several people are having trouble swearing off bread with the proliferation of no carb/low carb diets. but this just goes to show you how limited one's view of the world is sometimes. while among my friends and (i'm sure) among many starving fashionistas, not having bread and carbs is a regular and everyday part of our existence, i think many people just look at this and think what's the big deal.

:huh:

Originally posted by British Vogue
GAULTIER'S BRITISH BREAD

jpgaultierBreaddesignREXB.jpg

JEAN PAUL GAULTIER was forced to employ British bakers to create his latest designs. The Paris-based fashion designer, whose Pain et Culture exhibition opened in the Fondation Cartier yesterday, spent months working his most famous designs into bread sculptures. But he couldn't get any help at home. "Their reaction was: 'You're out of your mind,' said British-based artist Souhed Nemlaghi, who came up with the bread idea originally, of the French bakers that they approached about the project. When the project was deemed too large for French ovens, Gaultier and Nemlaghi turned to a team of British sculptors, engineers and a baker from Wandsworth for help. And the results, which include a bread model of Gaultier's famed conical bra dress, are no less than impressive. "When the French bakers saw what we had done, they took their hats off to us," goes on Nemlaghi. "It's not that they didn't have the savoir-faire. They were just unwilling to have a go." (June 7 2004, AM)

How can your designs in bread make fashion more "vital"? :blink: :rolleyes:

More photos to follow up on ignitioned32's photo

r1478861287.jpg

A French baker stands next to a bread creation by French designer Jean-Paul Gaultier put on display at the Cartier Foundation for Contemporary Art in Paris June 15, 2004. Gaultier turned the foundation into a gigantic bakery with designs made of bread and wicker. The bread creations have been produced by l'Equipe de France de Boulangerie. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen/FEATURE/FRANCE-BREAD-FASHION

Check out that sexy baker's uniform! :chef: :crush:

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Jun 16th, 2004 - 1:43 pm
Why must the breasts be so strange? I don't like it.

I'd rather eat bread.
That's why... :wink:

madonna.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brier Bunny
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->