Reaction score
STYLES 2005 FASHION & AWARDS SHOW

Tuesday, May 17th
7:30pm - 11:30pm

Hammerstein Ballroom
311 West 34th Street
(b/w 8th & 9th Avenues)

* Featuring 30 fashion designers *

Finalists culled from over 850 submissions from 25 countries & 29 U.S. States...

Showcased on the 60 foot catwalk in one of New York City's most magnificent venues...

Battling for $35,000 in awards...

Evening's Emcee
Mariel Hemingway

* Judging Panel:
supermodel Maggie Rizer
designer Catherine Malandrino
designer Jill Stuart
designer Cynthia Steffe
designer Zang Toi
designer Norma Kamali
Carson Kressley (Queer Eye)
Brana Wolf (Harpers Bazaar)
Joan Kaner (Neiman Marcus)
Mary Alice Stephenson (journalist/host)
Rebecca Weinberg (emmy winning stylist)

Award Presenters include:
Jay McCarroll - Winner of "Project Runway"

5 Design Vision Awards
(with $5,000 grant)

1 Perrier Bubbling Under Award
(with $10,000 grant)

Evening's Schedule
7:30: Pre-reception
8:30: Fashion Show & Awards
9:30 - 11:30: Party in 10,000 sq ft Backstage

Sounds by:

Complimentary beverages all evening courtesy of:
Beck's Premier Light, Boru Vodka & Perrier

Models provided by:
IMG MODELS & WILHELMINA MODELS

Aerial Performances by:
Imago Performance Artists

SHOWCASED DESIGN FINALISTS
(hailing from 7 countries & 7 U.S. States)

IN:NYCSM CARD DESIGN VISION AWARD FOR EVENINGWEAR:
Joynoelle, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Karolina Zmarlak, New York, New York-Winner
Neon, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Rodarte, Pasadena, California
Stella Rey, Brooklyn New York

IN:NYCSM CARD DESIGN VISION AWARD ACCESSORIES:
Berrymatch L.L.C., New York, New York
BYLU, New York, New York
Damselfly, Richmond, Victoria, Australia
Kristen Lee, New York, New York
Lulu Frost, New York, New York-Winner

EXPRESS DESIGN VISION AWARD FOR READY TO WEAR:
The Avant, Barcelona, Spain-Winner
Beckerman, New York, New York
Laila Azhar, New York, New York
Rodarte, Pasadena, California
Yukihiro Murata, Brooklyn, New York

PROJECT GLOBAL TRADESHOW DESIGN VISION AWARD MENSWEAR:
Brian Wood Exclusive Inc., New York, New York
Kapadia, New York, New York
Omar Kashoura, London, England
Plan B Jeans, New York, New York
Tomer, Austin, Texas-Winner

GEN ART DESIGN VISION AWARD FOR AVANT GARDE:
Anrealage, Tokyo, Japan-Winner
Antonio Chae Kyuin, Paris, France
Beckerman, New York, New York
Joelle Jean Fontaine, Brooklyn, New York
Sung Yong Jung, Elmhurst, New York

PERRIER “BUBBLING UNDER” AWARD:
Ashley Reid, Danfuskie Island, South Carolina
Galina Monaco, Astoria, New York
Patricia Samaniego, Las Vegas, Nevada-Winner (?) I can't remember
Reuben Amollo, Lansdowne, Pennsylvania
Terence Luk, Los Angeles, California

Shoes provided by:

I attended the event last night. For each award category, 2 designs by each finalist were presented. While the judges tallied their votes, there were videos shown (finalists in award categories that were not given live) and also two performances by Imago (an acrobat who perfomed suspended from the ceiling by a long piece of fabric). The winning designers kept their speeches very short(5 -15 seconds). It was announced that each winner received $5,000.

Mariel and her daughter seemed very unprepared. Mariel in particular kept flubbing words and seemed aq little confused. There was supposed to be an intro video featuring Jay McCarroll, however due to technical difficulties that had to be scrapped. Jay himself came on stage to present the Avant Garde award at the end of the ceremony. One of the models from the Project Runway show was also there (a young Black woman), modeling the "must-have" handbag.

In the lobby of the venue, there were display cases featuring samples of the accessories that were nominated for the Vision Award-Accessories, as well as design boards of the finalists in the Perrier Bubbling Under Award competition.

There was a free on-site after party. I was not able to stay long but I did see Joan Kaner of Neiman Marcus. She was leaving as I was entering the party
area.

Overall it was well put together. Some of the designs were a bit derivative but everyone did a great job.

wow, sounds like a great, fun fashion fashion event! wish i could have been there! :smile: thanks for the info~ :flower:would love to see some pics as they become available

Hammer (stein) Time!
A Moment With Mariel Hemingway at Gen Art Styles '05

NEW YORK: Wednesday, May 18, 2005
05.18.05GenArt_Ian_Mariel_Dree_Jay.jpg
Last night at the Hammerstein Ballroom, 30 designers displayed their goods for a panel of the fashion industry’s finest, including Norma Kamali, a very pregnant but gorgeously glowing Mary Alice Stephenson, and stylist Rebecca Weinberg, in a bid for over $35,000 in cash prizes. This year’s 7th Annual Gen Art Styles 2005 international competition, keeping to the “model-as-MC” tradition (last year’s was America’s Next Top Model winner Yoanna House), was hosted by Mariel Hemingway and her model daughter Dree Crisman.

Although there were a few mishaps (Jay McCaroll’s introduction video had technical difficulties; models missed their cues; there were some obvious ill-fitting shoes; Hemingway confused some awards: “I’m just testing you all to see if you know I’m the MC,” she laughed), they only added to the casual, fun atmosphere that’s such a far cry from the city’s traditional shows. Between each category—and adding to the unique scene—were aerial acrobatic performances a-la-Cirque du Soleil by the insanely flexible Imago—a change from last year’s meet-the-judges format. After the final runway presentation, Mariel—ever the gracious host—mingled with the crowd at the after-party backstage where The Daily caught up with her just before she bailed.

How did you end up hosting the show?
“My daughter’s with Ford [Models]. I’m with Ford. I love fashion and I think it’s great that Gen Art gives this opportunity to new designers and to new talent that we might not get the opportunity to see. It brings awareness to new faces, to new energy, to new creativity out there.”

Who are you wearing tonight?
“I’m wearing Lloyd Klein.”

And your necklace?
“It’s last year’s jewelry design winner, Nicole Landaw I think that’s who it is. I’ve just been so swept up in everything.”

Was there any piece in particular that you liked this evening?
“There were several pieces that I enjoyed. You can tell that they’re all very new and—hi, I’m 43! I think my daughter was like ‘Yeah, that’s cool’ but it’s just a different mentality. It’s nice and I like it but you look at it in a different perspective. I think shows like this show a more artistic bent as opposed to the regular ones.”

Are you going to be at any of the Fashion Weeks this year, like New York in September?
“It’s quite possible, very possible. Dree will probably be working a little bit so you might see me there.”

What are you doing now to get ready for summer?
“I’ve worked out for like 40 years so I don’t have to start that, which is nice. I’ve been doing yoga for 20 years—I have a yoga company so I do that everyday.”

Imago was showing off her own flexibility. What did you think?
“Incredible! And I thought yoga was hard!”

So all you need is daily yoga to be set for summer?
“Yes. I don’t have to worry about the whole bathing suit thing but I also avoid them. You know, just some fake tan-on and I’m all good.”
TANGIE SILVA

And the winner's are...

Eveningwear: Karolina Zmarlak

05.18.05GEN_ART_KarolinaZmarlak1.jpg
05.18.05GEN_ART_KarolinaZmarlak2.jpg

Perrier Bubbling Under Award for "Natural" Design Concepts: Ashley Reid

05.18.05ashleyreid051705GenArt38el.jpg

Women's Ready to Wear: The Avant by Silvia G. Presas

05.18.05GEN_ART_TheAvant1.jpg
05.18.05GEN_ART_TheAvant2.jpg

Menswear: Omar Kashoura

05.18.05GEN_ART_OmarKashoura2.jpg
05.18.05GEN_ART_OmarKashoura1.jpg

Accessories: Lulu Frost by Lisa Salzer

05.18.05051705GenArt_LuluFrost.jpg
05.18.05LULU_FROST_clocks.jpg

Avant Garde: Anrealage by Kunihiko Morinaga

05.18.05GEN_ART_Anrealage.jpg
05.18.05GEN_ART_Anrealage2.jpg

Project Global Tradeshows Booth: Tomer

Yay, thank you for this stylegurrl. I think genart can be very interesting although I find most of these photos disappointing...Hopefully someone will post more
:heart:

:heart: the silver lthr blazer and black waistcoat w/chains!!!

I would love to see more pics as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
koitoast
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->