Gillian Jacobs

StarsInHerEyes

Reaction score
Jacobs grew up in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania suburb of Mt. Lebanon. She made her name locally at the Pittsburgh Public Theater. There she was a perennial contender in the Public's Shakespeare Monologue Contest, which led to her being cast as Titania in their production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. After graduating from Mt. Lebanon High School in 2000, Jacobs moved to New York to study acting at Juilliard.

Jacobs's first national exposure came in her recurring role as Adele Congreve on the television series The Book of Daniel. Although she played Kimberly in the pilot Traveler, the role was recast when ABC picked up the show.

In 2006, Jacobs starred off-broadway in Chris Denham's cagelove. While overall critical reaction to the play was negative, Jacobs earned praise in several reviews. The New York Times advised readers to "make sure to remember the name of Gillian Jacobs, a stunning Juilliard graduate who has the glow of a star in the making". Among her other theater credits are The Fabulous Life of a Size Zero (2007) and The Little Flower of East Orange (2008), directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman. Jacobs's recent film work includes Gardens of the Night (2007); writer-director Adam Rapp's Blackbird (2007); and Choke (2008), based on the Chuck Palahniuk novel, and the films Watching TV with the Red Chinese and The Box. She currently stars in Community on NBC.

And from Interview Magazine:

Gillian Jacobs

By LUCY SILBERMAN

gillian11.jpg

On the first day shooting the new film Choke, 25-year-old Gillian Jacobs found herself standing on a stage wearing nothing but underwear and a pair of 5-inch heels as she tried to convince everyone on the set that she was a stripper named Cherry Daiquiri. Luckily for Jacobs, it wasn't her first twirl around a pole. In the 2007 Adam Rapp-directed indie film Blackbird, she played a runaway-turned-exotic dancer. She researched that role by taking her first trip to a strip club and later attempting to choreograph her own striptease while her family prepared Thanksgiving dinner downstairs.

While one might not expect a performing-arts school graduate like Jacobs to practically have a degree in stripping, the actress's small but growing list of stage and screen credits has given her an opportunity to learn all kinds of things. Just a few years out of Juilliard, she's already played a r*pe victim (in a stage production called Cagelove), a drug addict (in the Philip Seymour Hoffman-directed play The Little Flower of East Orange), and a homeless teenage prostitute (in the forthcoming film Gardens of Night). "I thought I was going to be the ingenue, playing Juliet in Romeo and Juliet or some innocent young thing, and instead I'm playing these lost girls," says the girl who spent her teenage years in her hometown of Pittsburgh poring over American Theatre magazine with earnest visions of one day starring Off-Broadway. "I'm not conservative, but I am kind of clean living in my own life. I've had to learn how to fake taking drugs-I've snorted fake coke, smoked fake -her-oin. It's been an education." Jacobs says that part of what has attracted her to these characters is the opportunity to prove that there is more to them than addiction and anguish. "There's always been something about the character that's drawn me to them," she explains. "I think what's common in all of them is vulnerability."

In Choke, based on the Chuck Palahniuk novel, Jacobs's character Cherry-secretly wise with the proverbial heart of gold-falls for the well-meaning best friend (Brad William Henke) of the film's protagonist, a scam artist played by Sam Rockwell. Both men are professional historical reenactors with sexual dysfunctions, and Cherry's love interest is a chronic masturbator. "We shot the strip club scenes at this place called Titillations in New Jersey," recalls Jacobs, who thought she recognized the location recently on a TV show. "I was actually watching a rerun the other day, and I was like, ‘I recognize that place! I've seen that swing before!'"

Fortunately, Jacobs's next role, in Donnie Darko-director Richard Kelly's new thriller, The Box, offers somewhat of a reprieve from her usual bump-and-grind. "I play a babysitter," she says. "So I don't have to take my clothes off in that one."

interviewmagazine.com

Love her in Community as Britta!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actress Gillian Jacobs arrives at the 2011 Film Independent Spirit Awards at Santa Monica Beach on February 26, 2011 in Santa Monica, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+2011+Film+Independent+Spirit+XOBof7hTGtil.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+2011+Film+Independent+Spirit+dsBzrDmRbMll.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs attends the Fourth Annual Women In Film Pre-Oscar Cocktail Party Presented by Perrier-Jouet at Soho House on February 25, 2011 in West Hollywood, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+Fourth+Annual+Women+Film+Pre+EsTDqJTop1hl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+Fourth+Annual+Women+Film+Pre+eceUsxjfXipl.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs attends the 61st annual ACE Eddie Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on February 19, 2011 in Beverly Hills, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+61st+Annual+ACE+Eddie+Awards+Xym9V0CBsktl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+61st+Annual+ACE+Eddie+Awards+4oL9tiohZl7l.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs attends Vanity Fair Campaign Hollywood 2011's Richard Mille Toasts Fox Searchlight Films held at Bar Marmont on February 24, 2011 in Hollywood, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+Vanity+Fair+Campaign+Hollywood+mPtSCPfb0tyl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+Vanity+Fair+Campaign+Hollywood+g8SUs6iLRrFl.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs arrives at Entertainment Weekly’s celebration honoring the 17th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards nominees hosted by Jess Cagle and presented by L’Oreal Paris at Chateau Marmont on January 29, 2011 in Los Angeles, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+Entertainment+Weekly+17th+Annual+RJTO6grqkJ7l.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+Entertainment+Weekly+17th+Annual+A4NhMvk5o2ll.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs arrives at ELLE Women In Television event at Soho House on January 27, 2011 in West Hollywood, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+ELLE+Women+Television+Event+3SLgeLsIkoul.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+ELLE+Women+Television+Event+Ui7uFUH77kml.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs arrives at NBC Universal's 68th Annual Golden Globes After Party held at The Beverly Hilton hotel on January 16, 2011 in Beverly Hills, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+NBC+Universal+68th+Annual+Golden+O4RC88tNUVEl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+NBC+Universal+68th+Annual+Golden+jdiDozGl10rl.jpg

zimbio

"Jerusalem" Broadway Opening Night

Gillian+Jacobs+Jerusalem+Broadway+Opening+v0HXSyIZzySl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+Jerusalem+Broadway+Opening+RfzZQb6XWvRl.jpg

zimbio

ELLE's 2nd Annual Women In Music Event - Arrivals

Gillian+Jacobs+ELLE+2nd+Annual+Women+Music+57qVolB50JUl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+ELLE+2nd+Annual+Women+Music+2S5dODId9JEl.jpg

zimbio

Paley Center For Media's Paleyfest 2011 Event Honoring "Community"

Gillian+Jacobs+Paley+Center+Media+Paleyfest+COielbaSL0Yl.jpg

Gillian+Jacobs+Paley+Center+Media+Paleyfest+XsCLRYu0Gjgl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+Paley+Center+Media+Paleyfest+OPob-pqCctIl.jpg

zimbio

Actress Gillian Jacobs arrives at the Critics' Choice Television Awards at Beverly Hills Hotel on June 20, 2011 in Beverly Hills, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+Critics+Choice+Television+Awards+nDS34UHxKBLl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+Critics+Choice+Television+Awards+KNAQ1DnyVI4l.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs attends the Premiere of Universal Pictures "Cowboys & Aliens" during Comic-Con 2011 at San Diego Civic Theatre on July 23, 2011 in San Diego, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+Premiere+Universal+Pictures+rq_t_HAyjfml.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+Premiere+Universal+Pictures+D22fFSsS5Ael.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs arrives at the NBC Universal TCA 2011 Press Tour All-Star Party at the SLS Hotel on August 1, 2011 in Los Angeles, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+NBC+Universal+TCA+2011+Press+6hu0hmhI74el.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+NBC+Universal+TCA+2011+Press+cl_02FOXghRl.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs arrives at the 2011 Teen Choice Awards held at the Gibson Amphitheatre on August 7, 2011 in Universal City, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+2011+Teen+Choice+Awards+Arrivals+DwYlLYZAiwMl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+2011+Teen+Choice+Awards+Arrivals+k_l7ArtR_Jul.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs attends The 2011 Entertainment Weekly And Women In Film Pre-Emmy Party Sponsored By L'Oreal at BOA Steakhouse on September 16, 2011 in West Hollywood, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+2011+Entertainment+Weekly+Women+WGccaGI_SkKl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+2011+Entertainment+Weekly+Women+_kqEEQGj71Sl.jpg

Actress Gillain Jacobs at ELLE's 18th Annual Women in Hollywood Tribute held at the Four Seasons Hotel on October 17, 2011 in Los Angeles, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+ELLE+18th+Annual+Women+Hollywood+y_m6TTuMvhml.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+ELLE+18th+Annual+Women+Hollywood+4xQl0pZyCgFl.jpg

Actress Gillian Jacobs attends The Paley Center For Media's PaleyFest 2012 Honoring "Community" at the Saban Theatre on March 3, 2012 in Beverly Hills, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+Paley+Center+Media+PaleyFest+6tdc7phenvFl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+Paley+Center+Media+PaleyFest+oDHr7MIrzK9l.jpg
zimbio

Actress Gillian Jacobs attends the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival and American Express LA reception held at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on March 19, 2012 in Beverly Hills, California.
Gillian+Jacobs+2012+Tribeca+Film+Festival+Bdy5WP1tiEQl.jpg
Gillian+Jacobs+2012+Tribeca+Film+Festival+599nWz6TdS4l.jpg
zimbio

2010 VH1 Do Something Awards in Hollywood - July 19, 2010

tlfan

8th Annual BAFTA-LA TV Tea Party in Century City - August 28, 2010

tlfan

ELLE's 17th Annual Women in Hollywood Tribute in Beverly Hills - October 18, 2010

tlfan

HFPA InStyle Party Announcing Miss Golden Globe 2011 in LA - December 9, 2010

tlfan

Lucky Celebrates It's March Issue in Hollywood - February 3, 2011

tlfan

Attends The Concept St. John Oscar Luncheon Honoring Celine Rattray in Los Angeles - February 22, 2011

tlfan

Rolling Stone's Awards Weekend Bash at Drai's Hollywood - February 26, 2011

tlfan

Montblanc Presents West Coast Debut Of The 24 Hour Plays in Santa Monica - June 18, 2011

tlfan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozilya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->