Givenchy Haute Couture F/W 2009.10 Paris

I actually am not that thrilled with this collection. That's not to say that there aren't beautiful pieces here (Lara's and Lakshmi's in particular)...but on the whole, it's just not that great.

This is the first time that I can say that I would agree with Cathy Horyn's beef with Riccardo...for the most part, I feel like this collection is nice clothes that rely on styling to create a look, instead of actually designing incredible clothes (like Spring/ Summer 2007, for example). Everything is sort of all over the place, too.

And in all honesty, I kind of feel like this isn't very refined, either. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly that gives me that impression. Maybe it's the embellishment, maybe it's the jewelry (the rings are so ridiculous...ring pops anyone?), maybe it's the cheap color of the gold, I can't really say for sure.

i feel like this collection is absolutely flawless until the last look. the jewelry that looks like weapons, the embroidery, the shapes. everything is so gorgeous. I especially love the fur jacket on Magdalena. How great is it to cover a fur jacket (which lets face it, is dead animals) with deadly weapons. Its luxurious and violent and I love it.

The last dress is a misstep for me. How many times has the keffiyah been done. It was played out a few years ago. Couture is supposed to move us ahead, not to the sale bin at urban outfitters. With so many strong looks in the collection, why end on a weak note.

Crazy beautiful, classic Tisci. I'm not gonna over-analyze because let's face it the clothes speak for themselves but I like the amalgamation of references and styling.

Guys I was there. I'm just shocked. It was AMAZING!

The location was wonderful, dans le 5me arrondisement, outdoor. The music was really nice andthe clothes are MAJOR.

Everybody loved it. Carine Roitfeld sent a really sweet sms to Ricky... He was really happy!

OMG what a stunning collection!!!! One of the best of the season!

Guys I was there. I'm just shocked. It was AMAZING!

The location was wonderful, dans le 5me arrondisement, outdoor. The music was really nice andthe clothes are MAJOR.

Everybody loved it. Carine Roitfeld sent a really sweet sms to Ricky... He was really happy!

Elijya ... could you tell the place exactly ?
I know I know it but cannot put a name on it ! And it's kind of disturbing me since yesterday evening ... I even asked my mum !:lol:

And did Carine really text him during the show ????
:blink:

I'm so happy for him that everybody loved it !

Ugh, I wrote a big long thought out post that was lost :(

In short, I love the styling and I have no problem with it's use to evoke an idea, even if the shapes themselves aren't completely fresh. It's a really beautiful, interesting collection and I think it's freshness is derived from the brightness of the gold and the much more covered Islamic references. The "mask" pulls heavily from an Emirati burqa/abaya. Also the coin/metal jacket chain reminds me of the crescent moon of Islam. So beautiful :heart:

I also wonder if Eddie Borgo did some of the spiked jewelry - anyone know?

For reference to an Emirati abaya
burga11.jpg

khaleejia's life

Last edited by a moderator:
everything is lovely, dresses & jackets mostly (i LOVE the spikes, the arm-wraparounds, even those boots everyone hates..mmph i want them)....

..but i absolutely CANNOT get behind those harem pants. UGH, they are so unflattering!!!

it´s absolutely perfect work... incredible, stunning, dark and artistic, i´m totally impressed :woot:

Ugh, I wrote a big long thought out post that was lost :(

In short, I love the styling and I have no problem with it's use to evoke an idea, even if the shapes themselves aren't completely fresh. It's a really beautiful, interesting collection and I think it's freshness is derived from the brightness of the gold and the much more covered Islamic references. The "mask" pulls heavily from an Emirati burqa/abaya. Also the coin/metal jacket chain reminds me of the crescent moon of Islam. So beautiful :heart:

I also wonder if Eddie Borgo did some of the spiked jewelry - anyone know?

For reference to an Emirati abaya

khaleejia's life

currently in France, there's a big deal about burqa ... Our President wants to forbide them ....
* no comment *

I wonder if this french political thing can't be found in this collection ...
I doubt, but still ... in France it can echoe this ...

And I'm sure some critics will start their texts like "While in France, we talk about the burqa, Tisci show us on the catwalk that the burqa can be sooo delightfull !"

Absolutely stunning collection from Tisci, and the styling was perfect

Some pieces are really incredible (orange ombre dress and the three white wedding-like dresses), and as a whole it's amazing. A work of art, Tisci is still hemming his potential (has yet to reach it, imo), and I look forward to every collection...this collection is one of the reasons why.

I knew Riccardo wouldn´t let me down, great collection :heart:

One of the best, if not, the best this season. Way to go Ricardo!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->