Givenchy Pre-Fall 2009

The.Rock.Inc.

Reaction score
Summoning his signature brew of dark romanticism and Latin influences, Riccardo Tisci drew inspiration from Peruvian diva Yma Sumac and Mexican painter Frida Kahlo, particularly their self-assured ways of wearing severe looks, for the house’s pre-fall lineup.

givenchy1.jpg
givenchy2.jpg

givenchy3.jpg
givenchy4.jpg

givenchy5.jpg
givenchy6.jpg

WWD

Last edited by a moderator:
eh, a weak collection in my perspective. What is the point of pairing light denim with a black shirt? Just to do something different even at the expense of it looking bad? Maybe it's just me, but I hate pairing a light very stonewashed bottom with a black top. Dont like the brown chevron, the boots or the feathery clutches.

I see the Couture influence from Fall 2008 and also some Spring 2009 influence. This is obviously a diffusion of both collections mixed in with a few new touches ie. Ostrich feathered bags, coats and gloves.

I like it a lot. It's not necessarily progressive but what Resort/Pre-Fall collection is? It's just an opportunity to reflect on past ideas and introduce new aesthetics.

Either way I'm happy with this because it seems more gothic and sensual than Spring 2009 (which was lacking in this very Tisci-esque drama).

The fur gloves are so bad!

But I'm like the baby blue with the all-time-there black.

And agree with helmut.newton about the couture influences, especially the last blazer. Love it :smile:

I want to like this but I just can't. It honestly just looks like a mash-up of every one of the past Givenchy collections. Then the jeans are really out of place. There's no sense of direction at all. The same dark gothic aesthetic is still there that I love, but it's just poorly executed. :(

that's why I LOVE you Ricardo Tisci [2]

And that's why I always loved Givenchy!

Another collection inspired by Yma Sumac? Seriously, she's a cool singer, but she's very over the top/ Mondo Bongo/exotica/ glamor diva...very Dior, if you ask me. I don't know what Tisci's obsession with her is all about...

Also, he's done three, now four, collections inspired by Latin America. I mean, I like the idea of a continuing mood that lasts more than a single season, but I feel like he's just making the same clothes, using the same fabrics, same styling, etc. To be honest, though, when he said he was inspired by Frida Khalo for this collection, I was totally excited (only to be disappointed). Come on, Riccardo, you could have done SOOO much with Khalo as an inspiration. He could have played with death, rebirth, color, macabre, bondage, etc...Frida is totally Tisci.

Anyway...the only thing I like about this, really, is the striped blouse outfit (the same stripes as the Couture collection).

The gloves with the feather trim do not look nice, however i love the blouses. :heart:

Well, the jeans are too Lagerfeld to me... And I agree that it's kind of a continuation from the past couture show.

the blue shoes and jeans immediately reminded me of chanel.

^^^ Good, someone said it. I was just about to say, " WTF is this? Givenchy or Chanel?"

actually i think the yma influence is more in the silhouette--he did say that it was how they wore severe clothes. and she did.

I don't mind it, generally, but I hate those blue boots.

I know Pre-Fall is not going to be the most exciting, but it's all been so blah

indeed, the feather-y stuff looks rather strange, but i like the continuity of last couture show's motives for Givenchy. feels like Tisci keeps working on a story to tell. strange though it's such a small collection considering mid-season collections are the ones to sell better and spend more time in boutiques.

it's pretty, it's wearable, and it's not so boring for a pre-fall presentation.
i like the transparency and i like that he used that fabric on the last top (just like the one in the couture collection ¿fw07?)

I must say, I'm really enjoying this... this is what Olivier Theyskens should have done these days, would he have been given a house closer to his personal aethetics... instead of the uninspired stuff he is designing at Nina Ricci. I am seeing just the right mix of classy sophistication and a youthful, streetwise injection. I am even loving the feathered gloves and acid-wash jeans... the washing is lightyears better than the crap that Karl Lagerfeld is doing himself.

Overall, I think it shows Riccardo is comfortable and stable with his aesthetics, I commend that he slowly evolves and revisits some of his prior works, instead of discarding them or hasting from one referenc point to another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apriloneil1987
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->