Matthew M. Williams - Designer, Creative Director of Givenchy

Creative

Reaction score
Hello! It's been a long time, and I'm not sure if this thread goes against the rules or not since I haven't had any time to be in here for ages. Just read them real quick and it should be OK.

So, now that we are all quarantined, I open this thread to ask you the following question: who will take the reigns of Givenchy now that Clare is out?

A friend of mine and I think they could be talking with Jacquemus. There aren't really big names left, only Alber (but he was supposedly preparing something), Marc Jacobs, Pilati with his tiny brand, Frida... And who else?

I don't think they would give Givenchy to an unknown since it doesn't have any identity at all, and I guess they want a secure project now considering all that's happening...

Also, it would be great to talk about your wishes:wink:

Considering the situation we are in and the state of the fashion industry (creatively wise) I can expect the worst. Since it's all about money LVMH will probably look for a designer who is going to bring hype and attract young clientele.

Jacquemus indeed sounds like a possible choice. Insta kids love his stuff, plus he hangs out with Kardashians, which means even more publicity.

When it comes to my wishes I would love to see Marc Jacobs at the helm.

@helmutnotdead Where did you get that info?

olivier rousteing was also rumoured, but alyx guy makes more sense

I heard about Matthew as well, it's probably true. I like his Alyx to be honest, I'm just worried we'll get seriously underwhelming couture.

I can hardly remember anything that Alyx has presented, the caps are the sole exception, but that's party because of Kim Jones.

With Demna dabbling at Couture too it was maybe for the best that HC week got rescheduled, the world can't handle any more travesties right now.

I sincerely wish they are not hiring someone who only appeals to the young generation. I mean when will this street wear trend be over??

It’s the guy from Alyx. He’ll be doing both collections

I think MW's name is dropped regarding the menswear side of the business, which really suffered under CWK's tenure. And the choice would make sense, his sleek, urban taste can resonate with Tisci's menswear customer.
He's ok, I don't love but don't loath the guy either.
I don't think he (who, truth be told, in interviews comes across as a very humble and pragmatic type of creative) would even remotely consider the womenswear side, especially the couture, which requires someone with serious technical skills, unless the honchos at Givenchy have decided to drop the HC business altogether and push on the RTW only.

Redsmokerise

Exactly I was thinking of that, and it’s not even nice looking at all to begin with, felt that Kim Jones was hard pushing it then.

Clare got sacked? Before MGC? Her last collection wasn't that bad.

Maybe Alber Elbaz could do wonders for Givenchy.

It's not like I like Jacquemus (at all), but I'm quite sure he's the only one that could make Givenchy flourish again.

He has a very particular style with a really strong vision, plus everybody loves him in France. I can imagine him being inspired by the 80s/90s era of Givenchy, by the flower prints and the heavy make ups, and do something "modern" out of it (don't get me wrong, I mean modern as in what modern means for fashion these days: basic, "cool" and easy).

I don't think the "old" generation would work business wise anymore... Alber, Theyskens... Fashion is so different today.

I actually really like Matthew but why on earth should he be hired at Givenchy? Alyx has been around for less than 5 years & only in the last year has it seemed like he's even figured out a firm design direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->