Glenn Martens Appointed Creative Director for Diesel

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by GERGIN, Oct 8, 2020.

1. GERGIN

GERGIN Well-Known Member

So excited for this!!!!

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  2. RedSmokeRise

RedSmokeRise Well-Known Member

Can it be? An new appointment that makes sense ??

3. helmutnotdead

helmutnotdead Well-Known Member

surprisingly, I’m not pissed off.
    wish him the best.

entten likes this.
  4. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

These days until you see the clothes you cannot be sure if a new designer for a brand will work or not...

5. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, but he comes from that country who is famous for the vegetable nobody is rushing to get, ever. By virtue of him being born and raised there would be good enough for many on here before they even saw a stitch of clothing. It's called 'the Belgian pass.'

Anyway, Diesel is is as dead as it is deadly. How many times has Renzo tried to breathe new life into it and each time it flopped. The problem isn't with design, it's operational/marketing related. That's what always drove this brand, God, any denim brand from CK to Energie. They've taken that angle away and of course it would come down like a pack of cards.

6. GERGIN

GERGIN Well-Known Member

He did a collab with Diesel back in 2018

7. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

:lol:

Well there are categories! he could’ve been that kind of Belgian when he was independent for a minute but turns out, designing under someone else’s parameters or with the stamp of a corporation is more his comfort zone, it’s almost like he’s French, the honorary kind.

8. jeanclaude

Then I have already saw his clothes...so I am not excited!

Benn98 likes this.
  9. bc collector

bc collector Well-Known Member

It sounds like a "I really need the f*cking money" sort of operation.
    I can't think of any other reason why a talented - albeit niche - designer like Mertens would want to try the deadly embrace of the Rosso clan. We have seen them in action with Viktor&Rolf, Margiela and Marni so we kind of now the end of the story already.

10. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Y/Project is one of the more exciting brands around these days, so I’m actually excited about this if if turns out to be good.

entten and Nomar like this.
  11. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

I think it's doomed to fail, not because I don't personally like his work but beacuase I'm not seeing how his niche sensibility can be translated into products for a broader audience. I'm not really aware of the cursed history of Diesel, I just know it seems like an uphill battle considering how saturated the market already is.

bc collector likes this.
  12. Overindulgence

I mean get that money but :ermm:. Even if Martens collaborated with Diesel in the past, I would have preferred him to have a career trajectory path similar to Anthony Vaccarello (I guess there still could be a chance for that if Vaccarello hopped up from Versus to Saint Laurent).

I just don't see many people, at least in the U.S., developing an interest in Diesel unless they try to take advantage of the 2000s revival trend somehow. Diesel, to me, is just another department store brand that ultimately ends up in the TJ Maxx RUNWAY section. I will try to remain optimistic though.

Lola701 and bc collector like this.
  13. kenndale

kenndale Well-Known Member

Who’s even buying Diesel in 2020?

Benn98, kasper!, Nomar and 4 others like this.
  14. jeanclaude

This is from Y-Project (sounds like a Yamamoto third line, by the way) s/s 2018:

[​IMG]
    tag-walk.com

So basically I expect him to deliver more "deformed denim", but with a Diesel tag sewn on it.

Overindulgence likes this.
  15. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

^ and the mandatory fluorescent green thong tied up on the ankle cause ~quirky styling~.

entten and jeanclaude like this.
  16. Yasouss

Yasouss Active Member

Quite an odd appointment. He may be a talented designer but Diesel is just not a brand that fits in with the current trends (for better or worse...). No one will spend the amount of money Diesel charges for their jeans in today's market.

17. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Glad for him because independent brands needs to be supported...But this won’t work.
    Unfortunately, Diesel, much like Pepe Jeans, Miss Sixty and others is a pure product of the 00’s that kinda belongs to that era. Creativity is not a problem. The problem is the image and the marketing as it was mentionned before.

Japanese brands are dominating the Denim market and Levi’s still has a great following because those brands stands for a certain idea of quality and timeless fashion. The people who wore Diesel years ago have switched to Dsquared2.

Instead of hiring Glenn, Rosso should have sponsored a bunch of new, promising designers by producing their Jeans...
    He could choose a bunch of designers in each fashion city and create something similar to Moncler Genius.

Maybe the approach they took for their Black Gold line is the one to take for the mainline. Less logos, more style...
    Renzo should maybe get in touch with someone from the VP team and can maybe look up to Barbara Bui or even Old Balmain as an aesthetic. great Jeans, a good T-shirt and a blazer, that’s maybe what people just want from Diesel. There are enough designers out there to help them in their crisis...

donyan, TaylorBinque, entten and 2 others like this.
  18. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

Speaking of denim...Renzo Rosso should have hired Emmanuelle Alt......

:rolleyes:

Benn98 and RedSmokeRise like this.