The ‘Fashion Documentaries’ Thread

Completely missed this one, it actually sounds interesting.

Why not all fashion documentaries should be pretty
Lucy Siegle

A weird thing happened to me at the London premiere of Andrew Morgan’s documentary The True Cost, last week. As co-executive producer with campaigner Livia Firth, I introduced the film to a very starry audience (including Tom Ford wearing aviators) and nestled into my seat.

But when my big face loomed into shot on the giant screen, I got the shock of my life. Despite having watched the film many, many times, I had somehow forgotten that I was actually in it.

Was I overawed by the occasion? Perhaps. But, more than that, I think I was suddenly aware that this was a film about fashion, and that didn’t compute. Ordinarily, I would never expect to be in a fashion film unless I’d accidentally strolled into the back of a shot.

You see, fashion films are not my natural arena. I might fleetingly enjoy watching one for a hit of fantasy, but I am very aware that – although they are almost always billed as documentaries – they do not ordinarily go there, as far as the reality of the industry is concerned.

Instead, from Dior and I to Valentino: The Last Emperor and Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel, they major in wide-eyed escapism, typically exploring the obsessional aesthete, and full of tropes such as voyeuristic, indecently long shots. This is the lens through which we’ve become accustomed to following tales of haute couture and general fabulousness.

The True Cost, on the other hand, is a fashion documentary that goes there and then some – it unravels the grim, gritty, global supply chain of fast fashion: a system that has injected the type of speed, disposability and price deflation that has directly led to the worst casualties in the industrial age. On our watch.

To be fair, the bulk of the reviews were extraordinarily appreciative of Morgan’s brilliant film. Harvey Weinstein announced at the first LA screening: “This movie’s going to shock the fashion world” – and it will. Reviewing The True cost, the New York Times said: “Under the gentle, humane investigations of its director, what emerges most strongly is a portrait of exploitation that ought to make us more nauseated than elated over those $20 jeans.”

But some of the reactions have suggested to me that – although it’s often proclaimed that fashion and film are trapped in a love affair (another trope) – unless the films are hagiographical, the two industries do not seem such easy bedfellows.

Some I have spoken to in the fashion industry found the impact of watching The True Cost overwhelming, and they reported experiencing a type of moral whiplash. Then there was that defensive whaddaya-want-me-to-do-about-it? reaction, coming from the fact that solving the problem has no straightforward answers, and Morgan purposefully does not present any. “I’m probably most proud that we avoided easy answers and instead chose to trust people to both feel and think deeply about the issues raised,” he says.

Morgan is actually much more charitable than me about the genre he’s ended up involved with. “I’m actually fascinated by those [fashion] films that follow one person,” he tells me from his home in LA. “The best that have been made recently tap into that fascination and give us a glimpse behind the curtain.”

But the director is also a fashion outsider. A father of four, Morgan was moved to investigate fashion’s dark heart when he glimpsed a newspaper photograph of two young boys – the same age as his sons – searching futilely for their mother after the Rana Plaza catastrophe, in April 2013. He was astonished to find out that his non-remarkable clothes could be a product of this fashion system.

Morgan says making The True Cost has changed his life – not least because of the terrifying moments when he and his producer, Michael Ross, were held at gun point and cornered by riot police in some of the 13 countries they travelled through to get the story. It has also made a difference to the pair because they have joined the dots between fashion, consumerism, capitalism and structural poverty and oppression, and will never shop in the same way again.

So, how should you handle a film such as The True Cost? Here, I actually think traditional fashion films have taught us something. We should watch as we’d watch those same reverent biographies: let the story absorb you, transport you and take you under. Engaging with the ugly side of fashion will lead to changing it.

The True Cost is available globally online, via truecostmovie.com, iTunes and Amazon, and in select theatres (at the Bloomsbury Curzon until 5 June).

If anyone is interested in the seeing Dior and I, I managed to download it off YouTube before it got deleted. Pm me and I'll email it to you^_^

Vogue: The BBC Documentary Is Coming

THE first documentary series to go inside British Vogue will air on BBC Two in 2016 to celebrate our centenary year.

The two-part series, which will be produced by Lightbox, will go behind-the-scenes at Vogue, both in the office and on location; follow the editors as they attend the international fashion weeks; and explore the processes and people behind the decisions that go in to the making of each issue.

"I am delighted to be working with Lightbox on a documentary to commemorate our centenary," said editor-in-chief Alexandra Shulman. "We have never previously agreed to allow the cameras into the magazine but 100 years seems a fitting time to demonstrate what a powerful and exciting force Vogue is."

Lightbox, which was founded by award-winning documentary making cousin duo Simon and Jonathan Chinn - responsible for Man On Wire and Searching For Sugarman, was commissioned by Maxine Watson, the BBC's acting head of documentary commissioning, to produce the series. Richard Macer (in association with his company Platform Productions) takes on the role of director, while Katie Buchanan will serve as executive producer.

"This is a fantastic and unprecedented opportunity to get to the heart of the UK's fashion industry and look at its impact globally," said Simon Chinn. "There will be big characters, compelling storylines and plenty of glamour, but we also want to explore some important questions about the role fashion plays today in Britain and the world beyond."
*Vogue.co.uk

I believe it's already been posted here but I found an amazing documentary about Alexander McQueen last collections. It's in french though but it's probably one of my favorite fashion documentary.

Hello,

Does anybody know where to find Histoire(s) d'Elle from 2005? Thank you! :flower:

I wasn't sure where to post this but there's that famous TV series , project runway.. and, around the same time i think, there aired another TV show but designs were actually made to be sold and that's what the winner got. Jc Penney was one store
Does anybody remember the title?

There's a documentary tonight on Arte for French speakers called Scandales de la mode. Produced and filmed by the fantastic Loïc Prigent.
Naomi Campbell, John Galliano, Tom Ford and Marc Jacobs and more are talked about. I'm so looking forward to it:woot:

There's a documentary tonight on Arte for French speakers called Scandales de la mode. Produced and filmed by the fantastic Loïc Prigent.
Naomi Campbell, John Galliano, Tom Ford and Marc Jacobs and more are talked about. I'm so looking forward to it:woot:

To be fair, it wasn't really a great documentary. It was boring actually...

British Vogue Documentary to Air on U.K.’s BBC Two in September
By Lorelei Marfil on August 24, 2016

“Absolutely Fashion: Inside British Vogue” will air on BBC Two on Sept. 8 at 9 p.m. GMT.

FASHION DOCUMENTARY: British Vogue has opened its posh doors to BBC Two, who will air the two-part “observational documentary” on Sept. 8.

Produced by Lightbox and filmed by Richard Marcer, the two 60-minute segments were done over a duration of nine months.

Macer documents the ins-and-outs of editor in chief Alexandra Shulman and her staff including fashion director Lucinda Chambers, creative director Jaime Perlman, and editor at large Fiona Golfar. The first episode features magazine shoots with Kate Moss, Edie Campbell and photographer Mario Testino and delves into preparations of the publication and special events coinciding with the centenary anniversary as well as international fashion week coverage. Events that marked the 100th anniversary included a gala, an exhibit at London’s National Portrait Gallery, a limited-edition coffee table book set for September, and a collection of special products done in conjunction with luxury brands.

“At Vogue, we are more used to being behind the lens than in front of it,” said Shulman. “The process of being filmed over such a long period of time was intriguing although at times, testing.”

This is the first time the publication has allowed access for a televised film crew. BBC Two previously aired a documentary about British society magazine Tatler — another glossy under Conde Nast Britain — in 2014 titled “Posh People: Inside Tatler.”

“Absolutely Fashion: Inside British Vogue” will air on BBC Two on Sept. 8 at 9 p.m. GMT.!

Source: http://wwd.com/media-news/fashion-memopad/british-vogue-documentary-air-on-u-k-s-bbc-two-alexandra-shulman-10514321/

Last edited by a moderator:
Stunned..just stunned..this hasn't been posted.

http://www.francathemovie.com/

This was actually posted in the 'Business of Magazines' thread. Can't say I'm personally looking forward to it as the documentary is directed by her son. I expect there will be endless fawning over his mother and her contribution to fashion.

Just in case someone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
effettovetro
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->