GOSSIP:Marissa Jaret Winokur Humiliated At Gucci

ignitioned32

Mannikin
Reaction score
Originally posted by Page Six
"Hairspray" star and Tony Award winner Marissa Jaret Winokur was humiliated by snotty Rodeo Drive salesclerks as she shopped for a dress to wear at Sunday's Tony Awards, Page Six reports.

The 5-foot, size-12 singer said, "I thought it would be easy, so my best friend and I went on a Saturday and by the third store I was so upset -- no one would help me."

At Gucci, they told her that her breasts wouldn't fit in the dress she liked. At other shops, clerks wouldn't talk to her. At Neiman Marcus, one clerk snapped at her for picking up a beaded dress. "You will ruin it!"

Unlike most other less-than-willowy girls, Winokur counts Vogue editor Anna Wintour among her pals. One call to Wintour and suddenly, designers have come a'running. We're sure Winokur will look fabulous come Sunday.

I find that so mean just because she's plus size.

Okay, I'll admit with her figure she could ruin the dress, but saying it like that WOULD NOT help at all. At least giving her a dress in that size or saying that the dress has no size for her (w/o saying something like that).

Absolutely awful!
Nobody with an attitude like that towards a customer should be working in a store of such esteem as Gucci or Niemans. I am appalled at the way people treat those who they are there to assist. As somebody who has been in sales for almost 16 years I have never acted that way. You never know who they are or what their credit limit is....
and the bottom line is the sale!

That's so mean! It kind of reminds me of Pretty Woman except Anna Wintour as Richard Gere.

It reminds me when i enter a perfumery or an expensive shop and assistants are down looking, inpolite stupid chicks. I like to take time with choosing the best perfume, but i cannot be in peace. That face makes me fear from asking for another one. :wacko: They think it's impossible a student looking person has money or something like that. Once I wasn't allowed to try a perfume. It's so absurd. :yuk:
Since these lovely experiences i try to wear more ladylike clothes on the special shopping days. :blush:
Anyway i'm 19, not an early teenage years look what i have. :lol:

At Saks or other upscale stores, I am often ignored by salespeople because I am 20 but look pretty young. I don't really mind, but it annoys me when they give you snotty looks. I want to be like, "Hello! You are the salespeople here. Not the owner of the store or of this expensive clothing! Get over it!" :rolleyes:

Yeah. Sometimes when i'm very angry i think they should "l*ck my a**" for my money. Pradon! :blush:
In Japan shop assistants are so kind and polite. They make everything for you. It would be pleasant to enter such a shop here. :rolleyes:

:o That's horrible! She should get a formal apology from those stores or something. You just shouldn't treat people like that, especially if they're customers. It isn't the salesperson's job to decide who gets to buy the clothes.

Oh .... I soooooooo would pull the b*tch card ... "Who's the managers" prompts free drinks and 3 salespeople instantly!

this would have all been avoided if she had hired a stylist...they would have contacted all the designers on her behalf and had something made for her...

well...maybe...i don't know who would want to dress her...especially since no one watches the tony awards...

glad she didn't call me... :ninja: :innocent:

If I were Miss Marissa Jaret Winokur I'd simply turn to the the sales people and say

"While you're making you're crap 7$ an hour salary you should be kissing my *** for the commission you get when I purchase a dress from you that most likely cost more than your rat hole you call an apartment"

but maybe Marissa isn't as bitchy as me :wink:

Some sales people who work in high end stores are crap. If they could possibly afford the stuff they sell then they wouldn't be working as a sale person in a store.

Being a retail sales person is one step above being a waiter. There is no glamour in serving people and having to do what they ask you to do.

I once went on a walk dressed in yoga pants, trainers and a hoodie in NYC. I stopped inside Gucci to check out the new purse I wanted. None of the sales people even looked at me. I then turned to the snottiest looking one pointed at the purse I wanted and said

"I hope it won’t be too much trouble for you to lift a little finger and wrap that purse up for me"

Then when she asked me if I'd be interested in looking at anything else I said “Nah I wouldn't want you to put forth too much effort… it didn't seem like you wanted to help me in the first place"

She looked mad when I said that but she still put on her fake smile :lol:

What happened to Ms. Winokur was very sad. Eloes, I agree with you 100%.

CelineChic your attitude isn't any better than that of the salespeople. It's wrong to look down on someone because they don't have the kind of money you do. Maybe it's people with attitudes like that who cause some salespeople to act the way they do. I know what I would think of some snobby rich b*tch who thought she was better than I was simply because she could buy a $1,000 handbag. No one should have to kiss anyone's ***-simple courtesy and professionalism should be enough. btw, unless someone is the boss of your own company, most of us have to take orders once in a while.

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Jun 7th, 2004 - 11:42 am
No one should have to kiss anyone's ***-simple courtesy and professionalism should be enough. btw, unless someone is the boss of your own company, most of us have to take orders once in a while.
They dont HAVE to kiss my *** BUT they should do their job. That is what they're getting paid to do!

I dont care if a homeless person walks in and asks to try on a pair of shoes! They should be served IT is the sales person's job, no?

I'm sorry, but I don't always agree. If one of my employees is rude to a customer, of course they need to apologize and make it up to them. However, they have the right to refuse service to anyone. We usually do when someone speaks to them inappropriately or is really creepy. For example, a rich lady told one of my assistant managers that we would not be in business without her, because we would n't her return something. She was politely asked to leave and never come back. But I do really hate snobby sales people. I tend to get it at my local Chanel store. Getting followed around and not even greeted is annoying enough for me to go buy the bag I want online!

I can understand both of you. True shop assistants should do their job, but they also have right to refuse service. I don't own any shop and i'm not a shop assistant, i see everything from the customers side and since i'm not a homeless customer :lol: i need their service. :flower:

Originally posted by Midori@Jun 7th, 2004 - 1:35 pm
I can understand both of you. True shop assistants should do their job, but they also have right to refuse service. I don't own any shop and i'm not a shop assistant, i see everything from the customers side and since i'm not a homeless customer :lol: i need their service. :flower:
But they should never be denied service based on their weight, height, clothing they wear, or race.

It's call business etiquette.

If they’re causing a scene or disturbing people then they should be asked politely to leave the store.

Originally posted by CelineChic+Jun 7th, 2004 - 8:37 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CelineChic @ Jun 7th, 2004 - 8:37 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Midori@Jun 7th, 2004 - 1:35 pm
But they should never be denied service based on their weight, height, clothing they wear, or race.

It's call business etiquette.

If they’re causing a scene or disturbing people then they should be asked politely to leave the store. [/b][/quote]
Sure.

Originally posted by CelineChic@Jun 7th, 2004 - 1:43 am
Being a retail sales person is one step above being a waiter. There is no glamour in serving people and having to do what they ask you to do.

I once went on a walk dressed in yoga pants, trainers and a hoodie in NYC. I stopped inside Gucci to check out the new purse I wanted. None of the sales people even looked at me. I then turned to the snottiest looking one pointed at the purse I wanted and said

"I hope it won’t be too much trouble for you to lift a little finger and wrap that purse up for me"

Then when she asked me if I'd be interested in looking at anything else I said “Nah I wouldn't want you to put forth too much effort… it didn't seem like you wanted to help me in the first place"

She looked mad when I said that but she still put on her fake smile :lol:
whatever.... :rolleyes: ...you still bought the stupid bag...if they wre so rude...i would have walked out and spent my money eslwhere...the lazy saleschick still got her comission...so i'm sure she was happy...

i don't get your point there... :innocent:

Softgrey, you made a great point. Unfortunately, I think people have gotten used to and maybe in some strange way, have come to expect/accept, rude/snotty salespeople in high-end shops. Every customer that is treated badly should write to the comapny's headquarters and threaten to take their business elsewhere. If a comapny receives enough of these complaints, perhaps they will retrain their sales staff and/or hire more customer-oriented people.

I would like to add that the Chloe boutique on Madison Ave has good salespeople as well as Anna Sui in SoHo. I was particularly impressed with Anna Sui because I went with my friend who is a size 14 and the salesperson made my friend feel completely welcome and went to the basement to get the larger sizes for her.

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Jun 7th, 2004 - 10:01 pm
I would like to add that the Chloe boutique on Madison Ave has good salespeople as well as Anna Sui in SoHo. I was particularly impressed with Anna Sui because I went with my friend who is a size 14 and the salesperson made my friend feel completely welcome and went to the basement to get the larger sizes for her.
I'm happy to hear this. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->