GOSSIP:Mblem By Mandy Moore

PradaP

Reaction score
I love this girl so this is one celeb fashion range I'll definately be checking out :woot:

Mandy Moore Joins Celeb Fashion Rush

By Julee Greenberg Thursday July 22, 2004

NEW YORK — Entertainer Mandy Moore is launching her first line of apparel, which will begin hitting stores at the end of the month, but she says that doesn’t make her a fashion designer.

“I never really had an aspiration to be a fashion guru,” Moore told WWD. “I have always been a fan of fashion, but in no way would I have ever considered myself a designer. I’m a real jeans and T-shirt girl, and I couldn’t find the exact shirts I liked, so I decided to do something of my own.”

The result is Mblem, a line of contemporary knit T-shirts in a variety of colors and soft cotton fabrics. Moore said she was sure to make the tops longer than traditional Ts, and the long-sleeve versions are long at the end of the sleeves, to cover part of the hands. It was the small, simple details like this that Moore said she wanted to concentrate on.

The first collection, wholesaling between $24 and $32, is inspired by Moore’s latest album, “Coverage,” which debuted last year. The critically acclaimed CD includes covers of popular songs from the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties, and some of the Ts in the line have lyrics from Moore’s favorite songs placed subtly on the shirts.

“It’s just not me to do a big Jennifer Lopez-like clothing line,” she said. “I was looking for comfortable, plain shirts to wear with jeans. In the future, if the line does OK, I would consider taking it a small step further, but I still want it to maintain its simplicity.”

To help with the business end, Moore has teamed with Kristi Kaylor Schwartz, president of Los Angeles-based Kaylor Schwartz Inc., to launch the collection. Schwartz has a couple of years of experience in the business behind her, since she now runs 2Love, a company that links up with celebrities to design limited-edition T-shirts. 2Love manufactures the Ts and sells them to stores. The company then donates the proceeds from the sales of the shirts to selected charities nationwide.

For Mblem, Schwartz said she decided to team up with Moore, manufacture the collection and donate 10 percent of the sales to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, a voluntary health organization dedicated to finding a cure for blood cancer through research, education and patient services. Moore supports this charity regularly, so it was a natural choice for her.

“I’ve worked with many celebrities over the years, and I can honestly say that Mandy is the perfect person to launch her own line,” Schwartz said. “She is so involved in every aspect, and she has great style.”

Schwartz said the line has been picked up by some high-end specialty stores nationwide, including Canal Jeans and Lounge in New York, Kitson and Fred Segal in Los Angeles and Active Endeavors in Chicago. She said she is looking to keep the distribution small and expects to reach $1 million in first-year sales.

Next up, Moore said she would like to design a line of men’s Ts.

“Maybe I will start doing some men’s Ts, but I definitely want to stick with the Ts,” she said. “My guy friends are all asking for them. I’m not sure how much more I would get into, though — the industry scares me a bit; I love to be part of the creative, but the rest, I just don’t know.”

072204_6.jpg
072204_7.jpg

072204_8.jpg
072204_9.jpg

I rather like them! They remind me in a way of C&C California tops because of their longer sleeves, etc. :smile:

And just what is the difference between these tops and any other cotton top sold here for $3?

Originally posted by oanadobre@Jul 22 2004, 04:12 AM
And just what is the difference between these tops and any other cotton top sold here for $3?
[snapback]314098[/snapback]​

exactly.

Originally posted by oanadobre@Jul 22 2004, 04:12 AM
[snapback]314098[/snapback]​

the difference is in quality, cut, etc :smile:

if you're happy with $3 tshirts then thats great :smile: but unfortunately for many of us, if we want to find a tshirt with a cut that's flattering for our body type, made from a certain quality of cotton which we're happy with, we might have to spend a bit more

You misunderstood me. I don't buy those $3 shirts. I wouldn't by Mandy's boring shirts either :innocent:

hmm... i wonder what they will feel like on. I need some new plain tops, but they had better be of good material. C&C tees are crap, every single one of mine has a hole somewhere on it.

Originally posted by oanadobre@Jul 22 2004, 03:27 AM
You misunderstood me. I don't buy those $3 shirts. I wouldn't by Mandy's boring shirts either :innocent:
[snapback]314107[/snapback]​

I like them. Like she said in the interview she wanted "to make the tops longer than traditional Ts"

Which is good, especially for tall girls. I cant find any nice shirts that hide my belly.

Good for her. I like them and will most likely buy some. :clap:

Originally posted by CelineChic@Jul 22 2004, 04:42 AM
Which is good, especially for tall girls. I cant find any nice shirts that hide my belly.

ditto! sick of baring my midriff when i wear jeans :lol:

Originally posted by PradaP@Jul 22 2004, 03:52 AM
[snapback]314120[/snapback]​

Its as if all these shirts were made for midgets. Plus they arent that flattering. The short shirts really cut off the body.

And even more annoying is that if you try on a larger size they just get wider! But still stay short :angry:

I love Mandy too, and her simple approach. I think she has a good business strategy - and she's not all about the money. She's taking it one step at a time, and I respect that :heart:

She's got an amazing style. I actually love those pics. Simple yet elegant. That girl's got so much class, I wouldn't want her to launch a whole "wannabe cool line" of cloths (think Rocawear, JLo)... She's def on the right track. With Mandy, it's not quantity, it's about quality. She's gorgeous! :heart:

I think I'd have to see them in person to see what the difference is between them and C&C or another line like that, but from what I see I like them

It could be worse....At least she isn't coming out with a perfume.... :blink:

Originally posted by PradaP@Jul 22 2004, 03:52 AM
[snapback]314120[/snapback]​

same here! she's tall, so she probably has the same problem. personally i love mandy, i think her style is very classic and simple. the shirts look really comfortable!

I really like her philosophy - not overbranding shirts. Creating the clothing just to be good clothing, not to pimp herself.

:smile:

:heart: the shirts, :heart: Mandy Moore... the girl's got style and is just a one-of-a-kind!

Originally posted by CelineChic@Jul 22 2004, 03:57 AM
And even more annoying is that if you try on a larger size they just get wider! But still stay short :angry:
[snapback]314127[/snapback]​

Exactly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheB
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"