GOSSIP:Munch's Famous 'Scream,' 'Madonna' Stolen

brian

Reaction score
scream.jpg

Munch's famous 'Scream,' 'Madonna' stolen
seattlepi.nwsource.com
By KRISTIAN KAHRS
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

Edvard Munch's famous paintings "The Scream," shown in this undated file photo, "Madonna" and others were stolen from an art museum Sunday while stunned museum-goers watched armed men threatening the staff at gunpoint as they took the art work to a waiting car.

OSLO, Norway -- Armed men stormed into an art museum Sunday, threatened staff at gunpoint and stole Edvard Munch's famous paintings "The Scream" and "Madonna" before the eyes of stunned museum-goers.

The thieves yanked the paintings off the walls of Oslo's Munch museum and loaded them into a waiting car outside, said a witness, French radio producer Francois Castang.

Police spokeswoman Hilde Walsoe said the two or three armed men threatened a museum employee with a handgun to give them the two paintings, including "The Scream" - Munch's famed depiction of an anguished figure with its head in its hands.

"No one has been physically injured, and the suspects escaped in an Audi A6. We are searching for the suspects with all available means," Walsoe told The Associated Press.

Many museum visitors panicked and thought they were being attacked by terrorists.

"He was wearing a black face mask and something that looked like a gun to force a female security guard down on the floor," visitor Marketa Cajova told NTB public radio.

"What's strange is that in this museum, there weren't any means of protection for the paintings, no alarm bell," Castang told France Inter radio.

"The paintings were simply attached by wire to the walls," he said. "All you had to do is pull on the painting hard for the cord to break loose - which is what I saw one of the thieves doing."

Castang said police arrived on the scene 15 minutes later. Visitors were ushered into the museum's cafeteria.

"We don't have all the details on the situation, but we are searching for the suspects in the air and on land," Police Spokesman Kjell Moerk told the public radio network NRK.

It was the second time in 10 years that "The Scream" has been stolen. In February 1994, the work was taken and remained missing for nearly three months. Police ultimately recovered the work, which is on fragile paper, undamaged in a hotel in Asgardstrand, about 40 miles south of the capital, Oslo. Three Norwegians were arrested.

At the time, investigators said the trio tried to ransom the painting, demanding $1 million from the government. it was never paid.

Munch, a Norwegian painter and graphic artist who worked in Germany as well as his home country, developed an emotionally charged style that was of great importance in the birth of the 20th century Expressionist movement.

He painted "The Scream" in 1893, as part of his "Frieze of Life" series, in which sickness, death, anxiety, and love are central themes. He died in 1944 at the age of 81.

The National Art Museum owns 58 paintings by Munch.

:shock:

:o :shock: I have no words, that is terrible news. I hope they find it and that it's not damaged. munch is one of my very favourite artists... as a student of art history, it would be a tragedy if it was lost forever. thanks for posting, brian. :shock:

THIS IS AWFUL!! I really hope they find them soon...

i think it's horrible! the scream has always been one of my favorite paintings :cry: i seriously hope they're going to find the ones who did it and punish them very, very hard :furious:

Originally posted by utopia@Aug 22 2004, 08:15 PM
:o :shock: I have no words, that is terrible news. I hope they find it and that it's not damaged. munch is one of my very favourite artists... as a student of art history, it would be a tragedy if it was lost forever. thanks for posting, brian. :shock:
[snapback]341789[/snapback]​

Well, apparently they found the broken frames of the paintings shortly after...and witnesses said the thieves dropped the paintings several times on the ground while trying to hurry out with them... :o

ugh how horrible. i hope they get it back asap and in the best condition possible

Originally posted by Caramel@Aug 22 2004, 03:14 PM
Well, apparently they found the broken frames of the paintings shortly after...and witnesses said the thieves dropped the paintings several times on the ground while trying to hurry out with them... :o
[snapback]341833[/snapback]​

::cringing:: how could they?? even an art thief would know better than that. there will always be prints but never another edvard munch. :(

Wasn't it stolen once before? I seem to remember something about that from a book when I was little...

well.....im sure it will be found at some point

its not like anyone can sell it on Ebay and get away with it.

another version of it has been stolen a few years ago - munch painted serveral versions of this theme.
I am curious wheter this will be a case of art-napping, since the painting is soo known that it is virtually not possible to sell it. though the thieves make quite an unprofessional impression...

Originally posted by Mettchen@Aug 22 2004, 03:13 PM
i think it's horrible! the scream has always been one of my favorite paintings :cry: i seriously hope they're going to find the ones who did it and punish them very, very hard :furious:
[snapback]341832[/snapback]​
me too :angry: :angry: :angry:

Originally posted by Mettchen@Aug 22 2004, 01:23 PM
:cry:

233245-affdbd262a8d99aaea3eaf0f3e773f36.jpeg

[snapback]341838[/snapback]​

OH MY GOD :furious:
that is extremely upsetting and infuriating.
i hope these thieves pay, big time :cry:

Thats so terrible. Especially the dropping and broken frames. Come on art thieves! You won't get as much money if its damaged!

I hope they catch these goons.

that's so awful-it's one of my favourite paintings. I did my whole GCSE study on it when I was 16. I loved it as soon as I saw it. I hope they find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonHansen100
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->