GOSSIP:Svetlana Khorkina

Discussion in 'In the News...' started by nycgirl84, Aug 22, 2004.

1. nycgirl84

nycgirl84 New Member

Thought I'd post this because several of ya'll are interested in her.

Gymnast Khorkina Says 'Judges Robbed Me'

By Gennady Fyodorov

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's Svetlana Khorkina, who was second to American Carly Patterson in the women's all-round gymnastics competition, has accused the judges of robbing her of the gold medal and said "everything was decided in advance."

"I'm just furious," Khorkina, who had been favorite for the coveted title, was quoted as saying in the daily Izvestia. "I knew well in advance, even before I stepped on the stage for my first event, that I was going to lose."

"Everything was decided in advance. I had no illusions about this when the judges gave me 9.462 for the vault after conferring with one another at length.

"I practically did everything right, still they just set me up and fleeced me," she said in the interview published on Saturday.

Asked why she felt she was marked down by the judges, Khorkina said: "You better ask them. I think it's because I'm from Russia, not from America!" :rolleyes:

When Khorkina won her silver medal on Thursday, she showed no outward signs of disappointment and said: "I think it's the best day of my life."

The Russian was also favorite for the all-round title four years ago in Sydney, where her hopes were dashed after she crashed to her knees from the vault. It was later discovered the horse had been set five centimeters too short.

She said she was hoping Sydney's experience would cause the judges to be more sympathetic to her plight in Athens -- her third and last Olympics.

Khorkina did not think Patterson was a deserving winner.

Asked if the American was a worthy opponent, she said: "I've seen a much tougher opposition than her. Let's see how long she can remain on top. Can she keep going and compete in two more Olympics like myself."

"No, well, you better write that Patterson is a great champion and she has a great future," she added sarcastically.

Khorkina confirmed that Athens were her last Olympics but she wants to remain in the sport.

"I'd like to work for the International Gymnastics Federation. These competitions have shown the sport needs a lot of changes," she said. "It should be judged primarily on grace, elegance and beauty rather than simply on mechanic tumbling."

On Sunday the Russian will compete in her last event -- the uneven bars, where she is hoping to become the first gymnast in history to win three consecutive Olympic titles on the same apparatus.

2. CelineChic

CelineChic New Member

I saw the event where she got robbed. Her degree of difficulty was harder than the American girl and she did it perfectly. The American girl fummbled a bit and didn't do as well.

I was even on the phone with my boyfriend at the time and I said "they cheated her and it's going to be another scandal like the Figure skating in Utah between the Russians and the Canaddians."

Poor thing :(

3. ChinaLove

ChinaLove New Member

Absolutely agree. Her vault had a 10.0 start value and she landed it perfectly, but only scored a 9.462? Whereas Carly Patterson's vault had a SV of 9.9, but got a 9.342 (or something) with a sloppy landing?? Fishy fishy. I also thought she was scored quite low on her floor routine as well. Tsk tsk.

In other news, she lost her crown as the Queen of Bars today. I'm so sad... shocked really.

4. vintage_princess

vintage_princess Adorable illusion

Oh please. She should get over herself, I think Carly Patterson did an outstanding performance on the floor and she did all her somersaults and tumbles with perfect landings. She did not falter one bit. She deserved to win gold.
    Normally I wouldnt want America to win gold, but she did derserve it in my opinion.

:flower:

5. ChinaLove

ChinaLove New Member

Svetlana has something that Carly doesn't, grace and elegance. Carly straight up looks a tumbling butterball.

6. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Khorkina is cocky. Yes, she's a good gymnist, but I don't appreciate attitudes like that in anyone, no matter who the person or where they're from or what they've done. I feel the same way toward Maurice Greene, champion track runner in the 100m - I think that "I'm the best in the World" attitude is arrogant.

Carly may not have the grace and elegance... but she's only 16, isn't Khorkina 25?

7. foxy

foxy New Member

Yes, she is 25.

8. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend princely

didnt watch it, she sounds bitter.

9. plasticine20

plasticine20 New Member

She certainly did NOT deserve to win. I do agree that her vault was underscored, but her bars were WAY overscored. A 9.725(something like that) for form breaks and a hop on the landing? Now that is robbery from the other girls. Her beam wasn't perfect either, though her score was fair. She's not great on beam; she has trouble with connections. It's either her beam or floor that has less than a 10.0 start value, so i don't see a problem with the scores. Plus, I do believe that she messed up on what I think was a double turn; which is a big part of the scoring.

She's graceful on bars, and I do like her floor choreography, but I don't like anything else. Her tumbling is not the best(though not bad either). I don't think she's gracefull at all on beam; she's just moving her lanky limbs. If you want grace and form, look at the Chinese! They have the best form. If only they could be consistent...

Khorkina deserved what she got: the silver. Her winning the 2003 worlds was full of sh*t; the judges gave her gifts. I hate her attitude; she expects judges to be nice to her when she doesn't perform well. I liked her before, but I think her age just caught up with her. I did want her to win bars, though. That would've been a great way to end her career.

Carly Patterson is not elegant at all, but she sure has the moves, and is consistent as well. She shines on the beam and floor. Yes, elegance is a big part of gymnastics, but it's the skills that are important.

Anyone who truly thinks she deserved to win should do more research on gymnastics! She was capable of winning, but not that night.

10. wyatt.

wyatt. New Member

oh give it up shvetlana.

i'm watching the individual events right now and she fell off the uneven bars and the judges gave her an 8.95 that's the highest i've ever seen for an incomplete or fallling routine. they love her and she knows it. what an attention wh*re.

11. wyatt.

wyatt. New Member

are you saying just because svetlana is skinny and has cheeckbones like razors she's a better gymnist? i don't think so. carly may not be the most attractive thing, but she's only 16 and performs much better, plus have you noticed her 6-pack, she's obviously stronger than khorkina and has a much better attitude. if being a b*tch gives you grace...well then... i'm flabbergasted

12. Misako

Misako within an embrace

I very much agree. When it came down to it, even if she was underscored on her vault, she was far overscored on the bars...just because she's always EXPECTED to do well on bars.

I think she's a good gymnast, but her real strength is on the bars - like plasticine pointed out, she doesn't have the strength on the beam and floor that other competitors have, and her vaults are sometimes good, sometimes mediocre. She's good (very good) on bars, but her performance that night was not great, even on bars, and she received the silver.

Don't get me wrong - I thinks she's ultimately a good gymnast, but that night, she deserved the silver, and got it.

Plasticine - you said everything I would've said, lol! :smile:

13. oanadobre

oanadobre New Member

I think she has a lot of courage for doing this. I wanted her to win, as well. I don't know if the contest was "framed", b ut she has the right to express her suspicions, doesn't she?

14. Misako

Misako within an embrace

I'm not sure whether I'd call it "courage"...she has a tendency to do this sort of thing - she'll act like it wasn't her fault when things don't go her way...maybe it just wasn't her night, but she shouldn't tarnish someone else's achievements because she isn't happy about what she got. Carly's a great competitor in her own right (her strength being on the beam, where she has a move named after her, just as Svetlana does on the uneven bars)

Knowing about her past antics makes me less likely to believe her claims - I think it's just drama on her part. I like her as a gymnast, but I dislike her attitude...she's very talented, and she's done quite a bit for the sport, but I could do without hearing her comments...

After all, she complains about possible slanted judging and yet, she seems to want it to happen in HER favour:

"She said she was hoping Sydney's experience would cause the judges to be more sympathetic to her plight in Athens -- her third and last Olympics." (from SI.com)

sympathy votes? That's just as bad as bought judges...imho...

15. VainJane

VainJane New Member

Awesome Misako, I totally agree with everything you've said B)

The girl has grace (a lot of which just comes from the fact that she's got loonnggg arms and legs, whereas every other girl there is short and stocky) but she doesn't have...spirit.
    Her floor routine, while almost perfect, lacked the creativity and energy that Carly's had. Svetlana's moves were all safe, fool-proof moves whereas Carly took chances.

And what's this about giving Carly the gold "because she's an American"?
    Oh please, spare me Svetlana.....as popular as it might be, Bashing America is not the next Olympic sport :angry:

16. Nemova

Nemova -

she definitely has some personality issues, but she's the best gymnast since Svetlana Boginskaya. It's a bitter end for her.

17. oanadobre

oanadobre New Member

What's with Boginskaya there days? Haven't heard much of her...

18. Nemova

Nemova -

Actually I don't know. Maybe she became a coach. She was great...

19. oanadobre

oanadobre New Member

She was super-great! :woot:

20. Nemova

Nemova -

Did a little research and found out she's married to an american guy and lives in Houston with hubbie and daughter.