GQ February 2019 : Frank Ocean by Alasdair McLellan

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Marc10, Jan 10, 2019.

1. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Active Member

He looks cute in the cover with that smile. Awful styling though, everything looks taken from a charity donation bin or some wack thrift store where polyblend goes to die. It doesn't make sense for a fashion magazine to have that type of edit IMO.

I hate to be that person, but am I the only one who finds him terribly overrated as a musician? His first album was outstanding, everything else has been dissapointing. He does know how to work the Pitchfork crowd though.

2. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

I think that that's the intention and the chosen aesthetic so it is done on purpose.

phungnam96 likes this.
  3. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Active Member

Don't you tell, he's so very ironic and clever, truly the voice of his generation. Jokes on me for not getting it...We already have so many indies coasting on the garbage bin aesthetic, we don't need a mainstream title indulging in said absurdity.

I couldn't get trough the first question of that interview, he's so self important and weird.

Benn98 likes this.
  4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

So it looks like we won't be seeing anymore suited 'ballers' at GQ. Which is understandable when you look at the above debut cover and Welch's dirty, worn Vans. Do agree with him about the bolded part at the end. All the magazines who are still successful in the current climate are the ones with a defined direction. So keen to see in which direction he'll be going.

Welcome to a Whole New Era of GQ

[​IMG]

BY WILL WELCH
    January 10, 2019

Back in April 2007, I got a call from Adam Rapoport, then the style editor at GQ. I was apartment hunting in Brooklyn, and the one-bedroom I was touring rattled and shook every time the subway trundled over the Williamsburg Bridge. Adam told me they had an open spot at GQ—an associate-editor role, covering fashion and style—and that I should interview for it. At the time, I was 26 years old and working at an independent music magazine called The Fader. I specifically remember saying to Adam, “But what the hell do I know about fashion?”

That was on a Friday afternoon. First thing Monday morning, I called him back and asked what I had to do to get the job.

You see, I realized a few things that weekend: (1) When you get called up to the big leagues, you don't tell the G.M. you actually just want to stay put. (2) New York City apartments were expensive, and a Condé Nast magazine surely paid better than an indie one, right? (3) If you've ever seen a photo of Miles Davis, Dwight Yoakam, Debbie Harry, or OutKast, you know that writing about music and writing about style are basically the same thing; I could figure out the rest from there.
    So I went and interviewed with Jim Nelson, the great GQ editor-in-chief. A glorious amount of the conversation was about a recent trip I'd taken to Kingston for a Faderstory. We talked about reggae and dancehall music. He never quizzed me on my top five favorite Italian fashion designers, or on the difference between a half Windsor and a four-in-hand tie knot. I was relieved. It was awesome. I got the job.

Now it's almost 12 years later, and I'm proud to be succeeding Jim as GQ's editor-in-chief. Having served as the style editor of GQ, the editor-in-chief of GQ Style, and the creative director of GQ, I can now name my top five favorite Italian designers, no problem. (I am wearing two of them as I type this.) In that way, some things have changed. In others, not so much. I still believe that music is the original act of human creative expression—and, more often than not, the source of style.

So consider this note the announcement of our February 2019 music issue, and the opening salvo of a new era here at GQ. Feel free to read the issue as a declaration of intent about what to expect in the coming year. You'll see that the pages are packed with dynamic storytelling and a cover-to-cover emphasis on style. Likewise, in the months ahead, we'll be honing and refocusing everything we do here at GQ (not just the print magazine but also our website, videos, and social media) until everything we publish is infused with an undeniable and elevated stylishness.

As you read the issue, I think you'll find that all the tools of great GQ storytelling are on display: There's deep reporting in Carrie Battan's exploration of the big, fraught business of SoundCloud rap. There's a weird, wild yarn in Alice Gregory's tale about a 30-year Italo Disco feud. There's Frank Ocean, of course. (I think history will exalt Frank Ocean. By which I mean: One day he'll be known as the best, most boundary-shattering and timeless artist of his generation. Duh.) There are also, of course, great interviews: An array of musicians reveal their intimate truths about sobriety to Chris Heath. And in addition to the big fashion features with Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend and Annie Clark of St. Vincent, there's an entirely new kind of fashion story, in which John Mayer engages in a one-man outfit battle against the whole world. (Or at least the whole Internet—I can't wait to unleash those photos online.) Thank you for your innovations, John.

This new iteration of GQ might not be for everyone. But especially in this niche-driven era, if you try to be everything to everyone, you end up not being much of anything to anyone. So we're making GQ less a big tent and more the only place to go when you want a rich, intelligent, and transportive plunge into all the stylishness the world has to offer. Times have changed, but isn't that what GQ has always been about? I think so. Let's dive in.

Will Welch is GQ's Editor-In-Chief.

Source: GQ.com

ivano and YohjiAddict like this.
  5. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Active Member

I also picked up on that the second I saw the cover. The old GQ wouldn't miss a chance to cover that turtleneck up with an extremely tailored suit. I am interested in seeing what their take on fashion would look like from now on. Seeing a sea of tailored suits every edition is downright uninspiring and at times eye-rolling (especially given today's increasingly casual, start-up-inspired workforce in which a Zuckerbergian get-up is the aesthetic du jour), but I certainly don't wanna see either some bizarre, indified fashion a la Dazed or i-D or a Virgil/Demna-championing styling--this is particularly worrying because he came from The Fader, a publication that looks up to streetwear/hypebeast culture a lot--permeating this magazine. Well, both approaches are unavoidable for sure, but hopefully he knows how to mix things up.

Benn98 likes this.
  6. sweetpop

sweetpop Active Member

I defended Timothee and nearly got a can of whoop-a*s from you, so I daren't say anything positive about Mr Frank Ocean here :rofl: #I'llseemyselfout

7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Right! That's what I'm thinking as well. That this will be another ID-lite. The commercial men's market is very tricky to innovate because the kind of men who buy this magazine and the advertisers who cater to them can be so conservative. I recall Maxim's overhaul under Kate Lanphear was hugely unsuccessful and hers wasn't even that extreme. When you dismantle the suits from GQ, you also need to ditch those Tag Heuer wristwatches, Johnny Depp perfumes and L'oreal Men Expert ads and replace them with versions from Palace and other niche labels etc.
    But by the sound of it, Welch seems prepared that he'll risk losing those guys in favour of a new consumer, and maybe the entire membership of The Frank Ocean Fan Club. So good luck to him.

Noooo, rubbish! :lol::lol: I actually enjoy your posts most times, Sweetpop!
    Except when it comes to Chalamet........

YohjiAddict and Ken Doll Jenner like this.
  8. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Active Member

I love Frank's music but given that he came from music journalism, I CAN'T believe that Will Welch allowed such a laughable interview to be featured in his magazine, let alone his first issue.

"I wanted to start off by asking you about the gesture of making your Instagram public."

Are you f*cking for real? LOL at the interviewer trying to turn something as trivial as Instagram into an existentialist topic.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  9. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Don't judge the book by its cover, but seeing that picture of the new EIC wearing what's he's wearing, nothing good is to be expected.

10. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

The cover is really simple but nice and I like the 'candid' aspect of it. A shame about the unimaginative editorial.

11. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

It's too soon to make an opinion on the new EIC. Unfortunately this cover does not give me hope. It's far too trendy and of the moment. It already looks dated to me.

Benn98 likes this.
  12. SLFC

SLFC Active Member

Haha thats the spirit.

Perickles and MON like this.
  13. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

So I assume everyone already has seen the rest of the issue, otherwise I fail to understand how everyone has already made up their mind on the new editior in chief on the basis of just one portrait and a cover story.

I for one kinda like his look with the dirty vans and I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

14. DanielWP

DanielWP Member

"This is" Conde Nast admitting they hate themselves for stopping Details magazine. The whole editorial team was ahead of the game, that magazine could easily surpass GQ by now.
    So let's turn GQ into Details, hopefully everyone forget that magazine by now... Well, not everyone.

KateIsGr8 and YohjiAddict like this.
  15. crmsnsnwflks

crmsnsnwflks Active Member

Unpopular opinion, but I'm loving this cleaner and crisper look of GQ. I'll buy this issue for sure.

16. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Well-Known Member

Frank Ocean on the cover, Vampire Weekend, St. Vincent, and Dev Hynes inside?! My little gay heart is happy.

Cover image itself is very simple, but it's a good portrait and the floral turtleneck, though not exactly my taste, is still a choice that makes me happy. I remember being so exhausted with the endless suiting on cover after cover over the years.

17. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

I like the idea they’re going to mix it up. GQ, pretty much all editions, one of the most stale magazines around. It’s been pushing the same cookie cutter idea of ‘masculinity’ for decades. It’s redundant. The people who read it have never had thousands to spend on a dreary Armani suit and it’s taken them so long to get to the point of understanding the men who do read magazines aren’t those suited, high flyers. It’s those who genuinely care about fashion who will lay down some money for it.

Details was so ahead of its time.

mikel and MON like this.
  18. ellastica

ellastica Well-Known Member

that wavy Nirvana BLEACH typeface is a bad omen.

19. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

This isn’t a Samantha Barry situation tho. He’s been with GQ a long time and was in charge of GQ Style. So I don’t think his personal style will get much in the way of what GQ has been.

mikel likes this.