Greg Lauren - yes, THAT Lauren...

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
http://www.greglauren.com/

saw this stuff at barney's...
***he was also there with his uncle Ralph...

^_^...

this article isn't the best...but it gives some idea about the stuff...
all in all...it reminds me of previous junya watanabe collections...
but they did a nice job with the site, etc...
not sure if the clothes really measure up in person though...
i wasn't really excited by the women's pieces...

i have a feeling this is really best as a menswear line...

Barneys Launches Greg Lauren’s First-Ever Collection

By Jessica Mahler Fashion may run through Greg Lauren’s blood—he is Ralph Lauren’s nephew after all—but the designer didn’t always envision a future in threads. Still, a survey of his first ever collection illustrates Lauren’s destined calling in the fashion arena.
The younger Lauren’s handsome visage calls to mind that of uncle Ralph, but there’s more to him than meets the eye. An artist before a designer, the vintage look of his 2010 exhibit Alteration no doubt inspired the design process behind his eponymous label. The exhibition interrogated the roles others expect us to play, a conceptual sentiment that also applies to his line of one-of-a-kind deconstructed tuxedos and field jackets. The program notes from his exhibition could just as well describe what his collection sets out to do: “With this confrontational awareness comes a realization of the intricate fabric of one’s own image and a world of one’s own making.”
Lauren only learned how to sew a few years ago, but it in no way diminishes his abilities as a designer. Putting his artist’s intricacies and attention to detail to work, his first full collection is all high-concept and hand-sewn. His wares may appear faded and distressed, but rest assured this worn/washed-out look is deliberate. “The clothes are about the individual, and the idea that clothing can embrace who we really are, rather than being an armor to project something artificial to the world,” says Lauren. “They are made with the spontaneity and inspiration of creating a painting, embracing imperfection rather than perfection.”
Donning a Greg Lauren piece requires the wearer to feel confident and comfortable in their own skin, something that the powers that be at Barneys are eager for their customers to experience. And with the added promise that you’re wearing an exceptional, original design, you may even discover that you finally know exactly who you are.

i saw a blurb about this somewhere and the jacket i saw at first made me think of josephus thimister's last HC collection. i'll admit that sort of thing is generally up my alley but i agree,it all seems rather done already at this level. a nod to junya....perhaps even a nice dose of demeulemeester for dramatic license. and isn't all saints kind of already doing this on a cheaper scale?

i'm also feeling the "this has been done" before [and done to perfection by junya btw!] from what i saw. for someone who just started sewing a few year ago how can he fathom charging what he does when people like junya and thimister have studied pattern making as a profession. one has to wonder if he is a product of entitlement more-so then talent...from what i saw at barney's, many looked but no one purchased or even tried on anything. i guess pretty is as pretty does.

^i completely agree luckyme. i think that also,in your observation of shoppers,it may prove that people do actually consider the quality of the idea as well....that sense of originality. knowing the type of customer that barney's generally boasts. as you said and i concur wholeheartedly,i know i would never pay that much money for that stuff especially with the notion that i could easily find such things on a much cheaper scale or i could easily do myself,thanks to surplus and second hand. in fact,it's all quite literally 'DIY' which is something you obviously can't compare with junya,thimister and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtletulip413
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->