Gucci goes.. Versace

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Lena, May 28, 2003.

View Users: View Users
  1. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

:shock: i'm in shock , i really am
    if it only happens, Donatella might finally be the one to have the last laugh :lol:

2. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

Wow wierd, I cant imagine versace with otu donetella it would be so wierd no mroe tacky clotehs!1 :shock:

3. Acid

Acid yes

these people are on some SERIOUS MONEY

TOM FORD is thought to have made approximately $38 million in the last two months after cashing in some of his Gucci stock options. According to filings with the Dutch financial market regulators, Ford exercised nearly half of the four million stock options that he holds in the company between April 7 and May 5. His actions came at the same time as he and the Gucci CEO, Domenico de Sole, began discussions with their parent company, Pinault-Printemps-Redoute, about renewing their contracts when their expiry date comes up next year. Ford was rumoured earlier this year to be lining himself up to take over as CEO, since 58-year-old De Sole was thought to be planning to quit Gucci when the time came to renew his contract. In March, he admitted to being "very excited to at some point in the future make the transition from designer to CEO". He stipulated, however, that no concrete plans had been decided upon in lieu of the expiry date. "Our contracts are up in 2004 and it's true we haven't signed to extend," he said. "But as long as we can continue to do what we do with full control and independence, we both intend to stay a long time." (May 28 2003, AM)

4. trean

trean New Member

:shock: I hope not!

:brows: :heart: :brows:
    [​IMG]

5. Poison

Poison New Member

Trean- Versace rulezzz :p

6. Poison

Poison New Member

Acid time to join Versace :lol:

7. Tom Ford is a great inspiration, good luck to him were ever he decides to go, he will do wonders

8. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

lol I just ran into this old thread and it's interesting to see how things could have turned out differently if what the article suggested actually happened.
    Can you imagine Tom Ford working at Versace now? Or Frida working at Versace? :shock:

9. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

this sounds like one of those stories floated to help lubricate contract negotiations. anyone who knows anything about the versace family knows this story could not carry water: as if donatella versace would cede control to tom ford and allegro versace to domenico de sole!

10. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

^ :lol: Exactly my thoughts. And its not just Donatella, many designers will not give up their creative control. ESPECIALLY when it's a family business. One of the many reasons why I love Versace.

11. IAmLordZen

^ agree. I can't imagine Versace without the Versaces behind it.

12. mikeijames

one wonders who will sell their stake first and to whom?

13. Versace-Goddess

Versace-Goddess New Member

It would be very strange for me as well to see someone else behind the brand. I think Donatella do it great at the moment but she already said that she´s looking for who would take over. It cold be more Christopher Kane than Tom or Frida.

14. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

Well I like to that Frida is out of the question so let's not go there. Christopher Kane? It's hard to say since he's only done one collection for the company and it wasn't even the main line. But judging from his Versus debut? Probably not. He's too minimal for a house like Versace (although it might be Versace's current direction anyway).

Allesandra F. and Tom Ford are the best candidates I can think of.

15. montrealm

montrealm New Member

^ Allesandra Facchinetti didn't had it easy at all!! First at Gucci, how difficult can it get when someone like Tom Ford leaves the house... and then Valentino. But I think she should do something of her own, it was difficult for her to adapt into a brand's frame.

16. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

^ I'll have to disagree. Allesandra adapted perfectly into Gucci and Valentino. Especially Gucci. The transition between Tom Ford and her was very subtle yet apparent. I think she would make a suitable successor for Donatella.

17. D A N A

D A N A Active Member

I wonder if Allegra would ever consider taking over?

18. D A N A

D A N A Active Member

^ I guess not, after I googled her ^_^

19. mikeijames

christopher kane is -- and has been for years -- being groomed for the position as head designer of the house of versace womenswear. at his earliest collections, donatella versace took an interest in him -- providing the shoes for his early collection -- stating that he reminded her of gianni versace himself. his work for versus found itself limited by what that house can get produced and sold. he can't create the fantasies we know him for in his main line because a bridge line like versus can't afford to produce stuff like that and keep their margins the same.

tom ford will never design for another house outside of his own; also, no house could afford him now in this current environment. young talent not only is mold-able into whatever design aesthetic a house has established, but they're wonderfully cheap. i don't care what you think of allesandra, she will not survive at the forefront of another major house like gucci or valentino. at this point, i'd imagine she'd return to the tutelage of tom ford for his womenswear debut. they worked magic together.

20. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

^ Maybe Im underestimating Kane. I personally adore his work. His S/S 2007 collection resembled Versace a lot to me. I just get the feeling that he just isn't........ Versace-compatible. But Donatella seems to be very confident in him, which is a positive sign I guess.

Poor Alessandra. She's like the most misunderstood designer ever. She really needs to get back into it.