*gucci group drama/ mcQueen turns down YSL offer

Originally posted by mehg@Dec 26th, 2003 - 8:21 am
Booo to Tom. His greatest accomplistment at Gucci was making it mainstream. A household name. You never know what narciso might do for Gucci. I think he deserves a chance at least. I haven't liked Gucci's past collections at all and its time for someone new...if narciso sucks, well then he can be replaced too :flower:
ditto :flower:

I know that I may be getting ahead of ourselves here by saying that Narciso won't suit Gucci very well, but when you look at what he stands for, he just doesn't cut it. He is about taking a more minimal approach to things. Yes, his clothes are sexy, but they don't have that certain mystery that Gucci has. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be given the chance, I'm just saying that I don't think Gucci is ready for Narciso.

I could be wrong but Narciso does not seem daring and exciting enough to be at Gucci. Tom Ford is highly creative and made works of art. I just don't see Narciso doing that because by the looks of his clothes, he lacks some imagination. :huh:

:blink: new today from VogueUK

WILL STELLA TAKE THE GUCCI CROWN?

NARCISO RODRIGUEZ, Alexander McQueen and Marc Jacobs have all been rumoured to be sharpening their scissors for the Gucci job, but the latest rumours on the fashion mill have Stella McCartney in line to take over from Tom Ford in April. The speculation that Stella, who is credited with turning around the fashion fortunes of Chloe before launching her own Gucci-backed label, will come as a refreshing change for the designer who received a barrage of negative press before Christmas that even prompted rumours of an organised campaign against her. Stella, whose close friendship with her would-be predecessor, 42-year-old Ford, has been well documented, is certainly well placed to take his place. A spokesman for the designer declined to comment on the rumours this morning, however. (January 5 2004, AM)

:sick: I think she could be a disaster for Gucci..
still, will all the money they are wasting on her,
it's not a bad idea to make her pay back Gucci Group
by taking over Tom's chair for Gucci for .. :innocent: free :rofl: :rofl:

yup apparently stella has bagged the job

which seems somehow STRANGE.......seing as 60% of gucci's revenue's are from LEATHER GOODS
and there is miss stella who is ANTI LEATHER :wacko:

she's not a good designer.........just as liz jagger said 'its not enough just to rehash trousers'

I agree with both of you guys! :flower: Though what if she can do what she did for Chloe for Gucci? Maybe she's good designing for other houses but not for her own label. :wacko:

narciso could be good for gucci - but I'd hate to see stella do it, I don't like her designs at all

On another note, I'm thrilled about mcqueen for ysl :flower:

i think mcqueen would be good for ysl.

but i don't think narciso rodriguez would fit at gucci.
i wouldn't say narciso is boring, his stuff is just minimal and simple, which is good, but tom ford is made gucci into more of an...i don't want to say edgy...but i guess it works. ford is more random and experimental where with rodriguez you can almost expect it.

they are both great designers but i don't think rodriguez would cut it for gucci. i like stella mccartney for gucci.

There was a topic similar to this in another forum with a person who posted "I wouldn't be thrilled with seeing McQueen at YSL because the couture is gone" and I partially agree.

I mean we've pretty much seen what McQueen can do, which is excellent, and just doing RTW at YSL can be quite boring. I wanna see him do couture that's what will make it exciting. Just doing RTW may not be worth it for McQueen, IMO. :ermm: He rather should concentrate on his label.

If there must be someone else....Rodriguez for Gucci :rolleyes: not McCartney :yuk: Sorry...my opinion.

Regarding Stella McC for Gucci, I think the San Francisco Examiner summed up my feelings quite well:

A fashion no-no?
Have those fools at Gucci learned nothing? After losing millions on designer Stella McCartney's signature label, they're reportedly considering making her Gucci's creative director. Tom Ford recently resigned and now fashion insiders say Gucci execs think McCartney's the only one who can fill Tom's shoes.

:huh:

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Jan 7th, 2004 - 9:00 pm

A fashion no-no?
Have those fools at Gucci learned nothing? After losing millions on designer Stella McCartney's signature label, they're reportedly considering making her Gucci's creative director. Tom Ford recently resigned and now fashion insiders say Gucci execs think McCartney's the only one who can fill Tom's shoes.

:rofl: so correct, thanks for sharing stylegurrl :flower:

(what if they plan to make her pay out her debt in Gucci Group by working for free as Gucci's new artistic director? that could save them some money... my beautiful laundrette :innocent: )

A) If I recall correctly -surprise, surprise!- Stella's clothing line reported a significant increase on their last quarter
B) I love McQueen .. but after what happened at Givenchy, well ... I dunno!

B) I have a gut reaction that we should wait until the actual appointments are announced !!!

Surely Francois Pinault , Serge Weinberg et al are not SO stupid as to put these two highly successful labels into jeapordy by assigning designers who do not seem to be ' cutting it ' ? If they are the ruthless businessmen that they make themselves out to be , eg ousting FORD and DE SOLE , then they MUST have an eye on ' the bottom line ' and Stella's bottom line hardly gives one cause for supreme confidence .

I think a real surprise might be ' in store ' , imho .

Regards KIT :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

It was Ford's & De Sole's decision to leave Gucci Group, they were certainly not 'dropped' by Pinault :wink:

and yes, even though i do agree there may be a surprise at the end, it doesnt hurt to follow the story by posting all latest developements on this story. :flower:

Originally posted by Lena+Jan 7th, 2004 - 8:37 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Jan 7th, 2004 - 8:37 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-stylegurrl@Jan 7th, 2004 - 9:00 pm

A fashion no-no?

:rofl: so correct, thanks for sharing stylegurrl :flower:

(what if they plan to make her pay out her debt in Gucci Group by working for free as Gucci's new artistic director? that could save them some money... my beautiful laundrette :innocent: ) [/b][/quote]
:lol:

I absoluely agree guys! :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@Jan 8th, 2004 - 4:44 am
It was Ford's & De Sole's decision to leave Gucci Group, they were certainly not 'dropped' by Pinault :wink:

and yes, even though i do agree there may be a surprise at the end, it doesnt hurt to follow the story by posting all latest developements on this story. :flower:
AGREED ABSOLUTELY , LENA :flower:

But didn't Pinault and Weinberg leave Ford and de Sole no option when their integrity , both financial and artistic , was compromised ?

Nobody is more interested in what is to happen than myself !
Keep the speculation going say I !!!

I only hope it's NOT Stella for Gucci !!! :yuk:

Regards KIT :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

i think Ford's - DeSole problems with Pinault started a long time ago,
so it seems not to be based on creative/financial issues
everyone knew that they will depart Gucci as soon as the company turned to Pinault hands, not exactly sure about the true reasons behind the bad blood though :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena@Jan 8th, 2004 - 7:32 am
i think Ford's - DeSole problems with Pinault started a long time ago,
so it seems not to be based on creative/financial issues
everyone knew that they will depart Gucci as soon as the company turned to Pinault hands, not exactly sure about the true reasons behind the bad blood though :ninja:
HI LENA :flower:

From what I gather from the press , British , French , American etc. , both financial and otherwise , deSole and Ford wanted comlete and utter managerial and artistic freedom , as they had had since before the PPR ' takeover ' , and the refusal of Pinault and Weinberg to continue with this arrangement after the full takeover in April led to an ' impasse ' only resolved by deSole and Ford walking away .

If PPR do make utterly stupid decisions like putting Stella McCartney as designer into Gucci ( and the Lord knows WHO they would put into YSL if the Gucci decision is par for the course ) , then PPR only has itself to blame if it falls behind LVMH in the luxury brand stakes !!!

Yours in anticipation !!! KIT :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

MEANWHILE, while Arnold is governating, fellow action star Jean-Claude Van Damme is writing poetry . . . El Al mailed out color photos of Richard Gere, at the bulkhead, with the caption "Seated next to his good friend, Israel's former Chief Rabbi Israel Lao." The marketing strategy's accompanying note says in the last six months, Gere flew El Al twice . . . We know Narciso Rodriguez is taking over Gucci, but did we know Alexander McQueen is taking over Yves Saint Laurent? . . . Did we know that at Chelsea Piers Sports Center Q-Tip was talking to David Blaine who was talking to Mark Ronson? . . . Did we know Vincent D'Onofrio was dancing by himself at Bungalow 8?
(emphasis mine)

Snippet from Cindy Adams column in today's New York Post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"