Gucci Timeline

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Lena, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

Gucci through the ages -and a pretty good lesson on how to built and lose a family business- from wwd of today :flower:

2. Nader

Nader gromosexual

Nice :) It's a good thing to refer back to! Good work hun

3. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

I don't know why, but for some reason I think that Gucci will take a reverse path, u know, wind up where it was before Tom and Dom came in. I don't know why, but some of PPR's descisions so far don't seem to be in the brand's best interest. It'll be interesting to see if I'm right or wrong.

4. Nader

Nader gromosexual

Yeah, I dunno about a trio working on Gucci... it might look too jumbled, and some disagreements or differences might negatively show through the clothes. But it'd be their first season there, so I won't expect the world. I have faith in Pilati though :D

5. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

Nader, your signature is a riot! I hate to admit, but that's any high school girl in my neighborhoods dream as well. :lol:

6. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V.R

That's sad :neutral:

7. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

What is?

8. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V.R

Aw, how everything turned from this small shop in Florence, to this huge empire, and now everything is going downhill again... :ninja:

9. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

I've read alot about the Guccis.. The House of Gucci and Gucci: A House Divided were two of the books I've read. The former was better... and both were very revealing. I used Guccio (the founder of the whole shebang in the early 1900s) for my English biography paper I had to write.

Tom Ford is depicted is a hard worker in those two books, but from other stories I've heard, maybe he isn't. Who knows.

10. Orochian

Orochian New Member

I also agree that a singular unified vision is absolutely necessary for a brand like Gucci. Let's hope the three designers have some sort of mutual understanding and effective communication about the general direction of their first season.

But eventually I feel a creative director overseeing the entire brand is needed.

11. faust

faust New Member

I also agree that a singular unified vision is absolutely necessary for a brand like Gucci. Let's hope the three designers have some sort of mutual understanding and effective communication about the general direction of their first season.

But eventually I feel a creative director overseeing the entire brand is needed. [/b][/quote]
    I am convinced that PPR has 90% of their faith in advertising rather than design.

12. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

I am convinced that PPR has 90% of their faith in advertising rather than design. [/b][/quote]
    absolutely ;) they dont care a bit about the design element, they never did :evil:

what makes me wonder is how unfair is for a hard built familybusiness, just as it starts making serious money.. (due to success) to slip out of family control and gradually pass to a group of directors..

13. faust

faust New Member

absolutely ;) they dont care a bit about the design element, they never did :evil:

what makes me wonder is how unfair is for a hard built familybusiness, just as it starts making serious money.. (due to success) to slip out of family control and gradually pass to a group of directors.. [/b][/quote]
    yea, they could be publicity/socialite Gods, instead of just plain wealthy :p :innocent:

14. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

I've heard that the Gucci family was rumoured to involved with the Mafia...admittedly just about every large Italian firm (inc. Versace) is 'rumoured' to have Mafia connexions...

15. Orochian

Orochian New Member

I am convinced that PPR has 90% of their faith in advertising rather than design. [/b][/quote]
    We'll see how quickly their faith in such a strategy dissipates. Gucci wasn't brought back from the grave by the strength of advertising and marketing alone.

Next thing you know we may be seeing licensed umbrellas and GG-logoed lighters at your local duty free shops. :ninja:

Oh I don't even wanna ponder on that thought...

16. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

whatever gets big bugdet in fashion magazines sells so..

17. ahhGucci

ahhGucci Active Member

This has got to be my favorite thread. I love the history of Gucci hence the name.

Tragically, the Gucci family no longer live. Rumour has it this also has something to do with the mafia.

What goes up, must come down, thats the case here.

18. JuliaS

JuliaS New Member

This has got to be my favorite thread. I love the history of Gucci hence the name.

Tragically, the Gucci family no longer live. Rumour has it this also has something to do with the mafia.

What goes up, must come down, thats the case here. [/b][/quote]
    Luckily the Gucci family is still alive (or some of its members). I just met the great-grandson of the Gucci founder in Milan. But he was not even allowed to enter the store :cry: What are they afraid of, that he takes over the company again?
    Julia :flower:

19. ahhGucci

ahhGucci Active Member

Julia, welcome to the fashion spot :flower:
    You are correct in pointing out that there is more to this story than meets the eye. Why is the great grandson not allowed in the store? Its this in my opinion that gives Gucci its Infamy, it does to me.

20. JuliaS

JuliaS New Member

He wanted to show me the store and explain how it used to be when still owned by the family. But they obviously knew his face and did not let him in, saying something about that the presence of his family is no longer accepted. :unsure: :(
    It was not such a big incident though, we happily continued our tour going to other stores.
    But it must be weird to still have the same name and to have lost your family's past somehow.
    Julia :flower: