Gucci Uomo S/S 05

The house is Gucci not Tom Ford...the designs have to be in the spirit of the house - not cheap copies of Tom Ford...

But the thing is, Ford's vision is the spirit of the house. I would never want to see repeats of what's been done by Ford in the past, but I don't really see any common link between this Gucci and Ford's Gucci, I think the spirit has left the building.

:o Copies....I see so many things that are almost exact of past Tom Ford stuff...

The house may be Gucci, but its not the Gucci I love without Tom Ford...the visionary behind all of it.

THis will probably be the first collection I'm not gonna buy anything from. :innocent:

Originally posted by Spike413@Jun 30th, 2004 - 6:18 pm
But the thing is, Ford's vision is the spirit of the house. I would never want to see repeats of what's been done by Ford in the past, but I don't really see any common link between this Gucci and Ford's Gucci, I think the spirit has left the building.
Ford's vision ended when he left the house...its in the archives now and Ray can take inspiration from it if he wishes to do so...but it's NOT Ford's Gucci anymore....it's Ray's now...and i think he did a pretty good job. It's quite a lovely collection.

But why is it okay for Ray to take Gucci in a direction Ford might not have, but people like Ford and Galliano horbor critiscism for not staying true to the spirit of YSL and Dior? Wouldn't that be the same thing here? However nice the collection is isn't what's bothering me, it's the fact that it's hardly in line with the spirit of Gucci mens which, like it or not, Ford created. Ray doesn't even really need to look at the archives, he's been there since 96, at this point he should know what Gucci represents, and I hardly doubt that he doesn't, which is why I feel that this collection is very nice (not necessarily my style) but not true to Gucci.

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Jun 30th, 2004 - 10:08 am
Whether Ford was a great stylist, editor or added crucial finishing touches, it is his sly eye and sexy grin that Gucci is missing this season.
there is something missing from this collection. it is very true the clothes are not that different and whatever excuses you want to come up with it does not excuse that part of it. tom ford added something unspeakable to gucci. it was celebrity, it was glamour, it was pretension. when tom ford was unknown and designing those first suits for gucci, that sharkskin was the hottest stuff to hit new york. EVERYBODY was wearing it in certain circles. it was a craze. when there's a regime change, the first few collections need to be hyped and they need to be the best because they need to convince those of us who actually bought gucci that it's similar to what it was.

THis will probably be the first collection I'm not gonna buy anything from.

but i'm sure everyone is going to be buying up (rephrase: is buying up) the fall items trickling into stores now. how iconic will tom ford for gucci red velvet jackets be for men....

(this is a picture from that first men's fall collection in '96)

Well, I love it.

I must admit, I always thought Tom's Homme collections were more outstanding than his women's, but these photos seem to combine elements of both Tom's, Gucci, and the new designers taste.

Well done! :smile:

Originally posted by mikeijames+Jun 30th, 2004 - 8:18 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mikeijames @ Jun 30th, 2004 - 8:18 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-stylegurrl@Jun 30th, 2004 - 10:08 am
Whether Ford was a great stylist, editor or added crucial finishing touches, it is his sly eye and sexy grin that Gucci is missing this season.
there is something missing from this collection. it is very true the clothes are not that different and whatever excuses you want to come up with it does not excuse that part of it. tom ford added something unspeakable to gucci. it was celebrity, it was glamour, it was pretension. when tom ford was unknown and designing those first suits for gucci, that sharkskin was the hottest stuff to hit new york. EVERYBODY was wearing it in certain circles. it was a craze. when there's a regime change, the first few collections need to be hyped and they need to be the best because they need to convince those of us who actually bought gucci that it's similar to what it was.

THis will probably be the first collection I'm not gonna buy anything from. 

but i'm sure everyone is going to be buying up (rephrase: is buying up) the fall items trickling into stores now. how iconic will tom ford for gucci red velvet jackets be for men....

(this is a picture from that first men's fall collection in '96) [/b][/quote]
I loved Tom's collections, although that one wasn't my favorite, that suit is a celebrity in and of itself.

Tom is writing his memoires about his years with Gucci. It will be out by Nov. 2004. Anne Wintour is writing the forward.

Originally posted by model_mom@Jun 30th, 2004 - 11:31 pm
Tom is writing his memoires about his years with Gucci. It will be out by Nov. 2004. Anne Wintour is writing the forward.
Hmmm, I kinda like know about the inside of Gucci while he was there.......probably an interesting read.

Originally posted by mdankwah@Jun 29th, 2004 - 1:10 pm
HERE WE GO
I love white suits. Kinda reminds me of the Miami Vice era :lol:

Not too sure about the pin stripes.

White, sexy and virginal all at once :P

Originally posted by Spike413@Jun 30th, 2004 - 10:11 pm
I loved Tom's collections, although that one wasn't my favorite, that suit is a celebrity in and of itself.
that wasn't one of my favorites but that jacket from eight years ago would still make a splash today....(which is why he put it on the runway again for his finale)...do you see anything that's part of this collection that you'd wear eight years down the road? the clothes just aren't there. it's cute, but it's not monumental.

Originally posted by mikeijames+Jul 1st, 2004 - 11:39 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mikeijames @ Jul 1st, 2004 - 11:39 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spike413@Jun 30th, 2004 - 10:11 pm
that wasn't one of my favorites but that jacket from eight years ago would still make a splash today....(which is why he put it on the runway again for his finale)...do you see anything that's part of this collection that you'd wear eight years down the road? the clothes just aren't there. it's cute, but it's not monumental. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I know what you mean, that velvet jacket is a classic piece for any well dressed guy. No matter how nice this collection is, it fits a mood right now, who knows when the next bohemian moment will be.

Ford's vision ended when he left the house...its in the archives now and Ray can take inspiration from it if he wishes to do so...but it's NOT Ford's Gucci anymore....it's Ray's now...and i think he did a pretty good job. It's quite a lovely collection.

Exactly :innocent:

The Review: John Ray for Gucci Mens SS 05

The bohemian pieces were definetly an ode to Tom's Fall 2001 Mens collection for Gucci. The difference, John Ray's were more embellished.

The rest I decided not to take notes of anymore. Why, because for one it was obvious he was playing it safe, next it was trying hard.

I don't know, I'm just not feeling it. It lacks the singular vision the house had under TF.

I'm not too fond of all the pieces.. but I LOVE the accessories!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kancuk24
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->