Guys Help I Have The Urge To Buy A Fake....

Reaction score
So usually I am very anti-fakes of any kind. I think they're vile.

Recently I decided that I very badly want a burberry scarf for autumn/winter. But they're so expensive and I don't know how I'd get the money etc. etc.

Then the thought crossed my mind...

...What if I just buy a fake?

...There are some pretty convincing fakes.

...I live in a small town, no one would notice the difference.

...It's just a pattern!

Guys help me! What's wrong with me? I feel terrible about this. Do you guys think it'd be okay to buy a fake just this once? I need advice...

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a fake just because the majority of people wouldn't notice it. I guess I'd feel like I was making a fool of myself.
But then again.. I do understand your feelings. Perhaps you should just buy the fake and try to save up for an authentic one next season? :flower:

Hold off for a while. It could be one of those shopaholic feelings that passes in a short moment or least until one finds something else to be obsessed over (of course I am not talking about myself! :innocent: ) In all seriousity (is there even such a word?) remember that buying the scarf might make you feel like crap later on because like Carrie mentions in SATC, you would know that it is a fake, even if no one else does. Plus, what's wonderful about a Burberry scarf really is the quality. I mean, it's really just a pattern, right?

1. Counterfeiting robs the U.S. alone of more than $200 billion a year. It's a cash, tax-free business; legitimate citizens like yourself will still get stuck paying taxes, while counterfeiters line their pockets at your expense.

2. Terrorists, gangs and organized crime syndicates all profit from selling counterfeit merchandise. Sometimes designer handbag knockoffs are lined with drugs and used for smuggling things like heroin, too. There is also evidence that the bombing of the World Trade Center in '93 was funded by the sale of counterfeit apparel.

Hmm I may take BrothaG's advice and buy a fake now to hold me over, then save up for a real one.

And TheSoCalledPrep...If my scarf were being used to smuggle drugs, wouldn't they be sold to someone else? That's a waste of drugs to sell it to me! It's just a $20 scarf, I don't think I'm robbing tax payers of too much...

I still really don't know. Like someone mentioned about Carrie's feelings on a fake, I'd still know it's fake and that really might eat me alive...

It's just wrong, IMO... You'd be much better off buying a wool scarf at Goodwill and having it cleaned, or buying a nice 50% wool scarf at Target.

Buy it now. Life's too short. And if you really regret your purchase give it away (it's only 20$ after all) or use it as a duster.

where would you get the fake?...even banana republic does lookalikes...and that's perfectly legal and guilt free...

i just bought a knock off of a designer vaccuum...$100 versus $300...and i think it was a smart buy...i also just got some frye sandals which look VERY much like some other designers who charge double and triple the price...

just don't buy something that is poor quality because it won't last and in the end you'll have to buy another and really wind up losing money in the long run...

happy shopping...

i don't know...something like Burberry print-I would just get the real one, I really would. I think with a print like that you can tell if it's a fake. But if you really, really want one and can't stop the Burberry urge, do it-i so know what it's like to want something that badly! I'm so impatient!
Or maybe you don't have to get a cashmere scarf-get a lambswool one? Wouldn't it be cheaper?

Originally posted by impossibleprincess@Aug 19 2004, 12:13 PM
Or maybe you don't have to get a cashmere scarf-get a lambswool one? Wouldn't it be cheaper?
[snapback]338532[/snapback]​

Yup, but hopelessly scratchy.

Just don't do it fakes are bad, and I can tell you don't want to buy a fake because you said yourself you don't like fakes, so why want one, right?!

If you save up for a real one you'll feel so much better when you buy it, it makes me feel great if i save for something for a while and then i get it it makes it even more special.

softies right. get a decent looking lookalike...not necessarily a 'fake'.
and sybarites right too....who knows about tomorrow?!?!? if you dont have the money, you still deserve to have what you want! and if this is what you want, i say go for it and dont care...

Get the fake. If no one knows, who cares. My issue with fakes isn't the ethical end. Hell, why do I care that Louis Vuitton--a company that rips off millions with overpriced $5500 Thedas--is losing money on a fake? Stick it to 'em, I say! The problem is, most fakes are so ugly. If you can find a goodlooking fake that doesn't scream CHINATOWN. . . run don't walk!

Kinda off topic: I find it so amusing that people are putting Burberry, Gucci, and LV logos on cars, visors, scrunchies, skateboards, etc. It really takes the piss out of logomania, luxury whores, and the whole idea of status. I wanna see more of that!

You obviously only like the status symbol of Burberry patterns. Otherwise, why not get other decent scarfs? If you get cheaper knockoffs, people would know that's it isn't the original! If you can find something that looks EXACTLY like the original, then get it. If not, just wait for a while and get a real one. I'm sure you don't want to settle for a 4 strip BerBarry scarf :rolleyes:

i say go with the fake, for sure. you can find a lot on ebay-- you can even find real ones on ebay that are pretty inexpensive.

if you want a burberry scarf because of status or to go with an outfit this season, get the fake.

if you want the burberry scarf for luxury and quality, buy a real one.

i'd rather give $20 to a businessperson in China who does eBay than give $200 to the Burberry overpricing thieves. =)

I've got a fake LV wallet and where i'm from (oregon), nobody can tell the difference. i dont' flash it out and i'm not PROUD that it's a fake, but hey.. i'd rather have a fake and feel like a fraud for $16 than a real one and feel like a sucker for $200.

if you do get a fake and some of them aren't bad, just make sure it's subtle.

Originally posted by hollyslookingdry@Aug 21 2004, 12:11 AM
I don't want it for status, I just thing the nova check in tan is really cute...
[snapback]340511[/snapback]​

I don't mean to pick on you but I never understand when people say that about fake things. Even if that really is true, and you just think it is cute, it is a status symbol to a lot of people and especially since you live in a small town you will probably be getting looks left at right from people trying to see if it is real or not. I think you could find something equally cute at any legitimate mid-priced store and not have to worry that people are going to be judging you for your scarf. As far as I understand, fakes fall apart very fast, which means it wont even be worth getting at all. If you wait and save up then when you have the money for a real one it will feel all that more special. Have you considered looking at some of the online discount stores like bluefly.com and designergoodsonline.com? I am pretty sure they have very good reputations, and if I am not mistaken they both carry Burberry.

Here's a nice solution:
Get one a real Burberry scarf on discount. I bought mine at Saks Off Fifth for something like 30 dollars at the very beginning of the fall season. But, I'm really glad I bought it on sale bacause I ended up losing it by February. Oops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->