Gwyneth Paltrow's 'frenemy'

LolaSvelt

Reaction score
Gwyn writes, “Back in the day, I had a ‘frenemy’ who, as it turned out, was pretty hell-bent on taking me down. This person really did what they could to hurt me. I was deeply upset, I was angry, I was all of those things you feel when you find out that someone you thought you liked was venomous and dangerous. I restrained myself from fighting back. I tried to take the high road. But one day I heard that something unfortunate and humiliating had happened to this person. And my reaction was deep relief and…happiness. There went the high road. So, why does it feel so good to hear something bad about someone you don’t like? Or someone you DO like? Or someone you don’t KNOW? I once asked the editor of a tabloid newspaper why all of the stories about a famous British couple had a negative bent. He said that when the headline was positive, the paper didn’t sell. Why is that? What’s wrong with us? I asked the sages to shed a little light. Here’s to washing our mouths out with soap… Love, Gwyneth.”
All evidence is pointing towards Winona Ryder, who was close friends with Paltrow for a few years.

So do you guys think she is refering to Winona's arrest for shoplifting when she writes; "But one day I heard that something unfortunate and humiliating had happened to this person. And my reaction was deep relief and…happiness."? Thats quite bitchy. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, I don't know what happened between them, but I don't think it's necessarily bitchy to be pleased when you think someone who has wronged you in some way has received their comeuppance.

But feeling deep relief and happines is imho, even when person in question has been nasty to you in the past.

And the "Famous British Couple" she mentiones is without a doubt Posh&Becks. :lol:

maybe deep relief in that person was put away...? put in prison

competition is scary :ninja:

What about Madonna? She could be referring to Madonna's failure to adopt Mercy, which was humiliating for Madonna...

or the divorce with Madonna and Guy. Hard to choose, lots of famous British couples with negative headlines.

Again, I don't think it's bitchy. I don't think it's wrong to take some sense of pleasure/gratification in discovering someone who has wrong you in some way (been horrible to you in highschool, took credit for a project you organized and got promoted off of it, etc.). I mean, it depends on the circumstances. I'm not saying if someone who was rude to you a couple times and then has a dying parent, that you should be like 'woo hoo!'. But if someone made fun of you for being an overachiever in highschool, or was rude to you in that way because they couldn't be bothered to do their work, and then was rejected from a good university, I would say that was some sort of justice. I'm not giving a personal example here :P Just trying to say, I think the punishment depends on the crime. But it's not instantly horrible to be glad that someone got what they deserved.

In before the hate

didn't know there was a thread here about it and I just repost my reply here -

I don't think she's talking about Winona at all.

The rumours have always been that Gwyneth stole the SIL script off Winona's coffee table (you can't forget to mention the coffee table).

Truth is that Julia Roberts was attached for a few years with Daniel Day Lewis but when he dropped out so did she. John Madden the director chose Gwyneth so that's that.

So how could Winona be the bad guy when she is the "victim" in the well lets face it it's now a Hollywood "urban legends". It's like one of the top 5 reasons people hate Gwyneth.

There is a post about this on ONTD and some members are saying that Winona isn't as cool and awesome (shoplifting aside) as they says she is.

AND lets also remember that when Gwyneth started dating Ben she was the one who introduced Winona to Matt Damon (they lasted longer than Gwyn & Ben BTW). Matt and Ben won the Oscars in March 1998. Gwyneth was filming SIL then and didn't attend the show.

So if Winona "felt betrayed" by Gwyneth for stealing her role then why did they still hang out after she had finished filming SIL (and then while Gwyn and Matt filmed TTMR). Their friendship "ended" in like 2000 when Gwyn went off to London and became super bff's with Madonna and Stella.

So this is why I don't think it's Winona. I just don't think it is.

The MTV celebrity smackdown fight between the two was funny though.

LolaSvelt said:
What about Madonna? She could be referring to Madonna's failure to adopt Mercy, which was humiliating for Madonna...

Are you serious. I'd believe Winona over Madonna any day.

Madonna and Gwyneth are tight.

Actually at the start, she wrote "Back in the day...", so it's not Madonna.

I don't think it's necessarily bitchy either, it's just a natural reaction. You would have to be a zen monk to truly say you didn't feel any relief or feeling that justice was done in a way... It's karma.

Forget the feud, this blog/site whatever takes the prize for the most patronizing, vapid, inane thing ever to hit the net.

I don't buy that she stole Shakespeare In Love, but I do think it has to do with that movie. I think Winona wanted it but Gwyneth had her "special" relationship with Harvey Weinstein and she owned that part. This was around the same time that Winona's career was winding down anyway. She was screwing up for awhile, ever since she pulled out of The Godfather sequel.

Gwyneth is no angel though. James Ulmer, of The Ulmer Scale, wrote in his book that Gwyneth was extremely abusive to underlings on the set of Shakespeare.

On the one hand there's a part of me that wants to feel like Gwyneth should probably keep her thoughts to herself because really the world doesn't need her to pontificate on a subject that countless other people have brought up in this age of tabloid obsession.

On the other I kind of like that she put a tidbit of information out there that shows something beneath the perfect veneer. And I can't really fault her for it, that's a pretty natural human reaction. Doesn't make you a good person or a bad person, just human.

I'm dying to know who and what she's referring to though. :lol:

if it is winona,f*** her i say. winona is a much better actor when with good material and she doesn't act like a pretentious suck-up.

and who cares really? why on earth is gwyn talking about this in the public? it seems so pathetic to me,whomever it regards.

could be kate moss too. gwyneth and kate were friends from 1998-2002. once kate had her baby, i never saw pictures of her with gwyneth again. and kate did have the unfortunate incident in 2005.

I don't think it's necessarily bitchy either, it's just a natural reaction. You would have to be a zen monk to truly say you didn't feel any relief or feeling that justice was done in a way... It's karma.

I am not a Zen monk, and I do my very best not to allow myself to feel triumphant when I see someone get their comeuppance. Karma comes to us all ... that's what I try to remember. Now if it's instant karma, that can be hard not to appreciate :lol: Someone screwed me over just yesterday, and today it would be very hard not to smile (OK, grin) if something happened. Actually though I did have a moment today where I felt sorry for her, because she was acting out of deep fear and insecurity--a very bad place to be.

When people do that stuff they are literally setting themselves up for a fall ... but I remember that I've done it myself.

^ fashionista-ta, i like your post... if i may elabortate; when i say it's a natural reaction... i mean, i think there is a point where you can objectively say... well, he/she really did have it coming, what goes around comes around... etc, and feel good in that respect, since you know that karma is working. Though i agree it is hard to stay completely objective sometimes... i dont think that necessarily means you are feeling this great sense of entitlement either, or like personal justice was done to you-- i completely agree that it's best to keep away from dwelling on that as a feeling of personal victory.. since ultimatley it isnt.

that's what i do try to remind myself as well, that is isn't personal, it is just the law of karma. but to stay completely objective, without having a hint of that 'nya nya nya...' moment can be challenging. :P i wouldn't condemn anyone for having that moment... i think the important part is when you are able to then go beyond it, and stop yourself from considering it as a reward on your behalf, and ultimatle hope the other person can learn, grow or get whatever they need to out of that.

and now i have really gone on about this. sorry :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->