Hair Removal on Upper Lip

^ Oh ouch! That's horrible... I once tried a cream depilatory on my upper lip (yeaa I was young and dumb then) and was left with a bright red chemical burn that scabbed up for a few days but thankfully didn't scar... hahaha, nowadays I just tweeze any visible hairs and leave the peach fuzz alone.

i've actually been wondering about this lately because the sides of my mouth..i seem to have sparse pieces of hair. for someone who is more olive-toned..do you think threading or plucking is better so that the hair does not come back thicker? the hairs would be black when grown back and so much more noticeable than a blonde so i'm scared to do anything.

I sugar wax it at home or I thread it myself.
I tried to do threading with a cotton thread, but it didn't quite work. It pulled some hairs out, but others it just tugged and then slipped off. Do you have any tips or know any good tutorial videos?

I tweeze. I used veet or something on the day of my prom and was left with red bumpy skin that I could luckily cover with make-up, but I'll never do that again!

I tried to do threading with a cotton thread, but it didn't quite work. It pulled some hairs out, but others it just tugged and then slipped off. Do you have any tips or know any good tutorial videos?

I admit I'm not very good at it myself. I sugar wax more often, but when I'm in a hurry I'll thread.
I personally find it difficult to keep the thread close to my skin, because I'm at a weird angle when doing my upper lip.
But I basically just mess around until I feel I got most of the hairs. I really need to perfect my technique though.

Sorry, I'm not much help.... I've never been able to remove ALL hairs when threading. I sugar wax for that.

That happened to me when I first started threading too. It just takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it. Now I can get it nice and clean pretty quickly. I just hate that it hurts so dang much right in the middle, above the cupid's bow. My eyes always start watering, never fails...

I found this girl's videos on threading very helpful (she even set up a nice little playlist of her threading videos:( http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=54D8DAE435FAD0AC

Oh, and also, have any of you guys tried the MySpringIt thing? It's a long, tightly wound spring with plastic knobs at each end, and you bend and twist it against the areas you want to remove hair. It basically mimics threading. It hurts a bit more, but it might be worth looking into for those of you who can't get the hang of threading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sara and mehrunissa!

I've heard of the MySpringIt thing, but I haven't tried it. Does hair really grow in finer and lighter with threading? If so, I guess it would be worth it to buy a little thing like that if I can't get the hang of threading.

I use honey/sugar wax at home from a kit I bought online. It's amazing no bumps or redness. I do it every two weeks and love it. I've noticed that the hairs get finer.

I bought this japanese thingy online, its like a spring(?) and it works really well!!

I would recommend laser. Depending on your skin type and color of hair. If you have blonde hair, it won't work, because the laser needs melanin (pigment) in the hair to work. If your skin type is light, then the best type of laser is the Alexandrite wavelenght, it clears hair the best. There are many different makers of this wavelength.
For dark skin, you have to protect the melanin in the skin, so an Nd:YAG laser would be the wavelength that would be selected.

It takes an average of 6 treatments for effective laser hair removal (sometimes more, sometimes less). With the upper lip, you may need 6-8 treatments.

threading, lasers and IPLs, I guess you'll have to find a method that works best for you.

isn't laser pretty expensive `?

I go to a high quality place and they charge by time. So five minutes is $70 Australian dollars. My nurse is super fast and can do lips and underarms and any random hairs :P in that time. the cost builds up with the number of treatments but with someone as lazy as me, it is awesome.

I heard that electrolysis is effective for blonde hair. But don't quote me on it!
As ladylaser said, it depends on your hair/skin type. And as Junn said, it's a bit of a hit/miss game. Try it out to see if it works for you. Laser can be great for some and ineffective for others. But i think that also comes down to the doctor/nurse knowing which laser and what strength etc is appropriate or if laser is not the best solution.

isn't laser pretty expensive `?

Laser is expensive, especially when you will typically get the same area treated multiple times. Though, when you think about it, paying that much for permanent hair removal is cheaper than constantly buying products for temporary removal.

One day I think I will save up and do it. The only thing I'm afraid of is possible scarring and having to grow out all the dark hair and look like big foot before each treatment. :ninja:

I did electrolysis on the upper lip and have been happy with it...
the benefit for that is that it doesn't matter what color your hair is because each hair is treated individually

i recommend Sally Hansen products.. especially bleaching one

Laser is expensive, especially when you will typically get the same area treated multiple times. Though, when you think about it, paying that much for permanent hair removal is cheaper than constantly buying products for temporary removal.

One day I think I will save up and do it. The only thing I'm afraid of is possible scarring and having to grow out all the dark hair and look like big foot before each treatment. :ninja:

Its expensive but you see results right away. Ive done it and never had any redness or bumps, swollen skin..anything like that. The first threee sessions were one moth apart each and for the first one they required me to shave it all off...no creams no wax, just shave it off and by the third week i started seeing finer hair but then i had to shave it for the next appointment so i really never had to grow hair out i was hairless the whole time:P

i got electrolysis on my upper lip too and wasn't happy with it at all..i really can't tell much difference even though i did a few sessions, and it hurt super badly cos for some reason the numbing lotion they used didn't work at all for me :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->