Harem Pants S/S 10

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by cosmicangel, Sep 12, 2009.

1. cosmicangel

cosmicangel Member

I know it's not new but The Harem Pants are in almost every collection in S/S 2010, At least in New York Fashion Week.

Helmut Lang S/S10

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Preen S/S10

[​IMG][​IMG]

Style.com

2. lottie342

lottie342 New Member

I like the ones at Helmut Lang, I'm thinking of buying some Harem pants, they look so comfy.

3. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

cosmicangel, please make sure you spot your trend in at least 5 different, S/S 10 shows otherwise your thread will be merged with the general trends one pinned at the top of the forum.

4. kindi

kindi New Member

i like olivia's pants in this pic
    [​IMG]
    (shopstyle.com)

5. cosmicangel

cosmicangel Member

Yigal Azrouel S/S10

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Nicole Miller S/S10

[​IMG][​IMG]

Style.com

6. The_Ida

The_Ida In Bloom

Don't worry...NYC Fashion Week is all the same anyway :lol:

7. cosmicangel

cosmicangel Member

Rag & Bone S/S10

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Charlotte Ronson S/S10

[​IMG][​IMG]

Style.com

8. cosmicangel

cosmicangel Member

Hahah.. Couldn't agree more :lol::lol:

9. cuppycakes

cuppycakes Active Member

I want a pair

10. lafindesiecle

lafindesiecle New Member

the variety here really kind of links a bunch of trends -- the harem, the drop-crotch, the high-waist, pleat-fronts -- and i think the real larger trend emerging here is playing with the fit of pants at the waist + hip....

i've been trying to figure out how best to wear it... i'm extremely hip-py and it's going to be hard to find a pair that works with that without making it exaggerated in a bad way. i kind of loved the slightly reverse-fit cropped tweed pants at steven alan now as a more subtle way to do this: http://www.stevenalan.com/pages.php?pageid=11&gender=womens#/4

especially paired with the red tights... i think paired with some lace socks/tights, clunky sandals or pumps or lace-up-boots, and a blazer a la rag+bone up there this could work quite well.

karla from karla's closet also rocks the harem-style pants constantly and pulls it off nicely.

11. juneping

juneping New Member

i don't know....i am bit slow to accept new trends.
    this kind of pants do make the models seem they have shorter legs...certain cuts are better than the others....

12. teakrist

teakrist New Member

I LOVE this trend

13. lizaliza

lizaliza New Member

I love this trend, I just cannot pull it off :(

14. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

I have a pair of harem-ish pants from a seller on etsy, though they are more like the pants the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) wear. I'm kind of struggling how to wear them though with my frame because they are so slim on my caves and then so bulky around my hips/thighs. I feel like the cut (of my particular pants) works better on taller people because they can use the excess fabric as pockets, but it's too low on me. Maybe with my slouchy boyfriend blazer it will cut down on the overall bulkiness.

15. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

Oh, those sound difficult. Maybe a short, wide jacket would balance out the bulkiness without literally weighing on top of it; I'm thinking the fabric might be too heavy for a blazer to sit comfortably over the excess, but you'd know better than I. My own harem pants are made from a very thin material, rayon or something, I can't remember. They're fairly easy to wear, but more casual.

16. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

Well mine are from cotton so the side bits (that look like military pants) are a bit floppy so I think a blazer could comfortably sit on top. I worry that a shorter blazer would only accentuate the odd proportions - and not in a good way.

17. lafindesiecle

lafindesiecle New Member

^^ sounds like a wide-necked drapey/silky/thin blouse might work well, tucked in if the pants fit high and with a slim belt maybe -- you keep the hourglass silouhette but then the drapier fabric should tone down the bulk...and with a pair of uber-high strappy sandals? a+.

if the pants are super-bulky i feel like the blazer might just add unecessary weight and i think a lighter and more feminine top can create an interesting contrast, like in the yigal and preen styles above. the blazers work with rag and bone but those are a bit more drop-crotch and less harem-y, and i think the thinner shirts pair better with the pants that have extra hip-bulk.

18. lilianward

lilianward New Member

I have to admit, I really don't like harem pants. I tried to like them :D but.. uh. I feel like they look bad on any body type.. even models look bad in 'em, it makes their hips look huge :huh:

19. couture.gab

couture.gab Member

I've been wanting a pair of these for a while I just can never seem to find the right pair... I do love the Helmut Lang ones those

20. ediewho

ediewho Riot Bug

I like them when i saw them in other people but when i try them myself i see like it doesnt match my style or something...