Harper’s Bazaar Australia September 2018 : Cate Blanchett by Steven Chee

feels slightly too photoshopped but a wonderful september cover and a graceful final issue for Kellie! The price is AUD$12.99 which is exorbitant!! That's about US$9.50! Unless there's some amazing free gift that's too high.

38831554_298856307330092_6256276399619833856_n.jpg

harpersbazaar.com.au

The only thing I'm drawn too in this pic is her left eye, which looks dead.
Love Cate, but there must have been a better cover shot than this.

her facial expression is A*W*F*U*L.
that's a terrible portrait
people may be big fans, but I'm completely bored with her

I like this cover a lot! The styling looks cool and clear despite it being a black dress. That silhouette, and of course the usual chic and minimalist decor design which Australia seems so fond of. Plus, it's not a Carine shot.

Wonder when it will be Kellie's last issue....

her facial expression is A*W*F*U*L.
that's a terrible portrait
people may be big fans, but I'm completely bored with her

I like her as an actress, her print work can be very one note at times. There's been something up with her face for some time now (don't mean plastic surgery.) I thought the same when I saw her red Armani campaign.

She does look very one note on print. The thing is, when compared to someone like Tilda Swinton whose positioning in the fashion world is similar to hers (given their icy, elegant, sometimes even ethereal presence), the former is able to deliver more in print in spite of her signature look.

She does look very one note on print. The thing is, when compared to someone like Tilda Swinton whose positioning in the fashion world is similar to hers (given their icy, elegant, sometimes even ethereal presence), the former is able to deliver more in print in spite of her signature look.

True! She is on the same level as Tilda when it comes to her personal style. There's some spice there (purely based on the looks she goes for), it's just never coming through in print. Maybe she should work with more experimental photographers.

she looks like Chelsea Handler here... oof.

Wow… this is so sadly accurate… LOL

Harper’s Bazaar in general— no matter the country, is such a non-player these days. If it folded today, no one would miss it.

The 6 fashion stories for “THE FASHION ISSUE”… (Isn’t every issue a “fashion” issue by default)????:
The Big Short
Icons by Mario Sorrenti
Cate Crusader by Steven Chee
All Things Bright And Beautiful by Erik Madigan Heck
West Side Story by Sylvé Colless
The Refresh by Max Doyle

They’re all perfectly… forgettable. Icons is just the US’s coverstory— although not sure if there are extra shots included. Erik’s fairy tale princess shoot might invoke some interest for those that are into that brand of saccharine, fairy tale princess imagery (...Benn?). And Sylvé’s cowboys shoot looks like the rejected spreads for Dior’s S/S 18 campaign. There’s never a statement in any of these stories, just safe, polite catalogue mood: like walking through a department store and seeing their new season’s signage.

Wow… this is so sadly accurate… LOL

Harper’s Bazaar in general— no matter the country, is such a non-player these days. If it folded today, no one would miss it.

The 6 fashion stories for “THE FASHION ISSUE”… (Isn’t every issue a “fashion” issue by default)????:
The Big Short
Icons by Mario Sorrenti
Cate Crusader by Steven Chee
All Things Bright And Beautiful by Erik Madigan Heck
West Side Story by Sylvé Colless
The Refresh by Max Doyle

They’re all perfectly… forgettable. Icons is just the US’s coverstory— although not sure if there are extra shots included. Erik’s fairy tale princess shoot might invoke some interest for those that are into that brand of saccharine, fairy tale princess imagery (...Benn?). And Sylvé’s cowboys shoot looks like the rejected spreads for Dior’s S/S 18 campaign. There’s never a statement in any of these stories, just safe, polite catalogue mood: like walking through a department store and seeing their new season’s signage.

Firstly, thanks for the review! Never thought I'd find you in a HB thread, maybe you're a closet fan? Stranger things have happened. Secondly, lol, I think Erik makes an excellent case for more fantasy in fashion (something which is notably lacking, actually.) There's some narrative to his work, a lot of creativity too. Works on my t*ts when people say his images look like something created for Disney. A tremendous part of the aesthetic and success of British Harper's Bazaar rest on his shoulders. And that, right there, is hall of fame kind of territory. As impacting and distinct as the Tilberis era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->