Harper's Bazaar Australia March 2010 : Kate Hudson by Peter Lindbergh

Discussion in 'Vintage Magazines' started by tarsha, Jan 31, 2010.

1. tarsha

tarsha Active Member

[​IMG]

Magshop.com.au

#1 tarsha, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Jan 31, 2010
  2. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Wasn't expecting that shot of Kate to get reprinted. Especially on a cover.
    Somehow it works though. Two images on a cover is certainly something different.
    The text overload almost looks as if the cover has been watermarked, by a website.

3. tarsha

tarsha Active Member

It immediately reminded some of the UK Elle covers with the same concept. I quite like it.

4. _rumc_

_rumc_ New Member

Well, looks better than some of their previous covers.

5. isa.b.elle.

isa.b.elle. Active Member

^same thought.

6. ALAUU

ALAUU New Member

i love kate hudson, she just looks like so much fun. like she's always having the best time. that dress looks like a ripped up garbage bag though :D

7. IAmLordZen

It's interesting to juxtapose two Kates together on the cover. But still, I find it very bland (maybe because it's a reprint, which is expected) and as boring as ever. Somehow, Australian magazines seem to have this, uhm, commonality... :innocent:

8. tanii94

tanii94 Active Member

No, no, no, no, no.

9. MON

MON Well-Known Member

I like it! Don't know why

10. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I like this, it's something different, the only thing I don't like is what they've done with the writing in the lower third of the cover. If you're going to have a shot of someone moving, don't tie up their feet with text. Don't make it heavy with words, make them flow in some way around the body, lightly touching - not obliterating. It's perfectly fine in the middle, it's just when you get to the feet, they're stuck in a cage of words.

11. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

The only thing worse than Kate Hudson on the cover is TWO Kate Hudsons on the cover. Besides wasn't most of her Bazaar interview about A-Rod? Are they just gonna edit that out or do a new interview? not that I care for another vapid profile on her.

12. birdyandme

birdyandme Active Member

I admit I groaned when I saw Kate Hudson's name. As much as I love her i'm just sick to death of the same shots being reprinted over and over.
    But I have to say I love this cover. It's really different for Aus Bazaar!
    Wonder what the subscribers have?
    Need to check my letterbox!

13. Cicciolina

Cicciolina New Member

I like the cover! I'm not sure if it's because I'm being easier on Harper's Bazaar than most other magazines, since their covers are usually reprints and never anything really great, but I feel this is a positive move for them.

14. VogueGirl8910

VogueGirl8910 Well-Known Member

I don't like the cover.

15. birdyandme

birdyandme Active Member

I got an email today saying subscribers will be receiving their copies later than usual.
    So hopefully it won't be too long, and I'll scan the sub cover.
    That is, if someone else doesn't receive theirs first.
    I'm curious to know if it's a completely different image or just a similar one without text.

16. *Bianca*

*Bianca* Active Member

It comes with a collections supplement.

17. peachescream

peachescream New Member

^ you can opt into the collections supplement for $11.95 instead of $7.95 i think (why wouldn't you?)

birdyandme : the image is the first of the two kate pictures, in black and white (and larger, centre of the cover), with pale pink text behind saying 'rockstar' 'new season' repeatedly and then 'kate' in large black type over her legs... i personally prefer the newstand cover.

the issue is not great, for a 'supersize' bumper issue its filled with reprints - pretty much the entirety of Harpers UK's scarlet johansen issue is reprinted in this, including scarlet's editorial which i thought they would save for a cover, plus kate's editorial and interview reprinted in its entirety, plus another editorial from harpers uk february....

there are some great moments - michelle jank styled an editorial that was all pretty pieces and loads of jewelry and there was one particularly stunning shot of isabel lucas in jasmine de milo styled by christine centenera.

but the shopping pages were so staid and uninspiring, spaced out between pages of ads that stop the flow of the ideas and nothing was quite developed enough to be engaging. everything was very short, short little articles, small and unassuming layouts and so much that i started reading and then went 'huh, i've read this before', even little 1 page articles were lifted straight from other publications... it's a big book, 386 pages, but there's very little to show for it, let me tell you.

review

'hanging with ms hudson' - shot by peter lindbergh, styled by rachel zoe. reprint from harpers us february 2010

'the naked truth' - shot by harold david. styled by michelle jank. model annabelle barber. 10 pages.

'isabel' - shot by simon lekias. styled by christine centenera. model isabel lucas. article by eugenie kelly, mostly about her activism, nothing new (except that she's friends with gerard butler who is really into indian mysticism and deepak chopra, who knew?). 10 pages.

'the good sport' - shot by chris searl. styled by mark vassallo. model louise van de vorst. 8 pages.

'single minded' - article about tom ford and his directorial debut by johannes bonke and sven schumann. reprint. 4 pages.

'desert romance' - shot by tierney gearon, styled by sophia neophitou-apostolou. reprint harpers uk feb 2010.

'bare minimum' - shot by georges antoni, styled by marina afonina. model rosemary smith.

'scarlet' - shot by alexa lubomirski. styled by vanessa coyle. article by sheryl garratt. reprint harpers uk january 2010.

'21st century heroines' - shot by trent mcginn. featuring queen rania of jordan, natalia vodianova, zainab salbi and lisa maccallum. reprint harpers uk january 2010.

also featured a 1 page preview of next month's bazaar. 'A fashion wonderland', showing the shoot with teresa palmer in fantastic fashion against the backdrop of fireworks shot during new years eve. it looks good!

18. birdyandme

birdyandme Active Member

^ Thanks Peaches. I love that they included a preview of next month. The Teresa Palmer 'Alice' shot looks so promising!

Have scanned the sub cover and will also scan Isobel Lucas' editorial because it's gorgeous.

[​IMG]
    Scanned by Me

19. MON

MON Well-Known Member

i love the subscriber's cover :wub: lovely!

20. birdyandme

birdyandme Active Member

Isabel
    Photographer: Simon Lekias
    Stylist: Christine Centenera
    Model: Isabel Lucas

[​IMG]

More:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Scanned by Me