Harvey Weinstein Accused of Sexual Assault *Update* Sentenced to 23 Years Imprisonment

t-rex

everything sucks!
Reaction score
This subject deserves its own thread, with actresses every day coming out and saying they were on the receiving end of his behavior.

Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and
Others Say Weinstein Harassed Them

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/us/gwyneth-paltrow-angelina-jolie-harvey-weinstein.html

Another lengthy article with new accusations from actresses
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...harvey-weinsteins-accusers-tell-their-stories

Audio of Weinstein demanding a model watch him shower http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/10/harve...model-watch-him-shower-sting-operation-audio/ because who doesn't want to see him shower

That audio is just so sad and disturbing. I am so grateful that Rose McGowan is encouraging people to come forward.

I have no words for Donna Karan. Her statement on the matter disgusts me.

This was such an open secret in both New York and LA, it's sad but funny to see so many people claim they had no idea. Very many actors and actresses worked with him knowing full well he was a creep, but that he would advance their careers and get them awards. Credit to those who finally spoke out.

Cara Delevigne has come forward with her experience as well. So disgusting

When I first started to work as an actress, i was working on a film and I received a call from‎ Harvey Weinstein asking if I had slept with any of the women I was seen out with in the media. It was a very odd and uncomfortable call....i answered none of his questions and hurried off the phone but before I hung up, he said to me that If I was gay or decided to be with a woman especially in public that I'd never get the role of a straight woman or make it as an actress in Hollywood. A year or two later, I went to a meeting with him in the lobby of a hotel with a director about an upcoming film. The director left the meeting and Harvey asked me to stay and chat with him. As soon as we were alone he began to brag about all the actresses he had slept with and how he had made their careers and spoke about other inappropriate things of a sexual nature. He then invited me to his room. I quickly declined and asked his assistant if my car was outside. She said it wasn't and wouldn't be for a bit and I should go to his room. At that moment I felt very powerless and scared but didn't want to act that way hoping that I was wrong about the situation. When I arrived I was relieved to find another woman in his room and thought immediately I was safe. He asked us to kiss and she began some sort of advances upon his direction. I swiftly got up and asked him if he knew that I could sing. And I began to sing....i thought it would make the situation better....more professional....like an audition....i was so nervous. After singing I said again that I had to leave. He walked me to the door and stood in front of it and tried to kiss me on the lips. I stopped him and managed to get out of the room. I still got the part for the film and always thought that he gave it to me because of what happened. Since then I felt awful that I did the movie. I felt like I didn't deserve the part. I was so hesitant about speaking out....I didn't want to hurt his family. I felt guilty as if I did something wrong. I was also terrified that this sort of thing had happened to so many women I know but no one had said anything because of fear.

Kate Beckinsale
I was called to meet Harvey Weinstein at the Savoy Hotel when I was 17. I assumed it would be in a conference room which was very common.When I arrived ,reception told me to go to his room . He opened the door in his bathrobe . I was incredibly naive and young and it did not cross my mind that this older ,unattractive man would expect me to have any sexual interest in him .After declining alcohol and announcing that I had school in the morning I left ,uneasy but unscathed.A few years later he asked me if he had tried anything with me in that first meeting .I realized he couldn't remember if he had assaulted me or not .I had what I thought were boundaries - I said no to him professionally many times over the years-some of which ended up with him screaming at me calling me a **** and making threats, some of which made him laughingly tell people oh "Kate lives to say no to me ." It speaks to the status quo in this business that I was aware that standing up for myself and saying no to things,while it did allow me to feel uncompromised in myself,undoubtedly harmed my career and was never something I felt supported by anyone other than my family.I would like to applaud the women who have come forward , and to pledge that we can from this create a new paradigm where producers,managers,executives and assistants and everyone who has in the past shrugged and said " well, that's just Harvey /Mr X/insert name here " will realize that we in numbers can affect real change.For every moment like this there have been thousands where a vulnerable person has confided outrageous unprofessional behavior and found they have no recourse, due to an atmosphere of fear that it seems almost everyone has been living in .I had a male friend who, based on my experience,warned a young actress who said she was going to dinner with Harvey to be careful. He received a phone call the next day saying he would never work in another Miramax film ;the girl was already sleeping with Harvey and had told him that my friend had warned her off.Let's stop allowing our young women to be sexual cannon fodder,and let's remember that Harvey is an emblem of a system that is sick,and that we have work to do.
instagram Kate Beckinsale

It's digusting!!!

+ Léa Seydoux

I meet men like Harvey Weinstein all the time. I have starred in many films over the last 10 years and have been lucky enough to win awards at festivals like Cannes. Cinema is my life. And I know all of the ways in which the film industry treats women with contempt.

When I first met Harvey Weinstein, it didn’t take me long to figure him out. We were at a fashion show. He was charming, funny, smart – but very domineering. He wanted to meet me for drinks and insisted we had to make an appointment that very night. This was never going to be about work. He had other intentions – I could see that very clearly.

We met in the lobby of his hotel. His assistant, a young woman, was there. All throughout the evening, he flirted and stared at me as if I was a piece of meat. He acted as if he were considering me for a role. But I knew that was bullsh*t. I knew it, because I could see it in his eyes. He had a lecherous look. He was using his power to get sex.

He invited me to come to his hotel room for a drink. We went up together. It was hard to say no because he’s so powerful. All the girls are scared of him. Soon, his assistant left and it was just the two of us. That’s the moment where he started losing control.

We were talking on the sofa when he suddenly jumped on me and tried to kiss me. I had to defend myself. He’s big and fat, so I had to be forceful to resist him. I left his room, thoroughly disgusted. I wasn’t afraid of him, though. Because I knew what kind of man he was all along.

Since that night in his hotel room, I’ve seen him on many other occasions. We are in the same industry, so it’s impossible to avoid him. I’ve seen how he operates: the way he looks for an opening. The way he tests women to see what he can get away with.

He also doesn’t take no for an answer. I once went with him to a restaurant and when he couldn’t get a table he got angry and said: “Do you know who I am? I am Harvey Weinstein.” That’s the kind of man he is.

I’ve been at dinners with him where he’s bragged openly about Hollywood actresses he has had sex with. He’s also said misogynistic things to me over the years. “You’d be better if you lost weight,” he said. That comment shocked me.

One night, I saw him in London for the Baftas. He was hitting on a young woman. Another time, at the Met Life ball, I saw him trying to convince a young woman to sleep with him. Everyone could see what he was doing.

That’s the most disgusting thing. Everyone knew what Harvey was up to and no one did anything. It’s unbelievable that he’s been able to act like this for decades and still keep his career. That’s only possible because he has a huge amount of power.

In this industry, there are directors who abuse their position. They are very influential, that’s how they can do that. With Harvey, it was physical. With others, it’s just words. Sometimes, it feels like you have to be very strong to be a woman in the film industry. It’s very common to encounter these kinds of men.

The first time a director made an inappropriate comment to me, I was in my mid-20s. He was a director I really liked and respected. We were alone and he said to me: “I wish I could have sex with you, I wish I could **** you.”

He said it in a way that was half joking and half serious. I was very angry. I was trying to do my job and he made me very uncomfortable. He has slept with all of the actresses he filmed.

Another director I worked with would film very long sex scenes that lasted days. He kept watching us, replaying the scenes over and over again in a kind of stupor. It was very gross.

Yet another director tried to kiss me. Like Weinstein, I had to physically push him away, too. He acted like a crazy man, deranged by the fact that I didn’t want to have sex with him.

If you’re a woman working in the film industry, you have to fight because it is a very misogynistic world. Why else are salaries so unequal? Why do men earn more than women? There is no reason for it to be that way.

Hollywood is incredibly demanding on women. Think about the beauty diktats. All of the actresses have botox at 30. They have to be perfect. This is an image of women that is bizarre – and one that ends up controlling women.

This industry is based on desirable actresses. You have to be desirable and loved. But not all desires have to be fulfilled, even though men in the industry have an expectation that theirs should be. I think – and hope – that we might finally see a change. Only truth and justice can bring us forward.
via theguardian.com

This whole thing just opened an can of worms really. I was looking at a video of Ben Affleck yesterday and ew.. gross man.. and the worst part is that you don't just question men but, the entire culture of power and celebrity we are all responsible for that automatically enables anyone in the center of it to behave in ways that makes it seem somehow acceptable to walk completely over the integrity of others, and for those around it to automatically bow down. We all have a level of responsibility to speak up in some capacity and resist. I mean, that woman sitting on his lap.. wtf are you thinking? are you at least remotely functional to verbally set a limit on someone or is it yes to all because a camera is watching and I have a job to keep and it's fcking Ben Affleck?, smh.

Also, Rose McGowan's twitter was suspended.. nice move, Twitter. :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is disgusting indeed, and I hope many men in Hollywood are sh*tting their pants right now. I do hope it's a can of worms and many more women will be coming forward until each and everybody who deserves it is exposed.

But it's not gonna happen.
I'm not in the film or fashion world, but I know quite a few things about the art scene. I know of quite a few artists who behave in a way Weinstein would have approved of, abusing their power status and trying to make students/younger artists sleep with them for job opportunities. One of them is a famous fashion photographer, and I'm not talking about notorious Terry.

Another one is an up-and-coming artist, maybe not very well known to the general public yet, but a shooting star in the business. He harassed and threatened to r*pe several friends of mine. I wouldn't be surprised if he had actually raped some as well, but that's nothing I know of first hand. It's a badly kept secret, similar to Weinstein's. But nobody is doing anything about it.
I tried to leak the story to a well-known newspaper once through a friend of mine. They debated printing it, but none of the women wanted to come forward and talk about their experiences, not even anonymously, because they were so (physically) afraid of the guy. Also, they didn't think anybody was going to believe them. The newspaper said they couldn't print a story based on second-hand claims, not even based on the claim of one woman, it needed to be more for them to not destroy their reputation. Also, they told me they thought it was a case for the police, not for a magazine.

I don't know what else to do. I don't think there's a way until the women speak out, and I understand why they don't and won't.
So even though yes, people like Ben Affleck or Angelina Jolie would have had more and better means to come forward with a story like this, I wouldn't stress the 'everybody knew about it' part too much. It's the very definition of power structure playing out here. Of course everybody knew. And of course everybody was afraid (maybe for shallow reasons, but still) to do anything about it, because that's the premise of Weinstein's behavior in the first place.

why is vogue so silent on this? oh wait:

"Her (Anna Wintour) inner circle is tight-knit, their devotion cemented by an almost canine sense of loyalty on Wintour’s part. “I’m a streak player, but Anna’s there, good or bad,” says Harvey Weinstein, co-chair of the Weinstein Company, who goes back some 15 years with Wintour. “When I wasn’t doing so well, Anna would throw a party and put me next to Bernard Arnault.” Out of that came several business deals, says Weinstein (he declines to be more specific). Weinstein returned the favor by stepping in to help Wintour produce a Bruce Springsteen/Billy Joel benefit concert for then-Senator Barack Obama before the 2008 election."

It is disgusting indeed, and I hope many men in Hollywood are sh*tting their pants right now. I do hope it's a can of worms and many more women will be coming forward until each and everybody who deserves it is exposed.

But it's not gonna happen.
I'm not in the film or fashion world, but I know quite a few things about the art scene. I know of quite a few artists who behave in a way Weinstein would have approved of, abusing their power status and trying to make students/younger artists sleep with them for job opportunities. One of them is a famous fashion photographer, and I'm not talking about notorious Terry.

Another one is an up-and-coming artist, maybe not very well known to the general public yet, but a shooting star in the business. He harassed and threatened to r*pe several friends of mine. I wouldn't be surprised if he had actually raped some as well, but that's nothing I know of first hand. It's a badly kept secret, similar to Weinstein's. But nobody is doing anything about it.
I tried to leak the story to a well-known newspaper once through a friend of mine. They debated printing it, but none of the women wanted to come forward and talk about their experiences, not even anonymously, because they were so (physically) afraid of the guy. Also, they didn't think anybody was going to believe them. The newspaper said they couldn't print a story based on second-hand claims, not even based on the claim of one woman, it needed to be more for them to not destroy their reputation. Also, they told me they thought it was a case for the police, not for a magazine.

I don't know what else to do. I don't think there's a way until the women speak out, and I understand why they don't and won't.
So even though yes, people like Ben Affleck or Angelina Jolie would have had more and better means to come forward with a story like this, I wouldn't stress the 'everybody knew about it' part too much. It's the very definition of power structure playing out here. Of course everybody knew. And of course everybody was afraid (maybe for shallow reasons, but still) to do anything about it, because that's the premise of Weinstein's behavior in the first place.

+1 nothing will change and a can of worms has not been opened. You can see that from the way so many have told their Weinstein stories and followed them with 'another producer did this to me..' No one is naming any names and likely never will.

Days later and I'm still shocked. If all his victims were virtual unknowns, I could rationalise and digest it better perhaps. Problematic in itself, I know. It would've just been another Phil Spector mess (not to minimise lesser known victims). But it seems if you were female and under 40, you were basically fair game for him. No amount of 'serious actor' cred, or awards, or family status could save you. Young Gwyneth was more snobbier than she is now, had a hot boyfriend, and came from money, Angelina was a rebel, Cara IS a ballsy rebel, both also from very esteemed families.....none of that stopped him. God, how much power did this guy have?? So I'm sorry to witchunt, but I don't believe Jennifer Lawrence and Blake Lively when they say 'they didn't know', or woke Zendaya who is normally quick to chime in, drag her heels with a disingenuous response written by a PR upstart. Or worse of all, Michelle Williams who was such a huge benefactor of his support, yet her lips are sealed. I'm not expecting a comment from every woman in HW, just the ones he had close contact with.

As for the men, it's just dissapointing all round. I don't know why people are so pertubed by losers like Oliver Stone, Tarantino,or Ben Affleck. These are sleazebags. Ben, if I recall, was once filmed disgustingly groping an interviewer ON TAPE. He survived it.

There have to be more like HW, speak up! But don't think that's going to happen. A big mess. If only women were physically just as strong as men.

This was already posted in the Designer thread but relevant here.

Donna Karan Defends Friend Harvey Weinstein, Suggests Women May Be Asking for It By the Way They Dress

While many Hollywood figures have spoken out against Harvey Weinstein, Donna Karan is defending the movie mogul amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

When asked to address the allegations leveled against Weinstein, 65, according to the Daily Mail, the designer, 69, said women may be asking for it.

You look at everything all over the world today and how women are dressing and what they are asking by just presenting themselves the way they do. What are they asking for? Trouble, Karan said at the CineFashion Film Awards in Los Angeles on Sunday.

Late Monday, the designer said in a statement to PEOPLE that her comments had been taken out of context and she was truly sorry to anyone she offended.

Initially during the red carpet interview with the Daily Mail, the designer talked about injustice women faced around the world before defending her movie mogul friend.

I think we have to look at ourselves. Obviously, the treatment of women all over the world is something that has always had to be identified, she told the reporter. Certainly in the country of Haiti where I work, in Africa, in the developing world, it's been a hard time for women.

To see it here in our own country is very difficult, but I also think how do we display ourselves? How do we present ourselves as women? What are we asking? Are we asking for it by presenting all the sensuality and all the sexuality?

And what are we throwing out to our children today about how to dance and how to perform and what to wear? How much should they show?

Karan, who is friends with Weinstein's wife and Marchesa co-founder Georgina Chapman, also said, Harvey has done some amazing things, adding Weinstein and Chapman are wonderful people.

When asked if Weinstein was busted following The New York Time expose, Karan reportedly responded, I don't think it's only Harvey Weinstein.

With her comments sparking outrage on Monday night, the DKNY later spoke out saying she did not mean to offend.

Last night, I was honored at the Cinemoi Fashion Film Awards in Hollywood and while answering a question on the red carpet I made a statement that unfortunately is not representative of how I feel or what I believe, she said in a statement. I have spent my life championing women. My life has been dedicated to dressing and addressing the needs of women, empowering them and promoting equal rights.

My statements were taken out of context and do not represent how I feel about the current situation concerning Harvey Weinstein. I believe that sexual harassment is NOT acceptable and this is an issue that MUST be addressed once and for all regardless of the individual.

I am truly sorry to anyone that I offended and everyone that has ever been a victim.

One of those who was offended by her comments was Rose McGowan, who reportedly reached a settlement with Weinstein after an alleged inappropriate incident.

McGowan who previously branded Weinstein a monster was shocked at Karans comments.

Donna Karan you are a DEPLORABLE Aiding and abetting is a moral crime. You are scum in a fancy dress, McGowan tweeted.

While celebrity chef and CNN star Anthony Bourdain also came out against Karan's comments.

To @dkny How many seventeen year olds have you dressed like they are, in your words, asking for it? Bourdain also shared, along with a DKNY ad.

The Weinstein scandal comes after the NYT reported Thursday that eight women, including actress Ashley Judd, came forward to accuse the film mogul of sexual misconduct. Following the allegations, the Oscar-winning film producer was removed from his powerhouse film studio The Weinstein Company.

I appreciate the way I've behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it. Though I'm trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go, Weinstein said, adding that he was working with therapists and planned to take time off to deal with this issue head-on.

According to the NYT, Weinstein has reached at least eight settlements with women, including McGowan. In their claims, they allege that Weinstein behaved inappropriately during work meetings.
people.com

Also reposting this here as well:
Cameron Russell is posting stories of various models that have been abused by people in power like Harvey Weinstein on her instagram.
Hearing about #harveyweinstein this week has sparked conversations about how widespread and how familiar his behavior is.
We talked about how hard it is to share stories of assault. When they are the norm, calling them out can feel disruptive and unprofessional. On many occasions I've been called a feminist for reporting unwanted groping, spanking, pinching, pressure for dates, phone calls and texts of a sexual nature, lack of appropriate changing areas, etc. And because the response has always been "are you surprised?" or "that's part of the job" I tolerated them. When the offenses were bigger, calling them out is terrifying, and demands a level of exposure and backlash to what is already painful and sometimes shameful.
#MyJobShouldNotIncludeAbuse

A whole bunch more on her instagram.

Fashion Breaks Its Silence on Harvey Weinstein Scandal
By VANESSA FRIEDMAN, JACOB BERNSTEIN and MATTHEW SCHNEIEROCT. 13, 2017

In the days since The New York Times broke the story of allegations of decades of harassment and assault by Harvey Weinstein, torrents of heart-wrenching stories have poured forth from at least 30 women who say they were victimized by Mr. Weinstein. So have unstinting condemnations from many who worked with Mr. Weinstein or benefited from their relationship with him, both in film and in Democratic political circles.

“Behavior like this is appalling and unacceptable,” said Anna Wintour, the artistic director of Condé Nast, breaking her silence on the issue. “I feel horrible about what these women have experienced and admire their bravery in coming forward. My heart goes out to them, as well as to Georgina and the children. We all have a role to play in creating safe environments where everyone can be free to work without fear.”

Ms. Wintour has put stars of Mr. Weinstein’s films on more than a dozen of her Vogue covers over the years; prominently featured Marchesa, the label co-founded by his wife, Georgina Chapman, in her magazine; and hosted political fund-raisers with him. Her words make all the more stark the realization that from fashion, the third pillar of Mr. Weinstein’s power base, an industry in which he made major investments going back more than 15 years, and with which he hoped to burnish his empire, the overwhelming response has been a ringing silence.

“I’ve been struck by it,” Steven Kolb, the chief executive of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, said on Tuesday. After all, many fashion stakeholders spoke out vociferously earlier this year against President Trump’s policies on women’s rights.

But aside from Donna Karan, who gave statements that first defended and then criticized Mr. Weinstein, few designers have ventured as much. Nor have any of the major retailers who sell Marchesa spoken up, not even to offer support to Ms. Chapman, who has announced she is separating from her husband. (Ms. Chapman was not available for comment for this story.)

In a statement on Tuesday, Mr. Weinstein’s spokeswoman, Sallie Hofmeister, said: “Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein. Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances.”

For his part, Mr. Weinstein acknowledged, in a larger statement to The New York Post, that his actions could have a negative impact on Ms. Chapman’s company. Marchesa’s public profile depended largely on its connection to Hollywood — the label does not advertise — and, fair or not, Ms. Chapman and her line are now swept up in this unfolding story.

The refrain from major department stores in response to requests for comment? “We just don’t want to be part of this story.”

But that is unavoidable. Fashion is already deeply involved.

Not just because on Tuesday a petition was begun by Care2 asking Nordstrom to drop the Donna Karan and DKNY lines in response to Ms. Karan’s comments (though she herself is no longer involved with either label).

And not just because fashion has its own history with sexual harassment and the poor treatment of young women, including increasingly documented abuses of models and the many claims against the photographer Terry Richardson (who, after some time away, is still working in the industry).

Mr. Weinstein, more than perhaps any film executive of the modern era, seemed to understand the role fashion could play as he built an upmarket brand in which box office performance was important, but so were glitter and good reviews.

He introduced “Project Runway.” Along with the shoe designer Tamara Mellon he was instrumental in the revival of Halston, for which he corralled Sarah Jessica Parker, the celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe (who often dressed her clients in Marchesa) and the private equity firm Hilco as partners. He licensed the option to revive the Charles James brand the same year the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art featured a Charles James exhibition.

When actresses from his films campaigned for Oscars, there and elsewhere, guess whose dresses they often wore?

“We all knew celebrities were asked to wear Marchesa if they were in a Weinstein movie,” said the co-owner of a fashion communications company who asked not to be identified. “They were supposed to wear it at least once. We all knew that cycle.”

Going all the way back to his days at Miramax, the first of two studios Mr. Weinstein co-founded, he put out fashion-themed films.

In 1994, Mr. Weinstein released Robert Altman’s “Prêt-à-Porter.” In 2009, he acquired the North American distribution rights for “A Single Man,” the designer Tom Ford’s debut film. In 2011, he acquired Madonna’s “W.E.,” a period drama about Wallis Simpson in which the gowns were almost the only thing that got good notices.

Mr. Ford would never have held up Mr. Weinstein as the poster boy for how to treat women.

Still, Mr. Ford said Thursday, it was a far cry from what was revealed over the last week and a half, through two exposés in The New York Times outlining allegations of a pattern of sexual harassment and assault and a third from The New Yorker detailing accusations of r*pe.

“What Harvey has done is shocking, indefensible and disturbing on many levels,” Mr. Ford said. “I knew that Harvey certainly liked beautiful young women.” But, he added: “I had no idea of his predatory and abusive behavior or that he had paid settlements to anyone.” Mr. Ford noted that since he himself is a gay man, Mr. Weinstein’s “sex life would certainly not have been something that he would have felt the need to share with me.”

Ms. Parker collaborated with Mr. Weinstein at Halston. “Over the last two decades, through various projects, I’ve always maintained a relationship with him that I was, for the most part, comfortable with,” she said. “Now I feel he is a stranger, that I didn’t know him at all. And desperately sad to hear how so many women have suffered.”

And Ms. Mellon, referring to sexual predation, concurred: “I never saw anything like that. That behavior usually happens when no else is watching and in private. If I had seen it, I would have stopped it. I only ever witnessed raging and threats, but that was toward me and I pushed back when he did that.”

Mr. Weinstein’s increased presence on the fashion circuit seemed to coincide with his shrinking presence in the film world. Optics had always been essential to his prestige brand, so it made a certain amount of sense that he relied upon an industry the sells illusions to help maintain his myth. The razzle-dazzle of Harvey and his wife on red carpets all over the world was a good distraction when fewer awards were coming his way.

“Project Runway” helped, too. It made stars out of the designer Michael Kors, the model Heidi Klum and the editor Nina Garcia. Lauren Zalaznick, then the head of the Bravo network, where the show debuted, said: “On the surface, of course, it was a logical extension into TV. But what it really did was help build a firmer network within the fashion and publishing industries. It lent even more proximity to the power of relationships with designers, editors and models, and the scepter of magazine covers, more and different awards, political and socially minded fund-raisers, and the attendant money, glamour and even more power that comes along with that territory.”

A spinoff, “Project Runway All Stars,” which debuted in 2012, features Ms. Chapman as a judge; the next season has already been filmed.

Mr. Weinstein was a key fund-raiser for amfAR, whose gala during the Cannes Film Festival is the most fashion-centric event on the movie festival circuit. Ms. Klum was honored by the organization in 2013.

LVMH, the French luxury conglomerate, has a 1 percent stake in the Weinstein Company. In 2007, Mr. Weinstein wrote the profile of Mr. Arnault for the Time 100 most influential people list. In 2011, he told The Wall Street Journal, “When I wasn’t doing so well, Anna would give a party and put me next to Bernard Arnault.”

A person familiar with LVMH said the two men barely knew each other.

Mr. Weinstein was also a regular at the Met Gala, which has been co-chaired by Ms. Wintour since 1999, and at the Council of Fashion Designers of America awards. (In 2016, there were plans for the Weinstein Company to produce a television special on the CFDA awards, but it fell through, Mr. Kolb said, when they realized that the event was not paced for television.) Mr. Weinstein appeared in front rows, including those of Marchesa, Dior, Louis Vuitton and Burberry.

It was at a fashion show that the actress Léa Seydoux met Mr. Weinstein, she wrote in The Guardian. He then requested a private meeting with her, she said, which quickly turned inappropriate. (She also wrote about watching him pursue another woman at the Met Gala.) The model turned actress Cara Delevingne recently accused Mr. Weinstein of pursuing her and repeating to her details of her personal life as reported in the tabloids.

Trish Goff, a model who was a regular in the pages of Vogue and appeared in campaigns for Chanel and Dior, said she met Mr. Weinstein at a cocktail party at Ms. Wintour’s house in 2003 when she was 25. “He came in and someone said, ‘Oh, there’s Harvey Weinstein,’ so I turned to look at him, and he was looking at me,” she said. Shortly thereafter her agent got a call from his office inviting her to lunch.

She recalled: “This was at a time in my career when I was starting to think about what’s next. I was nervous about it, because he had a reputation, but I was equally nervous about not going because I was a single mother, and what if he made it so I didn’t work anymore? So I said, ‘O.K., tell him I’ll have lunch.’”

They ended up at the Tribeca Grill. “When I arrived, I discovered we were seated in a private room,” she said. “I asked him why he had wanted to have lunch, and he said ‘You were looking at me’ — as if to imply I was interested. I said, ‘Yes, I was looking at you because you are Harvey Weinstein, and I had never seen you before.’

“Then he started asking me if I had a boyfriend, and if we had an open relationship. I said I wasn’t interested in an open relationship, but he was relentless, and I kept trying to shut that down and move on. Then he started putting his hands on my legs, and I said, ‘Can you stop doing that?’ When we finally stood up to go, he really started groping me, grabbing my breasts, grabbing my face and trying to kiss me. I kept saying, ‘Please stop, please stop, but he didn’t until I managed to get back into the public space.

“The horrible thing is, as a model, it wasn’t that unusual to be in a weird situation where a photographer or someone feels they have a right to your body.”

Ms. Hofmeister, Mr. Weinstein’s spokeswoman, said he could not be reached for comment on Ms. Goff’s allegations and directed a reporter to a previous statement denying allegations of nonconsensual sex.

Now Marchesa has become yet another symbol of Mr. Weinstein’s abuse of power, a brand he helped mastermind and support. There is now a #boycottmarchesa hashtag on Twitter. Helzberg Diamonds, which held the license for Marchesa’s bridal jewelry, announced it had delayed the planned line.

“The relationship helped the business tremendously,” said Stellene Volandes, the editor of Town & Country. “Marchesa had such great success on the red carpet and became known for that.” (Ms. Chapman appeared on the cover of the magazine in 2009.)

The label, which was founded in 2004 by Ms. Chapman and Keren Craig, first received real attention that same year, when Renée Zellweger, the star of the Miramax film “Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason,” appeared on the red carpet in a Marchesa dress. She was followed shortly thereafter by Cate Blanchett, who wore Marchesa to the Rome premiere of “The Aviator,” also produced by Miramax.

In recent years, Marchesa’s red-carpet magic has dimmed and its celebrity placements have lost a bit of their star power, yet the label’s princess-y dresses still found eager takers. In 2017, Octavia Spencer, who has appeared in movies produced by Mr. Weinstein, wore a custom Marchesa gown to the Academy Awards, when she was nominated for her role in “Hidden Figures.”

When stars did wear the label, there was often a connection to Mr. Weinstein. Jennifer Jason Leigh wore Marchesa to the Academy Awards in 2016, when she was a nominee for her role in “The Hateful Eight,” directed by Quentin Tarantino (and executive-produced by the Weinstein brothers).

But Hollywood stylists who work with such stars and fashion houses to find dresses for premieres, award shows and red carpet events, appear to be taking a wait-and-see approach on the label. Of a half-dozen top stylists who have used Marchesa, not one would comment on how the Weinstein revelations would have an impact on their use of Marchesa.

“There’s a mob mentality that has developed,” said Lauren Santo Domingo, a founder of Moda Operandi, an online fashion retailer, who said she was standing behind Marchesa. On Wednesday, the brand postponed a planned preview of its spring 2018 collection to an unspecified “later date.” The company is hunkering down, and could not be reached for comment.

“I think the issue is no one knows what to say to Georgina, or the words to use,” Mr. Kolb said. “But as a creative power and as a CFDA member, she is someone who deserves the industry’s support and backing.”

Indeed, said Julie Gilhart, a fashion consultant and the former fashion director of Barneys New York: “We are living in a time right now when we should try to find the words.”
source | nytimes

Harvey Weinstein Ousted From Motion Picture Academy

By BROOKS BARNESOCT. 14, 2017

LOS ANGELES — Hollywood’s de facto governing body, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, voted overwhelmingly on Saturday to “immediately expel” Harvey Weinstein, breaking with 90 years of precedent and turning one of the biggest Oscar players in history into a hall-of-fame pariah.

The academy’s 54-member board of governors made the decision at an emergency session after investigations by The New York Times and The New Yorker that revealed sexual harassment and r*pe allegations against him going back decades.

In a statement, the academy said the vote was “well in excess of the required two-thirds majority.”

It added, “We do so not simply to separate ourselves from someone who does not merit the respect of his colleagues but also to send a message that the era of willful ignorance and shameful complicity in sexually predatory behavior and workplace harassment in our industry is over. What’s at issue here is a deeply troubling problem that has no place in our society.”

The academy said it would “work to establish ethical standards of conduct that all academy members will be expected to exemplify.”

Mr. Weinstein, who was fired by the movie and television studio he co-founded, the Weinstein Company, has denied r*pe allegations while acknowledging that his behavior “caused a lot of pain.”

Although largely symbolic, the ouster of Mr. Weinstein from the roughly 8,400-member academy is stunning because the organization is not known to have taken such action before — not when Roman Polanski, a member, pleaded guilty in a sex crime case involving a 13-year-old girl; not when women came forward to accuse Bill Cosby, a member, of sexual assault; and not when Mel Gibson allegedly went on anti-Semitic tirade during a drunk driving arrest in 2006 or pleaded no contest to a charge of battery against an old girlfriend in 2011.

Now, the academy may be forced to contend with other problem members.

Scott Feinberg, the longtime awards columnist for The Hollywood Reporter, said, “This may well be the beginning of a very tough chapter for the academy. The next thing that is going to happen, rightly or wrongly, is that a wide variety of constituencies are going to demand that the academy similarly address other problematic members.”

Mr. Feinberg added that he was speaking of academy members like Mr. Polanski and Stephen Collins, the “7th Heaven” actor who admitted in 2014 that he molested teenage girls in past decades, which resulted in police investigations in New York and Los Angeles but no charges.

Before Mr. Weinstein — who built two studios on the back of the Academy Awards, securing more than 300 nominations for his movies — only one person was known to have been permanently expelled from the academy. Carmine Caridi, a character actor, had his membership revoked in 2004 for violating an academy rule involving Oscar voting. He got caught lending DVD screeners of contending films; copies ended up online. (In the 1990s, a couple of people were temporarily suspended for selling their allotted tickets to the Oscar ceremony.)

The academy’s board, roughly 40 percent female, includes Hollywood titans like Steven Spielberg, Whoopi Goldberg, the Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy, Tom Hanks, the documentarian Rory Kennedy and Jim Gianopulos, the chairman of Paramount Pictures.

In an example of Mr. Weinstein’s reach, at least 10 governors have worked on films that he produced or that his studios have released. One board member, Christina Kounelias, now an executive vice president at Participant Media, started her career at Miramax, working in publicity for four years.

The board’s president is Jim Bailey, a cinematographer whose credits include “Ordinary People,” a winner of the 1981 Academy Award for best picture, and “Groundhog Day.” Lois Burwell, who is listed as its first vice president, is a makeup artist who won an Oscar in 1996 for her work on “Braveheart.”

The meeting of the board was called on Wednesday. In the days leading up to it, as the industry was grappling with new public accusations against Mr. Weinstein published in The New Yorker, The Times and on social media, some board members spoke among themselves to see if they could reach an informal consensus on how a vote on the mogul’s status would go.

Ms. Kennedy, an eight-time Oscar nominee, told fellow board members that she was outraged by the allegations, according to a person briefed on advance discussions, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to comply with academy confidentiality strictures. But Ms. Kennedy was also said to be aware that pushing him out could put the academy on a slippery slope.

The Saturday meeting began at 10 a.m. It was held inside a colossal conference room on the seventh floor of the academy’s mirrored-glass tower on Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills.

In outlining duties for the board of governors, the academy’s bylaws say, “Any member of the academy may be suspended or expelled for cause by the board of governors. Expulsion or suspension as herein provided for shall require the affirmative vote of not less than two-thirds of all the governors.”

At a typical meeting, one board member said, some of the participants appear on video screens and others participate on speakerphone, since they are often scattered across the world. Those who do attend in person sit at a large oval table or else in a chairs closer to the wall during sessions when the room is crowded. There is a buffet area with pastries and coffee.

No person has been more closely associated with the Academy Awards in recent decades than Mr. Weinstein, who won a best picture Oscar in 1999 for “Shakespeare in Love” and who orchestrated campaigns that resulted in more than 80 statuettes for films released by the studios he ran, including five best picture Oscars for “Shakespeare in Love,” “The English Patient,” “Chicago,” “The King’s Speech” and “The Artist.”

The adulation afforded him power — so much power that many women feared reporting his alleged abuses — and gave him the credibility he was able use as a shield whenever rumors of his behavior started to swirl.

Starting in 1990, when he pushed a pair of foreign films, “My Left Foot” and “Cinema Paradiso,” to Oscar glory, Mr. Weinstein became famous for sharp-elbowed, ethics-be-damned campaign tactics. According to “Down and Dirty Pictures,” Peter Biskind’s 2004 book about the independent film movement spurred by Mr. Weinstein’s Miramax studio, he once courted voters at a movie industry nursing home.

Initially horrified, the Hollywood establishment soon copied his playbook, turning Oscar season into a free-for-all. But Mr. Weinstein remained the maestro, peaking at the 2003 Oscars, when he had a hand in four of the five films nominated for best picture. (Miramax’s “Chicago” was the winner.)

Mr. Weinstein was such a force that year that The Los Angeles Times nicknamed the ceremony “the Harveys.”

He alternately charmed and bullied the trade press and glossy magazines, and the lavish parties he threw on the night before the Oscars ceremony became a status destination in Hollywood. The most recent Weinstein Company bash, held in February at the Montage Beverly Hills hotel, included among its guests Lin-Manuel Miranda, Jay-Z and Beyoncé.

In total, Mr. Weinstein has overseen campaigns that resulted in five best-picture Oscars, for “Shakespeare in Love,” “The English Patient,” “Chicago,” “The King’s Speech” and “The Artist.”

His fall has come hard and fast. The first article to appear in The New York Times on women’s accusations against Mr. Weinstein was published on Oct. 5. While the authorities in New York and London are investigating Mr. Weinstein, no charges have been filed against him.

Pressure had been building on the academy to purge Mr. Weinstein. Earlier in the week, as actresses including Ashley Judd, Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow came forward with horrifying tales and the British Academy of Film and Television Arts kicked him out, the academy essentially punted, releasing a statement condemning Mr. Weinstein’s alleged behavior as “repugnant, abhorrent” and saying it would meet on Saturday to discuss “any actions warranted.”

While the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences worked to corral its vast board, members started to come forward to demand action. A Change.org petition demanding that the academy banish Mr. Weinstein gathered more than 160,000 signatures.

The emergency academy meeting took place after employees and several board members are fleeing the boutique movie studio Mr. Weinstein helped found as talk of bankruptcy swirled around it. On Friday, one person at the Weinstein Company, which has roughly 150 employees in New York and Los Angeles, described an operation in chaos, with phones going unanswered and some staff members in revolt.

Bob Weinstein, now scrambling to salvage the Weinstein Company, is facing mounting questions about what he knew about his brother’s behavior and why he did not intervene. In a Hollywood Reporter interview published Saturday, he said, “I find myself in a waking nightmare. My brother has caused unconscionable suffering. As a father of three girls I say this with every bone in my body — I am heartbroken for the women that he has harmed.”

The Producers Guild of America was also scheduled to meet on Saturday to discuss revoking Mr. Weinstein’s membership. Late Friday, the group abruptly moved the special meeting to Monday. Under that group’s bylaws, Mr. Weinstein will have two weeks to respond to any action. The same guild gave the Weinstein brothers its Milestone award in 2013, citing their “historic contributions to the entertainment industry.”

In a sign of the international nature of the condemnation of Mr. Weinstein, the French government on Saturday said it had started a process that could strip him of his Legion of Honor, the country’s highest civilian distinction. (He received it in 2012.) Earlier in the week, a government spokesman had said that France would wait for definitive legal action before considering such action.

The production studio has also felt pressure from people in the creative community whom it once championed, with the creative forces behind the musical “In the Heights,” Lin-Manuel Miranda and Quiara A. Hudes, publicly calling on the Weinstein Company to relinquish its movie adaptation rights.

The Oscar-nominated actor Benedict Cumberbatch, the star of “The Current War,” a Weinstein Company film that was supposed to be marketed as its main 2017 Oscar contender, said in a statement on Tuesday that he was “utterly disgusted” by Mr. Weinstein’s “horrifying and unforgivable actions.”

Apple has ended plans for a Weinstein-produced series about Elvis Presley, and Amazon announced on Friday that it would not move forward with a Weinstein-produced mafia series from the Academy Award-winning director David O. Russell that had previously received a two-season commitment and was to have been budgeted at an estimated $160 million.
source | nytimes

They all knew - they ALL knew - but it wasn't in their best interests to speak up until now. Certain people have done the hard work of speaking out, and now that the story has gained momentum, people have switched sides. They used to support him, but now they realise they have more to lose by continuing to support him.

It wouldn't surprise me if I soon started reading articles about how 'Ms Chapman' was as much a victim as everyone else that came within his orbit. Spare me. His money and influence were good until he became an embarrassment to her. She profited from her position as much as he did.

I think this is about them, Harvey and Georgina:

This fashionable woman has always known about her famous husband's bad behavior with women. She stayed with him anyhow.

Of course she knew. Everybody knew. She's not stupid. She is very ambitious, though. Years ago, her business had some problems and she wanted to be part of a power couple, and there was nobody more powerful than him. He promised her that with his contacts he could make [her business] more successful and he delivered on that promise.

The only time I know that she seriously thought about leaving him was when there was a big problem with one of the girls a few years ago (pregnancy?). He told her that the girl set him up and he would fix everything. She believed it and he did keep his promise, so she stayed.

I'm not convinced that she is even really divorcing him now. They can't afford to lose two companies, so I would not be surprised if they are trying to save hers by publicly distancing him from her right now.

Perhaps he promised her that he could fix this, too.
blindgossip.com
http://blindgossip.com/?p=87630

I think we're going to hear accusations against Weinstein for decades - when women write autobiographies/give interviews or their children reveal it.

I'm curious to hear from Michelle Williams, Blake Lively and Sienna Miller.

I think this is about them, Harvey and Georgina:

blindgossip.com
http://blindgossip.com/?p=87630

Yeah, I think so too :wink:

I'm not among the cynics on this ... I think this could really lead to change in the industry ... and it's about damn time. Men don't get away with this in the business world anymore, and it certainly shouldn't happen in Hollywood either.

And I can't wait to see Bill Cosby kicked out of the Academy ...

Harvey, just send the Legion of Honor back, jack.

I'm curious to hear from Michelle Williams, Blake Lively and Sienna Miller.

I don't know if this helps, but here one of them, Blake Lively is a popular guess (and it checks out if you ask me, she would be Blonde girl:(

Have you noticed that some women have taken an unusual approach to the Harvey Weinstein issue? An insider tells us that several of them are deflecting and some of them are outright lying!

Grace: This actress has fallen from grace but claims that Weinstein never touched her.

She is lying. She has been with him on more than one occasion trying to incentivize him to hire her. He took advantage of that but always claimed that the projects fell through or that there was a better one coming. He laughed about the fact that she was desperate enough to keep coming back.

Esteemed: This esteemed and awarded actress claims she knew nothing.

Her innocent act is bulls*t. She has known for years and years about his behavior. FFS, she even warned [her own daughter/s] about him! No reason to warn them if she really didn't know anything, right?

Politico: This famous politico immediately deflected any discussion of Weinstein toward a denouncement of Donald Trump.

She's lying about not knowing anything. She's known about Harvey's behavior for at least ten years, but he kept the money rolling in, so she shrugged it off. She's surrounded with these kinds of guys, so it's really not a big deal to her. She even used to gossip about which actresses he was doing it with! She will use every negative news event to take a slap at Trump. She can't help herself.

Blonde: This blonde actress has not mentioned Weinstein at all, but has talked about how someone else in the industry treated her in an unseemly manner.

She is actually one of the two or three biggest beneficiaries of meetings€ with Harvey over the years. She is very, very ambitious. Unless she gets some sort of subpoena, I think she'll protect him. She has to say something about harassment, though. That's why she's deflecting the discussion and making it about someone else. That way she can play victim but not implicate Harvey.
blindgossip.com
http://blindgossip.com/?p=87674

Courtney Love Warns Women About Harvey Weinstein In 2005 Video
“I’ll get libeled if I say it,” Love says before offering her tip to aspiring actresses.

By Sebastian Murdock

Actress Courtney Love, who was lead singer of grunge rock band Hole, warned aspiring actresses in 2005 to stay away from film producer Harvey Weinstein.

TMZ released the video Saturday showing an interview with Love at a red carpet event for the Comedy Central Roast of Pamela Anderson.

“Do you have any advice for a young girl moving to Hollywood?” an interviewer asks Love.

The singer pauses for a moment, saying, “I’ll get libeled if I say it,” before issuing a warning.

If Harvey Weinstein invites you to a private party in the Four Seasons, don’t go,” she quickly says.

Weinstein has recently been accused by more than a dozen women of sexual harassment and assault.

Love took to Twitter on Saturday to say she was “eternally banned” from talking about Weinstein by Creative Artists Agency, a talent and sports agency.

In a 2001 interview with the New York Daily News, Love joked that Weinstein wouldn’t have sex with her because she’s “not a shiksa,” a non-Jewish woman.

Source : The huffington post

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->