Has All Black Run Its Fashion Course?

ignitioned32

Mannikin
Reaction score
Has all black run its fashion course?

Suzy Menkes IHT.

From bold Pucci-esque prints to bright color, London's shows last week made a strong showing for the optimistic fashion that had already been on display in New York's fashion week.

So here's the question: Is it all over for all black?

The graphic, eye-popping mixes of black and white on so many runways prove that black is not entirely out of fashion. In fact, that negative/positive look was shown every which way in geometric blocks, stripes and squares to striking effect.
But after 20 years of monochrome and an entire generation brought up to believe that black is cool, the tables seem to be turning. To be radical in fashion is to embrace color.

With a touch of brightness or even full-blown butterfly wings of pattern and vivid hues, black has become the accent rather than the main focus. And this for the first time since Comme des Garcons and Yohji Yamamoto made funereal shrouds the epitome of cool in the 1980's.

The very idea that the front row at the international shows might be splattered with color and print - especially the Prada 1970's-meets-Art Nouveau revival prints on skirts and blouses - would have been unthinkable even two years ago. Yet it has come to pass. After bags and shoes were given a color make-over, now clothes are having their turn.

It would be ridiculous to claim that the reign of the Little Black Dress - introduced by Coco Chanel in the early 20th century - is over. That outfit remains as an emblem of chic. But black from head to toe does not look as cool as it once did.
The designers who closed London fashion week were an object lesson in the different ways to play the new fashion game.

Julien Macdonald is never going to be cool about color, because his aim is to show fashion that is hot. Too hot. For who but Emma Bunton (Baby Spice from the old Spice Girls quintet) and attendant show-biz celebs sitting front row are going to wear spiders' webs of crystal over cut-out swimsuits, an orange sweater with peep holes on the body or a cat suit covered with swirling print?

The designer's favored colors were metallic silver, gilt and anything else that glittered on the mirrored runway. "Erotic" read the invitation. But the sex quotient, like the rest, was in your face.

Julie Verhoeven is an exceptional graphic artist, but she is finding it hard to integrate this talent into her Gibo shows. Just occasionally, her fine-nib drawings would light up a gray jacket or her modern geometry insinuate the drawing of an eye into the bodice of a dress. But her own eye seems less sure for the cut and drape of the clothes, although she has developed the line since she started at Gibo.

Ah, the Riviera! It is one of the inspirations for the spring/summer 2004 season. Clements Ribeiro filtered that through the wardrobe of Wallis Simpson, later Duchess of Windsor, to give a fresh, seashore glamour to their look.

"It was all about the Riviera thing, not making it a fashion statement but for flowers and prints," said Inacio Ribeiro, referring to tweedy linen finishes, shoulder brooches, wrap dresses and Elsa Schiaparelli embroideries, all inspired by the Simpson wardrobe.

International Herald Tribune

Intresting though I wanna share. :flower:

The Paris collections might answer that question indefinitely.

Of course,I doubt the many who include black as an alternative,almost exclusively(being that so many do wear it head-to-toe;even designers themselves)will abandon the shade.

Also,I think for some black is almost like an unconcious choice for people when shopping for clothes. At least for me it is. I can't seem to help it. I feel good in black;I feel like myself. Nor do I feel as if I'm giving too much away as far as my personality is concerned. Maybe that's what designers feel? Maybe that's why so many include it as they put a bit of themselves into their work?

i feel best in black. i think a lot of people do. i look best in black as well... i think no matter what, put a woman in a classic black dress, black suit, she looks good. it will never go...i know that.

I dount think all black will ever go away enterly , its to iconice its to stroung, but I coudl see it fading away liek it did in the 70's and tehn reemerging like in the 80's when eveyr body is sick floty pastels

Never for me. ^_^

Thanks for the article, Ignitioned. :flower:

Color is definetly in the air, but black will still never go out of style, maybe on the runways, but not the street because that what sells the most and that's what people feel good in (not really for a me, I'm stick thin :blink: ). Also it seems out only for now because black was really a strong aesthetic in the 90's and we live in sinister times. :wink:

But don't get me wrong, I still :heart: black! :wink:

Your welcome, Astrid and everyone else! :flower:

Originally posted by ignitioned32@Oct 7th, 2003 - 3:00 am
that's what people feel good in (not really for a me, I'm stick thin :blink: ).
Well, I'm rather lean myself and I wear all black because it feels right. :wink: B)

Originally posted by Astrid21+Oct 7th, 2003 - 3:04 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Astrid21 @ Oct 7th, 2003 - 3:04 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-ignitioned32@Oct 7th, 2003 - 3:00 am
that's what people feel good in (not really for a me, I'm stick thin :blink: ).
Well, I'm rather lean myself and I wear all black because it feels right. :wink: B) [/b][/quote]
I understand what your trying to say, and yes I also feel comfortable in black. A majority of my wardrobe is in black, but color too is fun and adds volume! :wink: :flower:

To each their own! :flower:

I certainly agree with Suzy on this, the only problem is that it took her too long to write this article. black is suddenly too tired and gloomy.
All black is also 'old' as in "done-to-death" and makes a boring statement.

The probem with black is that it is too easy a statement, one just throws all black together and the look is so very easily 'done'. Well, its not enough anymore, it's a common and mass marketed look that does not show lots of imagination.
Of course all black can still be interesting if one plays with mattè and shine, with black transparency or black coated fabrics that reflect the light. Thats the modern way to wear black, still for me it can be boring.

I can understand why lots of stylish people are still 'stuck' with all black looks, they loved it when it first came out so there is an emotional attachement there.
But times are changing, what was 'hot' and 'right' some years ago can become tiring even to those that wear it passionetly. (that was my case here, suddenly i got bored of my reflection on the mirror)

A huge follower of all black looks in the past, now I can hardly wear it. It feels too serious, oldfashioned and strict all of a sudden. I still wear my long black coat, black roll necks, my 'signature' black opaque tights, but i mix my blacks with strong or pale colours, with pastel marni-esque prints to give them a fresh mood.

Originally posted by Lena@Oct 7th, 2003 - 3:29 am
black is suddenly too tired and gloomy.

The probem with black is that it is too easy a statement, one just throws all black together and the look is so very easily 'done'. Well, its not enough anymore, it's a common and mass marketed look that does not show lots of imagination.

Of course all black can still be interesting if one plays with mattè and shine, with black transparency or black coated fabrics that reflect the light. Thats the modern way to wear black, still for me it can be boring.
I agree, Lena! :flower: That's why I, too, add color or cool prints to black pieces. B)

Originally posted by Lena@Oct 7th, 2003 - 3:29 am
I certainly agree with Suzy on this, the only problem is that it took her too long to write this article. black is suddenly too tired and gloomy.

I can understand why lots of stylish people are still 'stuck' with all black looks, they loved it when it first came out so there is an emotional attachement there.
But times are changing, what was 'hot' and 'right' some years ago can become tiring even to those that wear it passionetly. (that was my case here, suddenly i got bored of my reflection on the mirror)

A huge follower of all black looks in the past, now I can hardly wear it. It feels too serious, oldfashioned and strict all of a sudden. I still wear my long black coat, black roll necks, my 'signature' black opaque tights, but i mix my blacks with strong or pale colours, with pastel marni-esque prints to give them a fresh mood.
I find that offensive b/c you, along with everyone else I'm sure, knows that I'm an all-black kind of girl. To say that it lacks imagination is a mishap on your part not the person who chooses to wear it. Of course that is your opinion and that's fine, but it's just a little insulting, ya know? But then again I never dressed to please anyone but myself to there's no point in thinking about it. I just think it's silly to say that all black is "old" or "done-to-death". It's a style, my style and part of my everyday life. It's like saying wearing lots of color is "old" or "dated". I think lots of color and patterns to be distracting and a little déclassé. <shrugs> I guess it all depends on what you choose to follow. I don't follow trends, I stick to what I like.

Originally posted by Astrid21@Oct 7th, 2003 - 11:38 am
I find that offensive b/c you, along with everyone else I'm sure, knows that I'm an all-black kind of girl. To say that it lacks imagination is a mishap on your part not the person who chooses to wear it
:shock: I was certainly not thinking of your wardrobe when I stated my opinion Astrid, still i'm sorry if i offended you in anyway and i appologize for this.

you know that i really appreciate your style and i've seen you choosing non all black looks on FS threads, so i never thought of you as a strictly black clad woman :heart: :flower:

It's okay. :ninja: I took it too seriously and too personal. I just get irritated when people talk about my style, that's all. I know it's boring to most but I really like it. To each their own. :flower:

Truth is we have lots of tastes in common Astrid, your preferances may may not be always exactly the same as mine, but still, it you undeniably have an exceptionally cool -and imaginative- style :flower:

(in my book) your style is more than just black, dont forget :heart:

and of course, to each their own :wink:

I love colors and colorful prints but I also wear black.
I think in winter you shouldn't wear dark colors only but also bright colors.....

i will never let trends or silly articles dictate what i wear... if "they" say all black is old, dated.... i dont give a sh*t. I wear what feels good looks best and works on me.... I like the simplistic, sophisticated and clean look of all black and i wear what i wear because of how it makes me feel not because of a fashion critic's idea....

and personally, i think clean simple looks are more interesting and appealing.

Originally posted by Lena@Oct 7th, 2003 - 1:29 am

I totally agree.

i agree with you especially on the point that all balck makes to much of an easy statment

i think all black can be intresting and i wear it veyr much myself, I feel like to many peopel catagorise styles as "Balck" or Coloure full" when i do not think style can be put in terms of colour

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugsrat
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"