Has graffiti influenced fashion in anyway?

manz619

Reaction score
I've been looking into artists such as Banksy and was wondering if they have influenced fashion trends in anyway - I can't find any info!

Last edited by a moderator:
well to be honest, I think banksy style techniques are outdated and just try-hard at this point. Guerrilla tactics definitely work, and are interesting (see the just released "paparazzi" video of Taylor Momsen/Jenny Humphrey doing some parkour to escape them). They definitely have a viral quality when they are unexpected like that. And graffiti definitely has a presence and a visual impact, but doing it correctly, takes a lot of work to not come off as desperate and trite.

However ,graffiti has influenced fashion in major ways especially when looking at streetwear. However, if you look at any of the work Stephen Sprouse did, either for his own line or in his collaboration with Louis Vuitton, you'll see his ideal mix of high and low. You could even see that the recent Richard Prince/LV collaboration has a bit of that influence.

Yes, definitely. It's very evident in streetwear. :smile:

and boudicca designers zowie broach and brian kirby with their recently debuted scent wode. its in a paint-spray style can that sprays blue ink. as they said,its the ultimate symbol of rebellion and expression,graffiti.

^ omg i LOVE wode! it's so gorgeous! the video on the website is absolutely stunning :heart: .. of course graffiti has influenced fashion! for me, its taking art & self expression to the streets and hoping to influence and shock people which i think is exactly what fashion is about .. coco chanel once said that "fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." self expression and preaching your ideas to the everyone around you, to me that really is the essence of fashion and all things beautiful.

However ,graffiti has influenced fashion in major ways especially when looking at streetwear. However, if you look at any of the work Stephen Sprouse did, either for his own line or in his collaboration with Louis Vuitton, you'll see his ideal mix of high and low. You could even see that the recent Richard Prince/LV collaboration has a bit of that influence.
one part's also the "custom" and individualised element
people want something made by hand
prints looking like watercolours, textured paintings,etc
it's a big trend in graphic design --gradually transfers to print in clothes. a lot of my graphic designer friends like to make prints for t-shirts

i've seen a lot of bags selling on the street covered with random text

also few weeks ago the dept store selling designer clothing here, Holt Renfrew their store display is full of this grungey text made with black + red marker.. A background wall covered in text, saying "Prada Gucci " etc
Unfortunately i didn't have a handy camera

Last edited by a moderator:
^agreed. i do think there is a personal element to it that affects the way we dress ourselves and the way designers want to convey authenticity and individuality. that's really the slogan of it. as you mentioned its not even limited to the specifics of graffiti-it could used as inspiration for other methods of rebellion. such as printing,hand-drawing,collaging,patching etc etc. it's all a form of graffiti...a form of defacing in search of spirit and life,as it were. similar to how designers deconstruct and recycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->