Haute Couture Ensemble

Originally posted by brian@May 1st, 2004 - 9:56 pm

00034.L.JPG

Looks like a suit to me..

it's crazy how the word couture is thrown around... back when couture started waaay back to Charles Frederick Wirth... couture was huuuge extravagant handmade designs which incorporated SEVERAL extravagant materials and ornamentations...

I thought that when couture first begun, it was for designers to try and create as little seams as possible??? like the chanel frocks! (especially the jackets im referring to.. very very simple)

Originally posted by ignitioned32@May 5th, 2004 - 7:12 am
Another piece I adore. :heart:

JPG Couture Spring 2001
That dress is so cool looking.

Originally posted by luna@May 4th, 2004 - 10:49 pm

Looks like a suit to me
The thread said "haute couture ensemble," not dress.

The thread also said that if we could only wear one couture piece, what would it be. I was being sensible and chose one that I could use for everyday 1) if i were a woman, and 2) if i could afford couture.

:flower:

i think when luna says it looks like a suit to me she doesn't mean like it's not a dress but rather that it's just an average suit and why should it be considered haute couture?

Originally posted by loserunit@May 5th, 2004 - 8:01 pm
it's just an average suit and why should it be considered haute couture?
I've always wondered that. I mean, in every one of his couture collections JPG shows some variation of a suit. I know the tailoring is probably perfect, and the fabric is highest quality, but other then that what makes it worth so much money? I'm not saying that couture should slways be super embelished but isn't a lot of couture to display rarified, delicate, intricate work of some of the most talented houses? I mean, yeah it's a nice suit but, when I think of haute couture I think of total creative freedom and the houses ability to innovate and present something totally new or elaborate on what previous couturiers have done.

Originally posted by Spike413+May 5th, 2004 - 10:54 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spike413 @ May 5th, 2004 - 10:54 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-loserunit@May 5th, 2004 - 8:01 pm
it's just an average suit and why should it be considered haute couture?
I've always wondered that. I mean, in every one of his couture collections JPG shows some variation of a suit. I know the tailoring is probably perfect, and the fabric is highest quality, but other then that what makes it worth so much money? I'm not saying that couture should slways be super embelished but isn't a lot of couture to display rarified, delicate, intricate work of some of the most talented houses? I mean, yeah it's a nice suit but, when I think of haute couture I think of total creative freedom and the houses ability to innovate and present something totally new or elaborate on what previous couturiers have done. [/b][/quote]
I agree with you totally.. but im guessing that some designers like to put haute couture suits into their collections because well JG for Dior is already doing creative expression.. so they may want to focus their couture on the best possible suit ever produced and not all that fancy embroidery stuff .. well im guessing :blink:

When I think of Haute Couture I think of personal clothing and expert craftsmanship. That doesn't always mean extravagant clothes, it just means very personal clothes that requires a lot of skill and time to make.

Originally posted by Mutterlein@May 6th, 2004 - 1:45 am
When I think of Haute Couture I think of personal clothing and expert craftsmanship. That doesn't always mean extravagant clothes, it just means very personal clothes that requires a lot of skill and time to make.
that's very well put, I think of Couture along the same lines :flower:

Originally posted by Mutterlein@May 6th, 2004 - 1:45 am
to add on to that, that is why I think simpler garments cost so much.

I think when JPG knew Yves Saint Laurent was going to retire he wanted to be the "New Establishment", as they put it, which he, indeed, is.
That's why starting with his Spring 2001 HC collection he was more direct and focus, turning out immaculately tailored suits in the beginning of the collection-which continued up to his Spring 2003 HC collection.

Spike: I've always wondered that. I mean, in every one of his couture collections JPG shows some variation of a suit. I know the tailoring is probably perfect, and the fabric is highest quality, but other then that what makes it worth so much money? I'm not saying that couture should slways be super embelished but isn't a lot of couture to display rarified, delicate, intricate work of some of the most talented houses? I mean, yeah it's a nice suit but, when I think of haute couture I think of total creative freedom and the houses ability to innovate and present something totally new or elaborate on what previous couturiers have done.

Don't forget that, also, most JPG Couture suits have lot of with and design. :wink:

Spring 2001 HC
00011.L.JPG
00012.L.JPG

And as Mutterlein said,

Perhaps it's not the best but i love Torrente and her dress HC S/S 03
"Les Jardins de France" :heart:

Ohh.. i seriously had never seen these pics of JPG suits before.. and I had designs that look very similar to this couture suit.. dammmmmm :(

As far as the dresses, this YSL would be my first choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->