Haute Couture s/s 07 guest designers

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
great news for the Haute Couture Week, a breath of fresh air

HIGH TIMES: Couture may be waning, but the Chambre Syndicale continues to encourage certain ready-to-wear designers to join the high-fashion party. Boudicca, Cathy Pill and Gustavo Lins are among a half-dozen new guest members invited to show during Paris couture week in January, along with Lefranc Ferrant, Nicolas Le Cauchois and Gérald Watelet. The designers join the likes of ongoing invitees Adam Jones, Anne Valérie Hash, Martin Margiela and Richard René, according to the Chambre.

credited to wwd.com

I hope all of those are showing in January already. Can't wait to see Gustavo Lins and Boudicca :woot:

Yeaaa...for Zowie and Brian! I don't know if what was posted on Diane's blog this season was actually a preview of the upcoming presentation but one can expect utter beauty as usual from them. They're aesthetics are so strong already in P-A-P,I think they will take HC by storm.

But I love that HC is trying to revamp itself...it's been much too exclusive for too long...same names and personalities;it had become redundant and losing its touch,quite frankly. I'm happy to see MMM is back,as well,with his beautiful,and my absolute favourite of all his collections,the "0" Artisanal. And Gerald Watelet....that's a name that I haven't heard about in a long time! Cathy Pill too! I wonder what that will be like...she's only just begun in p-a-p it'll be interesting to see the kind of work she can produce on this kind of medium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couture should be an elite, exclusive group. I don't want to see brands like Boudicca do couture. It won't even be couture.

^ I can see it both ways. Couture is extremely expensive and very elite, but at the same time it's very dated in a way, so they're tryinig to liven it up. But at the end of the day Boudicca will only be showing HC not actually producing it, and if it gets them and HC more exposure, I dont see what's wrong.

However, I think Margiela and Hash are the only ones really deserving of showing HC.

so these are the guys who have their flasing couture license in paris...
i cant wait!

Diorling said:
^ I can see it both ways. Couture is extremely expensive and very elite, but at the same time it's very dated in a way, so they're tryinig to liven it up. But at the end of the day Boudicca will only be showing HC not actually producing it, and if it gets them and HC more exposure, I dont see what's wrong.

However, I think Margiela and Hash are the only ones really deserving of showing HC.

Agreed.

eternitygoddess said:
Couture should be an elite, exclusive group. I don't want to see brands like Boudicca do couture. It won't even be couture.

agreed. couture should always be something special, at least for me...

hey there is already elitism happening in P-A-P....I don't see what's different,in that respect. :rolleyes:

so you guys don't think Boudicca in all of their extraordinary craft and workmanship deserves to be in HC? I find it very arrogant to say what they do and are going to be doing won't be HC. So in that what you're saying is that somebody who produces thoughtful,creative,crafty work as they do compared with somebody,like Galliano,who produces the most appalling collections,isn't worthy of being there? I would have thought what they do was more in tone with HC. I don't understand the perception,really. Is it because they don't do hand-beaded chiffon gowns?

Please have a look at the previous collections....

I'm sorry but the attitude must change. HC would have been abandoned if they didn't try something new. And personally,I enjoy the fact that they're trying to open up fashion a bit more....freeing fashion. Elitism is so archaic.

People like Anne-Valérie Hash have been showing their RTW collections during the couture week, with just some outfits partially crossing the couture reglements that have been set up by the Chambre Syndicale.

Apart from the fact that it has a certain symbolism about showing a RTW collection during the couture week, there's also the dry business aspect of being able to launch production a tiny bit earlier and having earlier deliveries (as discussed in the Bertelli-thread, shops seem to expect that these days). After all, that's exactly the time when other designers are showing their pre-collections.

^which is exactly why Boudicca is perfect for this type of venue. I remember our own Spacemiu telling me when he was in NY at Barney's having a look at their range.....he said one of the dresses he saw was very,very Couture-like with alot of other more accessible bits mixed in. That's why they were invited. Also,the idea of presenting HC is sensible....away from that hustle and bustle stressing of showing p-a-p;it's intimate. Which I feel suits their work.

btw,I hope Bruno uses some of that money he won from Swiss Textiles and comes back to HC--if just a small collection. It is,afterall,where he began.

Wow....Cathy Pill.... surprise! I'm looking forward to that as I don't see her as a couture type designer... I knew about Boudicca though and I agree with Scott - they really are a perfect fit for couture...

Scott said:
btw,I hope Bruno uses some of that money he won from Swiss Textiles and comes back to HC--if just a small collection. It is,afterall,where he began.

I doubt this would happen, though. Bruno will probably use the money to branch out with the menswear and accessories (especially shoes), rather than using it to do a not-so-profitable couture collection. There's always one or two really big gowns in the collection that are made-to-order only, but to do a full on couture presentation... for an independent designer... it would be highly unprofitable.

It was very good for him to have done the couture at the start of his career to get sort of a credibility to do the aesthetic and the type of elaborate clothing that he does. Right at the moment it's all about getting his name wider known to the public, it's a nightmare that style.com and vogue.com didn't have him in their reviews for a couple of seasons. There definitely is a lot of potential for his collection to grow and to find a wider audience, without giving up on the integrity of his style.

susie_bubble said:
Wow....Cathy Pill.... surprise! I'm looking forward to that as I don't see her as a couture type designer...

that's exactly what I thought as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->