Hedi Slimane - Designer

Hedi is basically a younger Karl, same life, same never-independent career... he WILL go to Chanel.
If Slimane’s dealings with LVMH really did fall apart because he insisted on royalties for beauty, there’s no way he’s going to Chanel. Chanel isn’t going to let him within a thousand miles of anything to do with beauty or fragrance, and they’re definitely not giving him royalties on it. Chanel has always had a house nose from its inception, and the current nose — only the fourth in the company’s history — is the son of the previous one. He can’t touch any of that there.

Thank you Hedi for all these years! I have few pieces that I love and will keep as long as possible.

Was lucky enough to attend his shows and to shoot many looks over the years. He is a designer either you love or hate but for sure he does not let you indifferent.

I respect him highly as a businessman. Very few creatives deal so well with their career as he does. He knows his worth, he is confident about his vision and no matter what will stick to it.

Now I wish him to focused entirely on his hobbies. I don’t want him at Chanel or anywhere else. Celine gave him everything he wished imo and he leaves on a high note.

This last collection was among the best this season and the visuals are 10/10.

except there's nothing to talk about it cause it's so obvious!

Hedi is basically a younger Karl, same life, same never-independent career... he WILL go to Chanel.
i hope he will but for what it's worth some celine folks say he won't go to Chanel , but can be just their feeling or its more to it .......takes always days/weeks to get the puzzle straight lol

If Slimane’s dealings with LVMH really did fall apart because he insisted on royalties for beauty, there’s no way he’s going to Chanel. Chanel isn’t going to let him within a thousand miles of anything to do with beauty or fragrance, and they’re definitely not giving him royalties on it. Chanel has always had a house nose from its inception, and the current nose — only the fourth in the company’s history — is the son of the previous one. He can’t touch any of that there.
i think it's not so black and white , that what he asked at celine he will ask at Chanel celine like for Phoebe was a blank paper and was not willing to do some things for the brand and hedi build the fragrance at celine out of nothing whereas Channel has already this in balance and ist big so would be crazy of him to even asume ot ask this and he is good at sticking up for himself but he knows also what he can as for when its a different house or project as he likes to call them.

There is no way he is going to CHANEL, I will list the first major impediments that come to mind. Please feel free to add more to let the discussion flow:
- Non compete agreement from LVMH, no way he can leave the third most profitable LVMH brand and start two months after at the most iconic fashion house in the world. CHANEL would need to wait at least one year or pay a lot in terms of fees to direct competitor LVMH to let him start immediately. Only god knows what his job contract actually stated...
- CHANEL side businesses: CHANEL side businesses (makeup, skincare, fine jewelry, high jewelry, watches) are all managed differently by different teams. Karl had no voice in them and so did Virginie (of course...she could barely design ready to wear, imagine fine jewelry). There is no way a freak control like Hedi would let these side jigs running without putting his mouth and words into it. This means CHANEL would need to reposition / fire so many people, some of them just recently hired (just think of the three ladies group in charge of makeup replacing Lucia Pica).
- Leena / Bruno: it is now clear that Leena and Bruno are quite pushy and demanding on what CHANEL should look like and stand for, from artistic direction to merchandise to public relations, leaving little to zero freedom to the creative director. A figure like Hedi would get beef with them at the second meeting with stakeholders.
- Hedi's antics: Hedi is known for having beef with many people / corporations (Conde Nast). CHANEL is a conventional brand, they need to hold runway shows to maintain that superhouse and market leader status. Can you imagine a CHANEL couture show with no Anna Wintour? Come on. We all know that in the fashion world reputation is everything.

Anything else?

There is no way he is going to CHANEL, I will list the first major impediments that come to mind. Please feel free to add more to let the discussion flow:
- Non compete agreement from LVMH, no way he can leave the third most profitable LVMH brand and start two months after at the most iconic fashion house in the world. CHANEL would need to wait at least one year or pay a lot in terms of fees to direct competitor LVMH to let him start immediately. Only god knows what his job contract actually stated...
- CHANEL side businesses: CHANEL side businesses (makeup, skincare, fine jewelry, high jewelry, watches) are all managed differently by different teams. Karl had no voice in them and so did Virginie (of course...she could barely design ready to wear, imagine fine jewelry). There is no way a freak control like Hedi would let these side jigs running without putting his mouth and words into it. This means CHANEL would need to reposition / fire so many people, some of them just recently hired (just think of the three ladies group in charge of makeup replacing Lucia Pica).
- Leena / Bruno: it is now clear that Leena and Bruno are quite pushy and demanding on what CHANEL should look like and stand for, from artistic direction to merchandise to public relations, leaving little to zero freedom to the creative director. A figure like Hedi would get beef with them at the second meeting with stakeholders.
- Hedi's antics: Hedi is known for having beef with many people / corporations (Conde Nast). CHANEL is a conventional brand, they need to hold runway shows to maintain that superhouse and market leader status. Can you imagine a CHANEL couture show with no Anna Wintour? Come on. We all know that in the fashion world reputation is everything.

Anything else?
Let's bookmark this reply so we could all share a big laugh when Hedi will be named CHANEL's creative director in December 2024...LOL

Anything else?
The first could be the reason for the "thorny contract negotiation"?
And if Hedi is the young Karl, then it actually fits...
But Chanel needs to get rid off the Unilever CEO first.

I want to remind you all that this fashion house used to be one of the troubling cases in LVMH's roster of luxury fashion brands, much like Loewe (which only had Narciso Rodriguez for a brief amount of time) - Michael Kors, Roberto Menichetti and Ivana Omazic all tried their best to put Celine on the map without much success, so when Phoebe Philo took over, she build on a very low revenue.
I do remember it too vividly, Celine was tragic, esp with Menichetti, it was basically Krizia.. just a brand that is there, soulless and directionless, seemingly not standing a chance. Phoebe did a miracle there but also, it’s easier to create when the canvas is that blank and no one has any memory of anything outstanding ever happening there.

It’s frustrating when people talk about Celine like this brand with a rich legacy.. maybe! like several decades ago, definitely not right before Phoebe, so not much to worry about. If they don’t get someone with a strong vision, it will go back to being less relevant than Rochas.

What a shame hes leaving. I really like his Celine and his products. without him it won't have the same weight. I really feel his hand and vision through everything and I also kind of trust it. I wouldn't mind seeing him at Chanel to be honest, but hes better off doing photography and enjoying life.

Time flies, I remember that period when skinny fashion was in trend. But now it seems that most of the male designers tend to bulk up and get the masculine look.

Anything else?
All honesty should not be as big issues as they might seem from the outside, Chanel is a bigger beast Hedi had never stepped in a 15 billion company he is intelligent and educated enough to know where he can push or not this is a given.

Beefing privately or openly and asking for more freedom or royalties is normal in any business and good for him to stand on his grounds its not diva to me its having principles and know your worth things we would tell any person today if we cared about them.

Objectively speaking we simply don't know what deals or conversations are had and how they are done, things might be far more casual then we think even if both LVMH and chanel are at times very corporate.

But fun times interesting to se how this all goes down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swfrank123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->