Hedi Slimane Is The New Artistic Director Of Céline

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by dodencebt, Jan 21, 2018.

1. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

Well you did not see my other posts with Hedi related to know that I defended him few times but anyway.

My problem is the way Hedi doing it. He is not the most talented and he is so one dimensional that at some point he has to realise he may need to keep some ideas of his predecessors.

Hedi comes to whichever house without any consideration of what has been done before just to do again the same thing. I don't see the point of accepting to work under a brand to not take in consideration what has been done in the past.

Riccardo does not have this bashing because the change of logo has a real history and meaning and he did not be childish to delete the whole Instagram.

I don't mind some rebranding when it is truly feels necessary as Saint Laurent or more recently Burberry. The two brands needed a rebranding.

Plus Hedi showed many times in the past that every action he did in a house was more to nurture his big ego more than anything so for him Céline is more his dream of having finally the total control of a brand more than the will of making the brand grow and be stronger.

We will see. We just have few weeks to wait. Céline by Philo is from the past. It was good and it is sure time to move on but if it is too see bad collections like he did many times at SLP then I pass.

JessRubik likes this.
  2. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

^^
    You have perfectly explained the problem with Hedi.
    In a way, there’s something romantic about this obsession of being able to obtain and express his vision to the fullest but, it’s all done in a very self-centered manner.
    Every designer has a big ego and even more those who really had an impact on fashion and culture. They know their worth...

But Hedi is maybe the only one who doesn’t seems to mind at all of the history of the houses he is working for. Because we all know that is going to be a commercial success, that Celine’s PR is going to be the nightmare of the industry and that the controversy is going to be beneficial anyway.... It’s almost like there’s no challenge other than financial for LVMH.

And to think that people wanted him at Chanel. I don’t see the Weirthemers allowing someone to take over their treasure like that...

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Of course with his toddler-style tantrums in mind, I would expect nothing less than for him to be so aggressively pedantic as to change the logo. Even if it means just taking an accent off the 'e.' It's nothing new in fashion, but this need of his to make these petty changes each time and without even showing an ounce of clothing is nauseating, and shows insecurity more than anything. It's like he's very much aware his work will be compared next to that of Phoebe at some point, but unfortunately for this time around Phoebe's tenure was both a critical and commercial success, so good luck trying to live up with him with LA garb!

4. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

let me know when he decides the show the clothes. Also if you want to change a logo just do flip it around. This new logo is so unnecessary.

5. Ed..

Ed.. cape cod kwassa kwassa!

It's not a big deal but I thought Hedi, out of all people, should know the importance of l'accent aigu. Heehee.

RedSmokeRise and dontbeadrag like this.
  6. madame_georgiana

Waiting patiently for this show, surprise me Hedi...

7. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

He better bring THE DEBUT COLLECTION, because if he dont... :important:important:important

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  8. StockholmFW

StockholmFW Well-Known Member

9. Steddycam91

Steddycam91 Active Member

I know right? You'd think he would want to carry on with the air of pretension that it gives off.

Also, for someone who's such a stickler for detail, what gives with messy, aggressive all-caps IG captions? I'm imagining Hedi in a board meeting yelling, "THE SPACING BETWEEN THE LETTERS HAS BEEN BALANCED OUT AND THE LETTERS HAVE BEEN BROUGHT CLOSER TOGETHER!"

10. PierreGotha

PierreGotha Member

That is very prada! and he did another backshot like some of his past campaigns.

Wenden likes this.
  11. marcBarna

marcBarna Well-Known Member

12. vetements

vetements Active Member

Fact that it got people talking is already a success in itself, with Hedi, it’s like a sure-win. With him, there is no doubt about being commercially successful, liking his designs or not, it is going to sell.

As for him deleting the past Instagram posts, I don’t see anything wrong with that, to create a cohesive look. I think more so that anything for businesses, Instagram is for marketing purposes like this, for those who intend to do researches in what Céline looked like should visit the libraries or other online sites perhaps.

Can’t wait for his next moves.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  13. tricotineacetat

tricotineacetat Well-Known Member

The changes in the logo are quite subtle and consistent, not like the drastic re-branding of 'Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche' to 'Saint Laurent Paris'. So in that regard, I'm a little surprised for the strong reactions the new logo is stirring up. That a change in art direction would be obvious was clear to me but I'm satisfied with the end result not completely disregarding what's been there before under Phoebe Philo. While it's a bit much to give it such a self-important explanation written in all-caps, I think the result looks tasteful and consistent - Let's see how this moves on as we get to see the design of stores, packaging as well as the woven tag in the clothes - As well as the actual clothes!

14. gossiping

gossiping Well-Known Member

i don't mind it, yeah it's all totally for publicity though. would have been nice if it was all kept quiet till the show

i don't like that they have taken their site content down though !

15. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I think the logo looked so much better before. However, I never had any expectation other than that he would ruin the brand, so any failure at all to do so will come as a pleasant surprise.

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  16. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict Well-Known Member

17. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

ha, he's not even trying... replace it with saint laurent and same dull piece of junk. But looking forward to the story on his mysterious blond dude: I SPOTTED KENNY IN NOVEMBER 2015 PLAYING THE KEYBOARD FOR LEOPARD LOCOS IN A NAMELESS BAR IN LITTLE UNKNOWN EAST LOS ANGELES AKA LOS FELIZ WHICH WAS STILL FREQUENTED BY OBSCURE SUBCULTURES OF YOUTH REINTERPRETING 1950s JAZZ. KENNY IS ALSO THE 14 YEAR OLD UNKNOWN SON OF HOLLYWOOD LEGEND AL PACINO AND LIVES IN BEL AIR. KENNY, PHOTOGRAPHED IN MALIBU, SEPTEMBER 2018.

18. simons

simons Member

Wasn't this bag from Phoebe's Spring Summer 2018 collection for CELINE?

72d8d09803795462cb32a732b5499a31.jpg
    Credit: Tommy Ton

Notice the font, the spacing, and the accent!! Hmm..

Frida likes this.
  19. rqfsimons

rqfsimons Member

That's based of the 70s–80s logo of Céline. It didn't have the accent then.

20. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

^^
    Yes exactly. Phoebe added the É. It wasn’t there before her...
    That bag was part of the SS2018 collection and was gifted in the boutiques. If you pay attention, some of the bags in that collection looked very Vintage. I actually wonder if they weren’t originals from the 70’s.
    Phoebe looked a lot in the archives of Celine but she was subtle and her collections had so much references that sometimes people didn’t paid attention.