Helmut Lang Sold

Spacemiu

Reaction score
This Just In...
Helmut Lang: Sold!

MILAN: Monday, October 04, 2004

Helmut Lang has handed over the remaining 49% stake in his company to Patrizio Bertelli and the Prada Group. Lang, who first sold 51% of his business to Bertelli in 1999, no longer owns any part of his company, but is continuing in his capacity as creative director of the brand. “Taking complete control of the Helmut Lang Group is a clear demonstration of how strongly we believe in the potential of the brand,” said Bertelli in a statement. For his part, Lang stated that he is “pleased with this development” and looks forward to his continued creative director role.
JJ MARTIN F.W.D.

Helmut is cashing in. I wonder if he's thinking about retiring.

BTW, I just got back from the HL store. Such a disappointment. Except accessories nothing caught my eye. AND I think the quality of this collection is pretty bad. The leather is thick and rough, lots of cotton Gap-looking sweaters, lots of fleece and sweatshirts. A big change from the quality of the last collection (which wasn't superb to begin with, but still good). Helmut, what are you doing?!

Cashing in... cashing in his soul.

That really saddens me that he would bow to them in such a way. I mean,it was enough that it was half,but all? Now he doesn't even have the slightest to say creatively. Now,just more money in the fascists pockets. Patrizio will definitely take an advantage now. It'll be another Prada VS Jil Sander story.

Originally posted by Scott@Oct 4 2004, 01:42 PM
Cashing in... cashing in his soul.

That really saddens me that he would bow to them in such a way. I mean,it was enough that it was half,but all? Now he doesn't even have the slightest to say creatively. Now,just more money in the fascists pockets. Patrizio will definitely take an advantage now. It'll be another Prada VS Jil Sander story.
[snapback]385087[/snapback]​

Why do I have that feeling that he just wants to retire, I don't know. I also wonder if that's been in the works for a while which would explain the sudden drop in quality this season.

Originally posted by maarit@Oct 4 2004, 02:11 PM
How old is he?
[snapback]385131[/snapback]​

I don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say early 40's...

It seems a bit strange.

Does anyone know how well Helmut Lang is doing financially?

I honestly don’t think that Bertelli would like Lang to retire, if not for anything else then because of the bad experience when Jil Sander left the group.

That’s why I’m quite sure that Lang has committed himself to the company by signing a contract, now that he’s no longer tied to the group by the joint ownership.

So right now I don’t fear that Helmut will retire anytime soon, but you never know…

Originally posted by faust@Oct 4 2004, 02:13 PM
I don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say early 40's...
[snapback]385133[/snapback]​

this is interesting...does anyone know off had what the prada groups stake in tod's (do they have a stake in tod's?) and jil sander?

:shock: big surprise.. he must be fed up, i dont blame him at all :ninja:

Originally posted by faust@Oct 4 2004, 01:27 PM
Helmut is cashing in. I wonder if he's thinking about retiring.

BTW, I just got back from the HL store. Such a disappointment. Except accessories nothing caught my eye. AND I think the quality of this collection is pretty bad. The leather is thick and rough, lots of cotton Gap-looking sweaters, lots of fleece and sweatshirts. A big change from the quality of the last collection (which wasn't superb to begin with, but still good). Helmut, what are you doing?!
[snapback]385053[/snapback]​

Helmut's shoes were always the strongest section, in my opinion. The rest was just semi-fashionable, neutral and unextraordinary.

Forgot to add this, won't let me edit now.. ugh

I see Prada Group becoming like LVMH or Gucci Group... Strangely enough, that kind of agressive retail and corporatism doesn't remind me of Prada.... but doesn't it just seem that way?

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Oct 4 2004, 10:07 PM

I see Prada Group becoming like LVMH or Gucci Group... Strangely enough, that kind of agressive retail and corporatism doesn't remind me of Prada.... but doesn't it just seem that way?
[snapback]385265[/snapback]​

Prada Group is already bigger than Gucci :ninja:

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Oct 4 2004, 11:07 PM
Forgot to add this, won't let me edit now.. ugh

[snapback]385265[/snapback]​

Well, that’s exactly what Bertelli is trying to achieve, and to be honest I don’t think it’s all that bad.

In fact lesser known designers can easily benefit from an alliance with the Prada group.

It’s essential that Bertelli don’t interfere too much in the creative-process though.

In fact I’m quite optimistic and believe he’s learnt a lot from the rift with Jil. He sure must have convinced Jil that he has changed to make her come back.

On another note I actually really liked a lot of Milan Vukmirovic's collection for Jil Sander…

Originally posted by Lena@Oct 4 2004, 04:15 PM
Prada Group is already bigger than Gucci :ninja:
[snapback]385273[/snapback]​

are you serious? that doesn't seem right...maybe most articles i see are talking about publicly traded fashion conglomerates...i always thought it was lvmh, richemont, then gucci group.

Originally posted by macchiom@Oct 4 2004, 04:18 PM
On another note I actually really liked a lot of Milan Vukmirovic's collection for Jil Sander…
[snapback]385276[/snapback]​

To tell you the truth they always looked the same way to me Jil or Milan, same suit, same cashmere sweater, same coats, same shirts, collection in, collection out, collection in, collection out... I think the fit got worse with Milan.

Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 4 2004, 10:24 PM
are you serious? .
[snapback]385284[/snapback]​

yes :P
i think they surpassed the Gucci group last quarter

Originally posted by Lena@Oct 4 2004, 04:44 PM
yes :P
i think they surpassed the Gucci group last quarter
[snapback]385304[/snapback]​

I'm not surprised. They have a bunch of sure winners, as opposed to Gucci who is being dragged down by Stella and Lee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->