'Help Wanted' - Post Unpaid Internships & Other Unpaid Opps (NO COMMENTS, PLEASE!)

If you don't want some kind of expensive seamstress your best bet is to look in the yellow pages as Lena said...or try and find a clothing repairs/alterations shop...they may have people there skilled enough to make good quality garments without the same cost as a professional seamstress...

I need models...any suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I've recently went back to school for photography (even though i've been photographing for 10 years and I'm only 23). I want to send my book out to agencies to test models, but I don't have any professional looking models in my portfolio. I also have a commercial/fashion photography class next semester that I would need models for. I searched oncemodelplace, but everyone on there wants tfp or paid jobs.
Anyone know where to find some models to build a portfolio? -like any forums to post on or sites to go to? any suggestions on what i should do???

Thanks everyone for your help! I greatly appreciate any feedback I can get!

Best,
Melissa

^^^ you dont have to use "professional" models i think..just people that are good on posing..I would suggest to go to a theatre school or an actors center...there you always find peolpe in need of pictures of themselves for their portofolios..so you can make a switch...You use them for your pics and instead of paying you give them a CD with their photos..

The agencies are understandably protective of their models. However they are also desperate (possible slight exaggeration ;-) ) to get freet tests for their new faces.

So rest assured that while they want to see 'something' in your book they don't expect you to be the finished article before they will help. They will want to know that there is a chance that they will get something book worthy for the model. Your style may not suit every agency so you might have to do some leg work. In fact, your style may even be unsuitable for any agency - that is a possibility!

Where to start then. Find your best looking mates. Find their better looking partners, brothers, sisters etc. Put notes on college notice boards etc. Get busy!

Photographer looking for Muas and Hair Stylists...

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to update my book so I can visit some agencies this summer. Anyone know a good place to look for Muas, Hair stylists, and Stylists? I looked on onemodelplace.com...but everyone wants paid work.
I'm in the NYC/NJ area..anyone have any good references?

Thanks a bunch!!

Melissa

ohmmanipadmehung said:
I searched oncemodelplace, but everyone on there wants tfp or paid jobs.

Re TFP: Any model (or aspiring model) that works for you free will expect prints or at least a CD of a few of the best images in exchange for her time. She's working for her portfolio too. In fact, you'll have to provide a CD or proofs with access to the film to the agency when you do get your models at agencies. So no matter who you shoot, this is expected. So don't balk at the TFP requests ... work out something that you can both agree upon. It's a cost of building you portfolio.

Do be very selective about what the model looks like and her size ... the taller and slimmer the better (to a point) and should have a knock out face with great bone structure, full lips and wide set, big eyes. Learn to pick the right model for the genre you are shooting ...pretty girl next door for commercial stuff, edgier and skinnier girls for fashion. Be careful about working with glamour models (think Playboy and Maxim for a visual) ... not only do they have too much in the bust and hip areas, they usually can only do glamour poses ... you know, butt in the air, finger in the mouth and a direct "come hither" gaze :innocent: ... not what you probably want.

There's ton's of models on other sites like Musecube, Model Mayhem and such ... but you'll have to spend a lot of time sorting through the wannabes that don't have what it takes.

sorry guys..i didn't mean to put the tfp in the question. I have no problem giving any finished images to the models and artists that I work with. I couldn't figure out how to edit my post.
Melissa

Same places that I told you about in our PM, Mellissa ... they also have listings for artists of every type.

Also this place ... a forum, not a a portfolio site ... but they do have a list of talent (somewhere on the first page in the introduction stuff) and a place to post what you need ... Networking. Be sure to give a link to your work, how to reach you and tell them that it's TFP. http://p082.ezboard.com/bmakeupandrelatedindustries

I have to disagree regarding "TFP" - some of the demands that are made under that moniker are pretty scandalous. Understandable perhaps when the models are dealing with guys with cameras looking for a cheap thrill, but (giving you the benefit of the doubt) you are not in that category. To see what NOT to agree to see the Google ad that occasionally appears on these pages as supposedly "fair".

However I strongly agree with BetteT that you should be really selective about your models. A great model, with no make up, in jeans and a T-shirt will make for far better photographs than a so so girl with all the styling you can throw at her. Get ALL the ingredients and you will be flying!

A quick pointer as to what should be non-negotiable, whether paid, testing or TFP'ing (if you must:(

1) Never agree to share, sign over or otherwise relinquish copyright in your work. By default it belongs to you and only you. In most countries it took a long time for photographer's to be granted the same legal rights as other artists - don't throw those rights away. If you want to let someone else use your images issue them a licence.

2) Never hand over unretouched digital files. Even if are printed by someone else, if they look bad you will still get the blame. Let them choose a few, retouch those and put them on a CD.

3) Don't be afraid to put it in writing. If you are working with an agency they have terms and conditions and won't let their models sign your release. For independent models and everyone else on the shoot put it in writing who gets what and where the pictures can be used and by whom.

Looking for a make-up artist and hair stylist to assist on student project London UK

Hi everyone

I am a final year photography student based in Hertfordshire UK, I am looking for a make-up artist, hair stylist and stylist to collaborate with on my final project.

I am looking for people who have a creative view and talent in hairdressing and make-up and are willing to push the boundaries and try new and interesting ideas, and enjoy working as part of a team.

The concept for my project is the combination of street/documentary style photography with fashion images. My aim is to create images that at first glance appear to be normal everyday street scenes, but on closer inspection you notice that there is a highly styled (clothes, make-up and hair) and highly posed model in the scene. Hopefully creating a tension between the functionality of fashion and everyday life.

I am looking to start testing in the next few weeks if you are at all interested, or have an further questions please contact me by e-mail [email protected], asap.

I also have several portfolio building shoots line up focusing on different themes including vivid colour, animal/caveman style fashion, B&W contrast and desertion.

Anyone works with me would be credited for their skills whenever the images are used (exhibition, portfolio, website etc) and would receive copies of the image for their own portfolio. I am also keen to build further links in the industry and will recomend/introduce artists to other student photographers/film makers if they are interested.

Many thanks
Claire

I am also looking to collaborate with MUA's and stylists. As a student I cannot afford to pay people but will give a CD of images and credit their work when ever it's used.

I'm based in the UK, does anyone know of anywhere I can look to start contacting people.

Thanks
Claire

emergent !! I need help on vintage cloth!!

I am currently working on a business assignment about inventory ( I know it's boring topic :( ).and I am thinking of vintage shopsas an example. do you know where they got those real vintage cloth from?

usually from antique markets or clearances of old stock houses, if we are talking about fabric that is..

thank u soooo much !! any of u heard about this on line vintage shop before? :vintagevixen

I can do it!!!

Hey there, my name is Rachel and I live In montreal. I am a makeup artist and if you still need one, please let me know. I work with brides and the bridal party.

Rachel:rolleyes:

I already posted but incase you didnt see it, my name is Rachel and I live in Monteal. I am a makeup artists and if you are still seraching for one, I would not mind at all. Post me back or email me if you want more information.
Rachel

'wanted' - networking tFS professionals

Hi Everyone!

I am studying productiond design or art direction at the moment...part of the course is to get in contact with someone who is already in the industry!
Is anyone here a professional art director or production designer???

Thank you!!!!!!

Vanessa

NYC Stylists: help needed for event

Fashion stylists – do you know any designers that could join a Runway show in NYC
February Fashion Week: We are holding a sponsored event that will get the same press as NY Fashion Week. Will are still looking fro two couture or designer level designers that can put on a runways show. Use the same top models fro the runway agencies. Model agencies are also on board. Please contact [email protected] for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->