Herb Ritts - Photographer

JHB

Reaction score
One of my favs, he was great when shot Fashion.

Tatjana Patitz and Naomi Campbell.

hr32bt.jpg
hr26te.jpg
hr13jg.jpg

those are great pics KisMiss, I love his work, I will be supporting this thread. :flower:

Cindy, Linda and Christy, Vogue Cover 1991 source:Postershop.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
A foundation has been established for his works. Here is the link to the main website: http://www.herbritts.com. There are quite a number of images of his portraiture etc. on the site. Enjoy! :heart:

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Herb Ritts (August 13, 1952 – December 26, 2002) was an American fashion photographer who concentrated on black-and-white photography and portraits in the style of classical Greek sculpture. Consequently some of his more famous pieces are of male and female nudes in what can be called glamour photography. He was born in Los Angeles, California to a prosperous family who owned a furniture business.

In 1974 he received an economics degree from Bard College in upstate New York and soon after returned to Los Angeles to work as a sales representative for his family's business. However, Ritts started taking night classes in photography and decided to dedicate himself to the art in the late 1970s. His first break into the business occurred as a result of taking portraits of his actor friend Richard Gere. These photos gained national exposure on the covers of many magazines.

Throughout the 1980s and 1990s he worked with magazines such as Harper's Bazaar, Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair and Vogue on portraits of famous people and artistic photos of models. Subjects of his black-and-white celebrity portraits included Kofi Annan, Cindy Crawford, Tenzin Gyatso (the Dalai Lama), Madonna, Jack Nicholson and Elizabeth Taylor.
In 1981, Ritts took photos for the album cover of Olivia Newton-John's Physical.

Madonna's album True Blue: Ritts started his long term collaboration with Madonna in 1984, when he shot the ad for her movie Desperately Seeking Susan. In 1986, Ritts shot the cover photo of Madonna's True Blue album. He later ventured into the world of music video at a suggestion of Madonna and filmed her video "Cherish". In 1989 he photographed Belinda Carlisle for her Runaway Horses album. He photographed Cindy Crawford for the July 1988, and October 1998 issues of Playboy.

Ritts proved himself to be successful in directing music videos. In 1991 two of these, Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" and Janet Jackson's "Love Will Never Do (Without You)", won MTV Video Music Awards. He co-directed Michael Jackson's "In the Closet" video which featured supermodel Naomi Campbell. He also directed videos for Mariah Carey's "My All", Britney Spears' "Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know", Jennifer Lopez's "Ain't It Funny" and Shakira's "Underneath Your Clothes", the latter was completed shortly before his death.

He died in Los Angeles from pneumonia-related complications. Reports state that he was HIV-positive but that was not the cause of death.[citation needed] He left behind his partner Erik Hyman. Ritts' final published photographs were those of actor Ben Affleck in Vanity Fair magazine.

Director filmography

2002 July: Lacoste - "Pour Homme"
2002 March: Shakira - "Underneath Your Clothes"
2001 September: 'N Sync - "Gone"
2001 July: Jennifer Lopez - "Ain't It Funny"
2001 March: Britney Spears - "Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know"
2000 April: Tracy Chapman - "Telling Stories"
1999 July: Chris Isaak - "Baby Did a Bad, Bad Thing"
1998 March: Mariah Carey - "My All"
1997 - : Giorgio Armani - "Acqua Di Giò"
1996 June: Toni Braxton - "Let It Flow"
1994 December: Jon Bon Jovi - "Please Come Home For Christmas"
1993 - : Guy Laroche - "Horizon"
1993 - : Calvin Klein - "Escape"
1992 April: Michael Jackson - "In The Closet"
1991 February: Chris Isaak - "Wicked Game"
1990 October: Janet Jackson - "Love Will Never Do (Without You)"
1989 August: Madonna - "Cherish"

My favorite is his black and white image of the Dalai Lama.

herbritts.com

Stephanie, portfolio by Herb Ritts from german Playboy, October 1993

Scanned by Paradoxa, from the Stephanie Seymour thread

VOGUE UK October 1989
"Friends of the Earth" by Herb Ritts

Scanned by Mojopin, from the Tajana Patitz thread

Herb Ritts only has 2 pages?! I, for some reason, love his work for Playboy, but- Germany has it's own playboy? & It got Stephanie Seymour?

Herb Ritts only has 2 pages?!

yeah, the most of the members here are really young and they probably even don't know who he is, that's how fashion is ^_^ besides he was not a full time fashion photographer like Meisel, he was a portraitist of celebrities, director of commercials & videos but also did a lot of fashion.

I, for some reason, love his work for Playboy, but- Germany has it's own playboy? & It got Stephanie Seymour?

it was a reprint of the American Version, the most of Playboy pictures by Ritts were published in every worldwide edition. :wink:

How many times has he shot for Playboy? I only recall Cindy's famous spread, and now- Stephanie's.

I think I'm going to try & find Cindy's whole pictorial somewhere, I've always wanted to see it & now I'm interested.

How many times has he shot for Playboy? I only recall Cindy's famous spread, and now- Stephanie's.

I think I'm going to try & find Cindy's whole pictorial somewhere, I've always wanted to see it & now I'm interested.

Brigitte Nielsen, Cindy Crawford two times, Elle McPherson, Stephanie Seymour, Carre Otis, Carla Bruni and some others that I can't remember their names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
user91036
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->