Hermès by Martin Margiela (1997-2003)

xPedro

Reaction score
I'm surprised we don't have a thread here for Margiela's work at Hermés. I think he was an interesting choice for Hermés, his simple, minimalist style is very different from the Hermés' oppulence so I think this mix of references resulted in a very unique face for the maison.

F/W 01.02
hermes1.jpg
hermes2.jpg

hermes3.jpg
hermes5.jpg

garmentozine.wordpress

moving this to the history of style section. remember retrospective features go there. :flower:

i think it was time we had a thread dedicated to the period. i love this era of hermes myself. even more than gaultier's which was mostly forgettable to me. it was everything you wanted to see in a luxury house....it was modern without all the trappings of being "fashion".

Thank you so much for sharing! I was too young to appreciate these collections when they came out but they just perfectly encapsulate exactly what I'm looking for right now. I love the diverse casting, fresh faces, and luxurious minimalism. I wish I could find pants cut just the way he did them then. They're masculine but don't look like they're 'borrowed' from men. If that makes sense. Thank you again!

moving this to the history of style section. remember retrospective features go there. :flower:

i think it was time we had a thread dedicated to the period. i love this era of hermes myself. even more than gaultier's which was mostly forgettable to me. it was everything you wanted to see in a luxury house....it was modern without all the trappings of being "fashion".

my thoughts exactly!!! when I first saw Margiela's collections for Hermés I started to think about the first collections of Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton, it was all so simple but at the same time extremely oppulent, I don't know, but this kind of luxury is much more appealing to me!

Ah. Lovely to see a thread like these happening. Here are some of my scans of Martin's work for Hermès.

Reversible shirt-jacket in charcoal double-faced diagonal wool
Sleeveless high collar tunic pullover in black comfort cashmere
Rounded pants, two zippers, in charcoal comfort flannel

Shirt-jacket with zipper in grey light baby alpaca
Highneck pullover without seams in grey cashmere
Drawstring pants in grey light baby alpaca

Reversible shirt-jacket in charcoal double-faced diagonal wool
Sleeveless high collar tunic pullover in black comfort cashmere
Rounded pants, two zippers, in charcoal comfort flannel

Two pullovers, layered, in charcoal and grey baby cashmere

Shirt-jacket with zipper in grey light baby alpaca
Highneck pullover without seams in grey cashmere
Drawstring pants in grey light baby alpaca

Two pullovers, layered, in charcoal and grey baby cashmere

Delphine
photography tim richmond

Portraits of women in Hermès
Le Monde d’Hermès № 35, 1999 Vol. II, Fall–Winter 1999–2000

cotonblanc.tumblr.com

Drawstring back dress in dark grey chiné cashmere
Turtleneck tunic pullover in dark brown cashmere
Low Boots in black oiled calfskin

Tunic with remote neckline in light brown chiné cashmere

Hand-woven stole in dark grey mohair
Pants with two pleats in dark brown super 120
Long gloves in étoupe shearling/white wool, hand-stitched

Shawl collar cardigan and sleeveless tunic pullover with English ribbing in dark grey comfort cashmere

Marie-Anne
photography joanna van mulder

Portraits of women in Hermès
Le Monde d’Hermès № 35, 1999 Vol. II, Fall–Winter 1999–2000
my scans

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like this is what Christophe is trying to attempt with his collections at Hermes, but there is just something magical about Margiela's work for that house that he can't really seem to get the essence of.

wow,thank you for sharing those rqfsimons! i had no idea you were the one that ran that tumblr...you compile some of the best stuff on the net.

anyway,everything....absolutely everything.....is just so utterly sublime. at the time,i remember thinking how kindred its approach was to what he was kind of doing with his old 6 line--which would eventually become the 4 line after diesel. it used to be his simpler collection....more accessible with a concentration being easy but high quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful thread, thanks to those of you who posted pictures :flower:

Also, could a mod correct the spelling of Hermès in the thread's title, please? It's bugging me so much :lol:

not one thing looks the least bit dated...
amazing!

*sigh*

Hermes fashion at its best, nothing body conscious, just Chic.

She wants so many things
photography karena perronet-miller styling anne-laure nicolas

Le Monde d’Hermès № 44, 2004 Vol. I, Spring-Summer 2004
source: my scans

An Essential Simplicity
photography blaise reuterswärd styling claire dupont

Le Monde d’Hermès № 32, 1998 Vol. I, Spring-Summer 1998
source: my scans

^ Wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing these!

that spring 98 collection was so delicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"