Hermès denies rumors that Jean Paul Gaultier is leaving

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by VogueParisLover, Aug 20, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. VogueParisLover

VogueParisLover New Member

[​IMG]

*fashionweekdaily.com*

2. ad041715

ad041715 New Member

I can't believe it.:shock:
    Why?!

3. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Very surprising, he is a great talent, and i do think he understood H well, however it was never a great fit imho, although he made some stunning collections for them.

4. retailqueen

retailqueen New Member

Very very strange. I don't know why it happened. Business was good but maybe Jean Paul wasn't liking what he was creating.

I wonder who is going to replace him .....

5. haksare

haksare New Member

Nooooo! :cry: I love his work for Hermes! Every single one of his shows was a delight to watch, full of chic pieces and the signature crocodile bags :crush:

I guess he's off to other projects, we'll always have his JPG shows ^_^ I, too, am wondering who will replace him.

6. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

He's done a great job. Maybe he simply wants to scale back & enjoy his life ...

7. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

I was lit thinking about this possibility whilst watching the latest Hermes show.
    Who will take over? Who??

8. 00o00

00o00 New Member

perhaps menswear director veronique nichanian?

9. -Veda-

-Veda- New Member

Hopefully he goes out with a bang! Can't wait to hear who takes over as I love Hermes.

10. Karen0193

Karen0193 Active Member

I absolutely loved Gaultier for Hermès! I have no idea on who can replace him.

11. ScarlettLover

ScarlettLover New Member

12. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

TBH I never really loved what he did at Hermes. It was never bad, but it was never really great either. It lacked a lot of the joy, magic and subversion that makes Gaultier so wonderful.

I hope this means that he'll start to put his all into his own collections now that they're his only priority.

13. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ I really liked the Amelia Earhart collection ... it's always nice & has some interesting ideas. I don't think subversive would be appropriate for Hermes ... what could be less subversive than a Birkin or Kelly :p

14. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

^ True, but for me Hermes just always lacked that spark that's so much apart of Gaultier's identity. It was always beautiful, and luxe of course, but it was kind of...formulaic, I suppose.

15. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

Well unlike Gaultier's own brand, Hermes in general was always more subdued and classic in look, never really innovative. It's a safe luxury good brand that never needed to be changed and wanted to stay very small. Maybe that's why he feels he needs to go? His vision are rather BIG for Hermes anyhow.

16. Trista

Trista New Member

Correct. To me, Hermes was not as much about pushing the envelope-it's a brand that is known for being more classic, and to me when I first started getting into fashion, three things: the Birkin, the Kelly, and the scarves. I hope that this means that JPG himself will be putting on even crazier shows, and I expect a lot more now because it's not going to be two lines, just one.

17. LagerfeldBoy

LagerfeldBoy Active Member

I'm beyond shocked.
    And sad as well.:cry:

18. Ghostboy

Ghostboy New Member

As long as Véronique Nichanian doesn't resign, I'm okay with that. Sorry ladies!

19. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

is the leadership at hermes asleep at the wheel to accept his resignation?! have they not seen their sales' figures lately? they just recently had to cosign another gator farm to meet the demand for those irresistible bags! gaultier breathed a new life into that house and lead them to places that kept them growing even in this economic turmoil!!! no wonder that last hermes campaign had none of the earhart inspirations that the runway did....

however, they could always woo galliano away from dior at this point. also, gaultier probably needs to focus on securing a legacy for his own house. no one's immune to the financial challenges going on in fashion right now.

20. BerlinRocks

BerlinRocks New Member

^the sales are maybe up ...
    but as i already said, a lot of people inside hermès and the 'real' hermès customers are not really happy with him ...

hermès is not a house like LV ...

i'm sure they are happy about the rise % ... but they prefer to keep it low-profile