Herve Leger - back on the fashion radar

LadyIllusion

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the designer Herve Leger? I cant remember the last time i saw his collection. The last time i saw his clothes Harrods/Selfridges London was about 4 years ago. Since having the last two little uns' can afford the time to look for designer gear. :lol: Sad aint it! :cry:

Yeah...that's a good question. Where has he been? I can only think of a couple celebriteis who have worn his clothes in the past couple years.
cattrall.jpg
Christine%20Lahti%20500.jpg

He had big trouble with his 'investor' who actually kicked him out :shock: of his own company.. very sad story and he's so talented for this style...
He actually lost the rights to using his own 'name' so following a short brake he started up from scratch (hard..) and with a new name (his real suname this time -Leger was a moniker -sp?- of choice ) that now escapes me. He just has a small atelier in Paris under his new name and works mainly with private clients.

if the name comes to me, i'll come back to this :flower:

Thanx guys

that is such a sad story. I really admire his style and clothing.
B)

I agree with elna for his style he is not so bad

Its awfulw aht ahppend to him, coperations are evil( did nt soem things imilare hapen to walter with W&LT investors?), but im ahppy he is still working

absolutely spacemiu.. b&wt have the same problem, they cant use the label anymore, it does not 'belong' to them legaly.. :rolleyes:

attention young designers reading this post,
investors can be too smart for what they are worth, able to seriously damage
your indie label in a very short time, dont get ripped off, check backers up,
get wise :wink:

Now anyone can design under Herve Leger if they like. That did happen with Walter's Wild & Lethal Trash line. Now he's under his own name and a line called "æstheticterrorists" which is far better than W&LT if you ask me.

Herve,I liked some of his stuff like the bandage dresses of one of his collections. But sometimes I found it a bit too Escada-looking though.

Originally posted by Scott@Dec 17th, 2003 - 1:41 pm
Now anyone can design under Herve Leger if they like. That did happen with Walter's Wild & Lethal Trash line. Now he's under his own name and a line called "æstheticterrorists" which is far better than W&LT if you ask me.

I agree walter's AT is by far better. :heart:

thanks for the info lena, to true :wink:

I was watching Behind The Velvet Ropes one time and Lauren Ezersky was having an interview with him in Bergdorf Goodman. He launched a line there called Herve L. Leroux. Though I think that was about 2 years ago. I think now he has a small business, mainly concentraiting on couture eveningwear. :flower:

Originally posted by ignitioned32@Dec 18th, 2003 - 9:08 am
. He launched a line there called Herve L. Leroux. Though I think that was about 2 years ago. I think now he has a small business, mainly concentraiting on couture eveningwear. :flower:
exactly igni, thats the name of his new brand, its his real family name :flower:

Thanks for the pics ... I remember the celebs wearing him and I like his stuff ...

I remember seeing a segment about him on...Fashion TV, was it? Not sure, anyways talking about his banded dresses (which I LOVE) and how he lost the rights to his own name, and now designs under Leroux (which is a moniker inspired by the French Revolution or something).

Not too long after seeing the segment on him I passed the Leger shop in Vegas, I had to go in, it was all super dull clothes that were very Macys in the design...Also they were severly discounted yet the shop was still empty.

the Label was bought and owned by Max Azaria (the owner of BCBG) after they fired leger the hired Jerome Dreyfuss (btw, what happened to Dreyfuss ? ) former boyfriend of Isabel Marant, which i think only lasted for two seasons.
the name Leroux, i read in a magazine interview was suggested to Herve by Karl Lagerfeld ( i think it means redhead, of which Herve natrually is)
fashion is littered with these kind of stories. This is why im not interested in any investor, I will never sell my name (not that anyone wants to buy it now anyways,:lol: :lol: )
i make what i can make, sell what i can sell, and try to grow my business slowly.
i think all independent designers should read the chapter in Teri Agins' book on the designer Zoran.

Last edited by a moderator:
from style.com:

Hervé Léger is not on this week's Paris schedule, but he is back on the fashion radar. On their spring runways, young talents like Proenza Schouler and Christopher Kane revisited the concept of bandage dressing so closely associated with Léger in the eighties and nineties, while red carpet regulars like Beyoncé have been showing off their curves in vintage HL. We recently caught up with the designer, who has changed his name to Hervé L. Leroux.

The name change is a result of a public split with BCBG Max Azria, who bought the line—and moniker—in 1999. It was Karl Lagerfeld who "christened" his friend and former colleague: "He told me, 'Call yourself Leroux because your hair is red—not as red as it was, because you are older—but anyway it works, and everyone will know who you are.' "

Leroux's peripatetic career began in Rome at Fendi working with Lagerfeld, a collaboration that extended to Chanel and later Chloé. Other resume highlights include designing for Lanvin Haute Couture and Diane von Furstenberg. He established his own line in 1985, launching the bandage dress four years later. Today, he operates what he calls "the smallest couture shop in the world" on rue Jacob in Paris.

"The story of the dress is a very simple one," says Leroux, who created his signature made-to-measure frocks by winding strips of fabrics mixed with Lurex, Lycra, and elasticine around the body. "Before I started making clothes I was a hairdresser, then a hatmaker. One day in a factory I found some bands that were headed for the garbage. They gave me the idea of taking those bands and putting them next to one another as one does making a hat."

Leroux wasn't the band's only fan, of course. Azzedine Alaïa, the man most responsible for the "body con" style of dressing that defined an era, used strips of fabric as part of his brilliant repertoire. Claims Leroux: "I think I have pushed the technique farther because I have done almost 1,000 of them."

In the end, though, perhaps neither man can take credit for the phenomenon. "Bands belong to history. They come from Cleopatra, Queen of the Egyptians," says Leroux, adding: "I think I've been an Egyptian in another life."

The current spate of vintage Léger sightings is explained by the fact that BCBG has moved its archive to Los Angeles and opened its doors to the young and the bootylicious. How does Leroux feel when he sees Léger out on the town? "In the beginning it was strange to me," he admits. "But after, I said, 'Listen, it is still you that has made them.' I am happy when it fits nicely the ladies who are wearing it, and when it does not, well, what can I do?"

"I already sent a thank you note to Proenza Schouler," says Leroux, who is excited that young designers are experimenting with the technique. Christopher Kane, meanwhile, says he has a new respect for the man after working with elastic neon fabric sourced in London's East End. "Making those dresses was a nightmare," he says. "All the needles broke."

In the nineties, Leroux dressed Charlotte Rampling and Tyra Banks. He also made Iman's wedding dress. His current work, of which Kylie Minogue is a fan, involves a lot of (tight) draping. "I don't do bands anymore—although I am thinking of redoing them," he says.

(all from style.com)

herve himself

cindy crawford in leger bandage dress

beyonce in leger

karen mulder in leger *1995

iman in leger *at their wedding 1992

lohan in leger

sibyl buck in leger *1997

helena christensen in leger *1994

the current leroux boutique in paris

A recent Leroux creation. The designer has been focusing on drapes that fit tight to the body. “I don't do bands anymore—although I am thinking of redoing them," he says.

hm interesting
going to google him to see if i can find more

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->