High Heels

Charlotte560

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been wearing heels for work recently having never worn them before. I have ankle boots and court shoes with 4 inch heels. I thought about smaller heels but I just liked the effect of the bigger ones.
They certainly hurt my feet - the balls of my feet really burn by the end of the day. But they have made my calves much stronger and shaplier, in fact my legs altogether feel much more toned. They have also made my posture so much better - I have to walk upright - I can't slouch forward like I used to. Best of all they make me feel so confident.
I have read all sorts of things saying that high heels are bad for you - but other say they are OK.
What do you all think? Is it damaging to wear heels regularly. I love the look and the confidence and I'm prepared to put up with the pain!
Charlotte

Long-term, it is very damaging unfortunately. I can't remember what exactly, because I read an article on it quite a while ago, and you can start seeing the side-effects when you're older.
However, like you said, it has made your calves 'stronger and shaplier' which I remember the article stating as an advantage to high heel wearing.
Remember, you can still be confident wearing sexy flats :smile: .. but my suggestion is to mix them up, flats some days and highs other days.
Also, because you wear ankle boots and court shoes, you can always buy those special little thingybobs, which you insert inside and makes wearing them much more comfortable without anyone knowing!
Hope this has helped.

I remember reading that it is bad for your posture as it makes you stick your bum out, so your spine is curved out at the bottom

:lol:

Another thing that I forgot to add is that flats is just as bad, ..I mean, COMPLETELY flat flats... flat as in 90degrees flat... that may also provoke future feet problems.

I don't know about all that scientific stuff you hear. All I know is that I started wearing 3 inch heels when I was 16. I have been increasing the height for the last years and now I wear 6 to 7 inch heels everyday.

My legs feel great, the balls of my feet feel great, my toes feel great and I think I look 200% better than I would in lower heels or (ugh) flats.

I guess it depends on the person but I think heels are some of the best things to ever happen to women! :rolleyes:

I :heart: :heart: :heart: them and always will!

Attachments

• HH_suzi_ba_1_freak.jpg
    HH_suzi_ba_1_freak.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 33
Originally posted by FoxyC@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 10:06 am
:lol:

Another thing that I forgot to add is that flats is just as bad, ..I mean, COMPLETELY flat flats... flat as in 90degrees flat... that may also provoke future feet problems.
Actually that's a little incorrect.

Flats aren't bad for you... FLIP FLOPS are bad for you... they have absolutely not arch support, no orthotic whatsoever.

If you are wearing flats that clearly have some arch support and hug your toes(they dont let your toes just flange out all crazy like), then there isn't damage at all.

You should change your shoes at least 3 times a day ... Meaning you should be wearing 3 different heights of shoes per day... Wear your heels to work... switch to sneakers on the way home or to the gym... barefoot at home. Yes.. barefoot counts as a heel height.

Originally posted by luna@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 2:28 pm
You should change your shoes at least 3 times a day ... Meaning you should be wearing 3 different heights of shoes per day... Wear your heels to work... switch to sneakers on the way home or to the gym... barefoot at home. Yes.. barefoot counts as a heel height.
I never knew that... I'll try it tomorrow. Just curious, though: why?

Suzi: I have very similar shoes.. (seller's picture:smile:

previawhtf.jpg

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep+Jul 2nd, 2004 - 5:12 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheSoCalledPrep @ Jul 2nd, 2004 - 5:12 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-luna@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 2:28 pm
You should change your shoes at least 3 times a day ... Meaning you should be wearing 3 different heights of shoes per day... Wear your heels to work... switch to sneakers on the way home or to the gym... barefoot at home.  Yes.. barefoot counts as a heel height.

[/b][/quote]
It gives your Achilles tendon a rest...

When you are wearing pumps.. your tendon is very contracted... and small... (not stretched, whatever)..

When you wear sneakers, it gradually lengthens your tendon... and when you wear flip flops or go barefoot.. your tendon is completely stretched...

If you wear heels all day every day and nothing else for a very long time you will start to notice the back of your legs hurting... one day you'll take your heels off, go for a run, and snap a very important piece of your leg in half. :yuk:

Originally posted by Spunky@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 7:29 am
I remember reading that it is bad for your posture as it makes you stick your bum out, so your spine is curved out at the bottom
I also remember hearing that...
My mum commented on how I was doing that when I wore them and I got a litle worried... :unsure:

Originally posted by luna+Jul 2nd, 2004 - 5:25 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (luna @ Jul 2nd, 2004 - 5:25 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 5:12 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-luna
@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 2:28 pm
You should change your shoes at least 3 times a day ... Meaning you should be wearing 3 different heights of shoes per day... Wear your heels to work... switch to sneakers on the way home or to the gym... barefoot at home.  Yes.. barefoot counts as a heel height.

It gives your Achilles tendon a rest...

When you are wearing pumps.. your tendon is very contracted... and small... (not stretched, whatever)..

When you wear sneakers, it gradually lengthens your tendon... and when you wear flip flops or go barefoot.. your tendon is completely stretched...

If you wear heels all day every day and nothing else for a very long time you will start to notice the back of your legs hurting... one day you'll take your heels off, go for a run, and snap a very important piece of your leg in half. :yuk: [/b][/quote]
I learn something new everyday :wink: It makes such sense!! What if you wear sneakers all day? Would you just stick with 2 heights?

I remember reading in a magazine that wearing sneakers to and from work then changing into pumps was tacky. I'm glad to hear that some people still do it anyway.

Originally posted by banana@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 8:37 pm
I remember reading in a magazine that wearing sneakers to and from work then changing into pumps was tacky. I'm glad to hear that some people still do it anyway.
Oh, the joys of a school bus :ninja:

Originally posted by banana@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 8:37 pm
What is so tacky about it? It prevents your fancy shoes from getting scuffed up and ruined and it is better for your feet to walk in soft, supporting shoes like sneakers.

It is only tacky if you go ahead and wear your sneakers all day with your business suit, rather than change into some proper shoes.

I don't even wear high heels, but I would never wear sneakers with my work clothes. Granted I don't wear sneakers, full stop, but you know what I mean.

All I heard was that you should alternate wearing heels and flats...personally, I'm used to walking at at least a minimal incline, so wearing FLAT flats feels really odd to me and it strains my calf muscle a bit. This is mostly because my flip flops that I wear when I'm not wearing heels have a bit of a wedge heel to em, and I find them to be VERY comfortable - I walked all over England and France in them last year, and I plan to do the same this year when I go to Italy...but I will always love my heels. I might buy another pair of flats, but it'll take a while for me to get used to...:smile:

There is a podiatrist in Manhattan who runs "L'institute beaute" or something who specializes in high heels... She injects collagen in the balls of women's feet and has this unique procedure to remove joints from the toes for a better fit... She was on 60 minutes and wears manolos with her long white coat.

what are the advantages of being barefoot all day, only to change into flipflops or birkenstock to walk to and from the car? (or disadvantages other than lack of glamour?)

hmm i've always been someone who wears sneakers im 16 but my school shoes r those black ones with a lil heal but then when i go out i wear high heels u get me??
recently ive been switching and even though it hurts i luv it i love the girlyness i feel wearing heals :D

I don't suffer any i'll effect from wearing heels:-) For me the higher the better! I get regular pedicures and pamper my feet every evening at home, a nice massage with creams and soak's Then into my high heeled slippers

Does anyone else get little itchy bumps like bug bites on their toes when they wear heel sans trousers socks/hose? :unsure:

Originally posted by marcj@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 11:09 pm
There is a podiatrist in Manhattan who runs "L'institute beaute" or something who specializes in high heels... She injects collagen in the balls of women's feet and has this unique procedure to remove joints from the toes for a better fit... She was on 60 minutes and wears manolos with her long white coat.
removes joints for a better fit... :shock: .. :unsure:

She injects collagen to the balls of the feet because we have a natural collagen that acts as a cushion there that starts to disappear with age. By her injecting collagen you have more cushion onto your feet. Also theres this other one some podiatrist do that numbs the feet to high heel pain...

I would so get that done...I live for my heels and it would be a whole lot better if it didn't hurt when I walk a lot. I wonder how much does it cost....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->