High-Karat Gold Jewelry

mkd1187

Reaction score
So recently I have been getting into high-karat gold jewelry. I love the rich, yellow color, which makes anything else look just like brass.

In America, the standard gold is 10 Karat (41.7%) or 14 Karat (58.3%). While more durable, most of the world cannot even call this gold. For example, in France, nothing under 18 Karat (75%) can be called gold. However, in the UK, 9 Karat (37.5%) is popular.

Some countries that use high karats are:

India: 20k/22k/24k
Thailand: 23k
China: 24k (100% pure)

I've noticed this becoming more common in American stores, which I love. But most people I know thinks gold is "too bright" at this purity. ANy thoughts?

Israeli designer Yossi Harari - 24k

BGY04Q8_mn.jpg

BGY02TB_mn.jpg

BGY04Q1_mn.jpg

bergdorfgoodman.com

It's interesting.. you mention karat and brightness..

To me its also very interesting to see the gold preferences differs in different cultures. Whether the preference is for gold in a pink/rose hue, gold in different degrees of yellow and orange or white gold.

It's interesting.. you mention karat and brightness..

To me its also very interesting to see the gold preferences differs in different cultures. Whether the preference is for gold in a pink/rose hue, gold in different degrees of yellow and orange or white gold.

I totally agree. I don't think the color of yellow gold ever looks right under 20k, but one advantage of having so many alloys mixed in is playing with the color.

The best example I can think of is Black Hills gold, which in addition to its distinct looks, plays with 10k/12k yellow, green, pink, and red gold.

imagewrap.img

imagewrap.img

imagewrap.img

myblackhillsgoldsite.com

ok, Ill just keep going =)

New York based Stephanie Albertson - 22k jewelry

c24.jpg

c25.jpg

c7.jpg

stephaniealbertson.com

One of personal favorites - Gurhan <3 all 24k pure gold

Picture1.png

'
Picture3.png

Picture4.png

gurhan.com

I love Gurhan.

Anyway, Gold can come in literally any color, even if it's 10k - 24k, it just matters how it's mixed.

I personally like a nice brassy/buttery tone of gold. Also, a designer out of Canada, Michael Werdiger came out w/ this insanely saturated Rose Gold, it looks like hot pink copper, it's gorgeous.

Some gorgeous 22k rings from Reinstein/Ross

Ringslarge2.jpg

Ringslarge4.jpg

Necklace4.jpg

reinsteinross.com

I love Gurhan.

Anyway, Gold can come in literally any color, even if it's 10k - 24k, it just matters how it's mixed.

I personally like a nice brassy/buttery tone of gold. Also, a designer out of Canada, Michael Werdiger came out w/ this insanely saturated Rose Gold, it looks like hot pink copper, it's gorgeous.

Sort of. 24k is pure gold and is naturally bright yellow (well.. gold :P). So while yellow gold can be made in ANY karat, the color is not the same in the lower k's as it is in 20+

Anything else gold under 24k has other alloy metals mixed in such as copper, brass, silver, and nickel.

Picture6.png

One should actually be very careful when buying white gold. While it is indeed possible to make a bleach white gold up to 21k - this involves mixing pure platinum/palladium which is insanely expensive. So essentially all the time, gold is mixed with nickel, which makes it dull yellowish/white. It is then plated in either rhodium or platinum to appear the same - doesn't last forever though.

So when buying a white gold engagement/wedding ring - be sure to ask.

pic from http://www.gold.org/jewellery/technology/alloys/index.html

Interesting.

I was thinking of starting my own line of jewelry, I love it so much, but that'll be my second career.

I actually really like some of the pieces you posted. In the very first post, the last image of the solid hammered band is beautiful. I think that'd be a lovely wedding band

I've heard that about white gold wedding rings turning dull over time. (But one can have them replated.)

It funny you mention that the standard is different around the world. Until recently I had no idea there was anything other than 18 and 24 karat - because that what all the gold jewelry is around here. :smile:

lol it's true that chinese people are CRAZY about 24k gold. anything less they don't even really consider gold. i even have one of those lil' gold figurines in my chinese zodiac sign.

See where I live, I see a lot of 14K, a bit of 10K, and then some 18K. The 20's you rarely ever see, unless it's something that is 24K gold plated. I do like the brightness of the 22K gold though, a lot of really low grade golds look very tacky on my skin.

wow,thanks for posting. I am not usually a gold fan, but those are soo beautiful!

I actually really like some of the pieces you posted. In the very first post, the last image of the solid hammered band is beautiful. I think that'd be a lovely wedding band

Meg, I totally agree ideally + aesthetically. But the higher the K, the softer the metal is. For rings worn every day, this would probably get dented, banged, etc.

But I agree its gorgeous =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->