Hintmag's Feature On Veronique Branquinho's Men

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Fabulous article

Véronique Branquinho has been a driving force of forward fashion since the launch of her women's line in 1997. Now the Belgian—and proud new owner of a vintage Porsche racecar—turns her sights to menswear.  

Informed by a Formula One racing motif, Branquinho's spring '04 sophomore collection features narrow leather and nylon jackets, reinforced sleeves and zippered pockets. But the familiar logo-laden badges associated with a driver's uniform have been left empty because, she says with typical Belgian humility, "I prefer a more subtle style for people who don't need logos to be attractive or interesting." :heart:

Other stand-outs include terrycloth-lined jackets bearing a cryptic "Lonely 1" insignia on the sleeves, a biker jacket made entirely of chunky knit, assorted blazers and sweats. And then there are the totes, Italian-made boots and trainers with ankle straps.

"I don't have fashion victims in mind when I design," Branquinho says. "My collection is for men who want to dress in an elegant way and who pay attention to fabrics of high quality and perfect finishing."

At a time when designers are increasingly influenced by celebrity, Branquinho steers clear of the whims of pop culture. "I don't want to limit myself by getting focused on recent phenomena such as French singers and movies, although I enjoy the aesthetics of them. I project my ideas on real men in Antwerp who surround me—friends, people I go out with. I make realistic fashion."

Originally posted by Scott@Dec 16th, 2003 - 8:54 pm
:lol: It was rhetorical Acid :wink:
really? i would never have guessed :wink: B)

i loved his thing about no need for logo's etc! thats how i see fashion
bold logo's are brassy and definately non classy

great article! great points
thanks so much for posting :flower:

I thinks he could have presented some thing mroe intresting.

Originally posted by Acid+Dec 16th, 2003 - 3:56 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acid @ Dec 16th, 2003 - 3:56 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Dec 16th, 2003 - 8:54 pm
:lol: It was rhetorical Acid :wink:
really? i would never have guessed :wink: B)

i loved his thing about no need for logo's etc! thats how i see fashion
bold logo's are brassy and definately non classy [/b][/quote]
I admire the way she thinks. She's never one to get caught up in fashion as a celebrity mechanism. The logos she's talking about,are only a smidge of her attitude towards fashion. For her,as popular as she's become,its purely about the clothes! :wink:

No probs,Tiffany :flower:

Space,you've really got to look at her clothes up close. She's never really been one whose clothes are for the spotlight seeking. Her genius is in sublime tailoring,cutting and subtle detailing. She,like the rest of the Belgian designers,is an excellent crafts(wo)man :wink:

Originally posted by Scott@Dec 16th, 2003 - 8:38 pm
Space,you've really got to look at her clothes up close. She's never really been one whose clothes are for the spotlight seeking. Her genius is in sublime tailoring,cutting and subtle detailing. She,like the rest of the Belgian designers,is an excellent crafts(wo)man :wink:
Ims hr they are cut beautifuly, but I doutn feel any thing subliem from them, they ahve a nce understanded energy, but for me personaly I prefer some thing a bit mroe rebelious and new.

I'll admit there isn't too much in the way of daring,like a Walter Van B. or Bernhard et al, but they way she cuts trousers I'm sure you'd fall in love with some of this. Plus,I think everyone needs something a bit less eye-catching and easy since those pieces are the easiest to mix.

how can one be so subtle yet so confident. takes my breath away always. so i was a tad too late with the porsche bit, Scott. You are always ahead.

Originally posted by Scott@Dec 17th, 2003 - 9:23 am
I'll admit there isn't too much in the way of daring,like a Walter Van B. or Bernhard et al, but they way she cuts trousers I'm sure you'd fall in love with some of this. Plus,I think everyone needs something a bit less eye-catching and easy since those pieces are the easiest to mix.
I agree, i likeudnerstanded some times it is good to see some thing mroe clean and simple, and I would lvoe to seeteh cloetsh up close, i think hwo can is ay this they are may be a little bit to traditional(?) in design, but im shr tehy ahve wonderful detialing that is esquistetly fresh.

Coconut,do I know you from somewhere? :P

Drug addict??!!! That one in the trench next to the tree is pretty but I digress :lol:

beautiful pictures, thanks scott* :wink:

i like her understated style, Branquinho is great both for womenswear and for menswear, she can dress a 25+ guy in a very 'real' down to earth way, giving her focus on details and quality.
i'm all for 'real clothes for real people' i bet her leather jacket must be too precious up close.

i also respect her honesty and purity, types like BWillhelm bore me by trying too much, too hard. there is no-one to be impressed anymore, honesty and craftmanship is leading the way (in my book)

thanks for the topic scott :flower:

ps: coconut do i know you too? :P

Originally posted by Lena@Dec 17th, 2003 - 1:10 pm

i also respect her honesty and purity, types like BWillhelm bore me by trying too much, too hard. there is no-one to be impressed anymore, honesty and craftmanship is leading the way (in my book)

im sorry but I must disagree, fashion is about creation to me, bernhard is creating , to me ultra "real" clotehs dount express any thing, they dount push bounderies tehy doutn creat any thing new.

Space,yes Bernhard is creating and being expressive but saying Branquinho or someone doing something as subtle as she does isn't, I would have to disagree. Just because it isn't necessarily visable to the eye doesn't mean one isn't pushing boundries. I think she is,very much so. Especially, in this day in age when flashing skin and showing pretentious attitudes seems to be the trend, she creates images of mystery and subversion;relying on the personalities that wear her clothes rather than just showing loads of embellishments(which I adore) and crazy forms or colorful characters. Because,sometimes those things aren't enough as people like clothes that are beautifully crafted yet easy to wear. But she certainly does has every connotation of being true realist...by being a designer for the wearer. In my mind,she still achieves innovation and creativity in her cutting skills,seam work,volume etc.,her desire is for movement and structure.

And I'm not jumping on you at all as I know everyone has their tastes but every designer has his or her own aspirations as to what is expressive and being creative...she's just more understated and inate.

Being a realist,though,isn't about being subtle. Its about the integrity. Even in the most adventurous will they still be considered 'real'. Branquinho just has a different take :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->