Hippie and/or Bohemian Chic

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by Kimkhuu, Jun 11, 2004.

1. skinny_boho

skinny_boho New Member

Today I wore my flowery skirt for the first time after ages, a tank top, flats and golden jewelery&bag, my huge vintage shades and I felt so... me :blush: such a great sensation

2. hitzpink

hitzpink New Member

I just love bohemian, and even hippie, ways of dressing. It's so simple and relaxed, but can be very luxurious at the same time. I am often told that I look "like a hippie." I take it as a compliment because I love the old hippie lifestyle and values. I don't wear tie-dyed shirts and flowers in my hair or anything, but I like items that have already been mentioned: big earrings & sunglasses, loose knee-length skirts (often in a neutral color but with a bold pattern), beads, long flowing hair, natural makeup. I like my "boho" look to be very feminine. And of course I don't incorporate all of these elements at once!

I'm glad the boho explosion is over so that now I can enjoy my personal style without feeling like a slave to the trends.

3. jun3machina

jun3machina New Member

good for you /\ it really bugs me when a comfortable way of dressing becomes the "it " trend and everyone goes out and buys the quick fix to fit into the trend. it ruins it for those of us who dress like this on a regular basis. i feel the same when handbags that catch my eye get super trendy as well.

4. gius

gius écrivain

do guys here dress this style? :eek:

5. dinahgrace

dinahgrace New Member

I loove the hippie style, here are some from matthew williamson s/s show:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

style.com:heart:

6. blueskies

blueskies New Member

I just found this thread! I grew up with a very realxed 'hippie' sort of childhood (small town in the mountains, our neighbors lived in a teepee, free-thinking parents, made our own clothes)... though I'm not really into the lifestyle anymore, and I work in a bank so it's hard to dress how I'd like with their restrictions, I looooove hippie and bohemian styles and lifestyles. I have some great images I'll try and find a way to scan for you guys.

The lifestyle sortof lends itself to the dress I find... you can't really go hike four hours to sit in natural hotsprings in really tidy, clean clothes, so you need some jeans you don't mind torn and shirts that are gonna be warm and cozy when you're camping in the snow. And you need to be cool and comfortable at 4-day music festivals where you'll be in the sun and dust.
    To me bohemian can be just a very loose, free-flowing way of life - a sort of never-settling-down much like gypsy lifestyle. But then it also seems very 'beatnik'.
    My siblings and I have all still maintained a part of our relaxed childhood in our style... we all still wear flowing skirts and lots of beads and stone jewelry and layers of hemp clothing and so on, among our everyday work-uniforms. We all have our own unique style, but it's very obvious to those who meet us that we have a definite 'hippie' streak in us. (Though it always seems to confirm this when they find out we grew up in BC Canada :p). And I'm soooo with you on the 'thank-goodness it's over' thoughts about the 'boho/hippie' trend that went by a while ago, hitzpink - that made me feel so uncomfortable in my clothes when all of a sudden it was this huge trend - I felt like I must seem to be 'jumping on the bandwagon' even though I've always been into these things - even when people looked at me funny for wearing them!
    The reason I started writing this though! was in response to gius's post above... 'do guys here dress this style?'

When I read that my first thought.. Yes! My brother has a very hippie/rock style, and will wear hemp shirts with Elvis sunglasses or HunterSThompson style outfits, Indian clothes (those long white outfits the men wear over there), middle-east accents and Tibetan clothes... and one of my sisters' boyfriends is very much a hippie.
    He wears hemp pants, even skirts and sarongs in the summer, leather sandals, torn up rock concert shirts that just suit him (hes a construction worker), old plaid shirts, patchwork bags, guitar always with him, jeans that have been torn and stitched up with contrasting thread, and a shaggy, curly mop of dark hair. I picture him as a sort of Neil Young/Led Zepp/Woodstock/mountain man. And he looks great, I couldn't imagine him any other way!
    Now I'm off to read the rest of the thread... got too excited finding this, hehe!

#106 blueskies, Feb 24, 2007
    Last edited by moderator 1234fb: Feb 24, 2007
  7. reese06

reese06 Well-Known Member

From looking at quite a few of the S/S 2008 collections, it looks like Bohemian chic is coming back. i.e. Christopher Kane, D&G..etc.

8. laboheme

laboheme Member

9. disco54

disco54 Well-Known Member

yeah with a vengeance...the 80s punk girl. is gone...instead her groovier stoned sister is coming back on the scene

10. saann

saann I don't know

yaaay for the comeback

11. Dkammern

Dkammern DÔMMkammern

ARMANI (i find it very hippie in the silouette and some pieces... but then the fabrics and palette is very luxury-opposite)

12. cutxpaste

cutxpaste barack the vote

do what my friend does. she buys lots of random skirts at marshalls and old people's garage sales.

13. jolg

jolg New Member

yey! the hippie bohemian look is back! actually i yhink it was never over at all, just a bit hidden, but just look at the runway for s/s 08 trends...!!!!!

14. gius

gius écrivain

i think matthew williamson is completely part of this look, so we can totally expect it of him in his collections ...
    but in general, looking at other designers, i think the trends are more towards athleticwear than hippie

#114 gius, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited by moderator : Sep 27, 2007
  15. John_M.

John_M. New Member

Here's my deal. I hate the '80s. I'm very fond of the '70s. I recall the rise of the Bohemian trend (loved by many, hated by many others). I just best think of tucking jeans and pants into boots (seriously disliked and second only to leggings under skirts) as part of the Bohemian style.

So what does this rant have to do with this style? The hippie deal is perhaps one of the coolest of casual fashion. Think of being able to sport some bellbottom jeans with aa funky button-up shirt. With the recent popularity of peep-toe shoes, the look seems to be truly amazing especially worn with some peep-toe pumps or wedges. Here's a look I'm envisioning as far as a classic '70s look for a lady...

* gold-colored (more of an orange-yellow color) buttoned shirt or blouse with various multicolored circles or dots
    * some nice dark blue denim '70s or '70s-style jeans (maybe something like Miss Sixty flares)
    * red high-heel peep-toe pumps or wedge pumps

And there's your sort of hippie look (or at least a sexy 70's look). I thought I had posted my initial post when I first saw this thread. Unfortunately, I didn't release my material because it was still saved in a WordPad document. But now that I've posted this, feel free to comment.

16. MUXU

MUXU New Member

i had a feeling bell bottoms are coming back!! which is fantastic cause lately im very into bell bottoms and i snatched up one today. though it's not as flared as i wanted, but i need to do some alterations.
    now i need to look for short platform shoes...

17. jun3machina

jun3machina New Member

sweet! i love how pheobe philos last collections at chloe really caught the beauty of the boho dresses and natural femininity. i hope she comes back sometime...i've never lost my love for the bohemian look, although i have a bit of goth in me as well, so i do more of a rock groupie look...

i really hope this comes back in some new and exciting ways for spring. right now im obsessed with the costumes in ACROSS THE UNIVERSE and THE DARJEELING LIMITED. i think that's my inspiration for spring. SAFFRON is my love!!!!!!!!!

18. haute femme

haute femme turn and face the strange

ME TOO! :flower:

I don't like lipgloss candy colored peasant skirt hippie, I like muted tones earthy somewhat-minimalist hippie..but not exactly. I add semi-expensive items like leather jackets/boots, or a nice purse. I guess adding structure pulls the look together for me.

I love sewing vintage fabrics into bohemian tops or skirts. Or that occasional spectacular thrift store find!

19. adorefaith

adorefaith i'm almost ready..

i have a pretty strong little bohemian inside me somewhere....and she's loving this thread..
    :heart: :heart:

20. haute femme

haute femme turn and face the strange

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

flickr & wolfgangsvault