Holga / Lomographic Cameras & Photography

Avant Garde

Reaction score

The Holga (perhaps a corruption of the Cantonese phrase ho gwong, meaning “very bright”) is a very inexpensive, medium format box camera appreciated for its low-fidelity aesthetic. The Holga originated in China in 1982, and used 120 film, the most widely available film in China at that time. The camera was originally intended to provide an inexpensive mass-market camera for working-class Chinese in order to record family portraits and events. The Holga's cheap construction, combined with poor quality materials and simple meniscus lens often yields pictures that display vignetting, blur, light leaks, and other distortions. The often bizarre photographic results of these effects have ironically popularized the camera with an international audience, and Holga photos have won numerous awards and competitions in art and news photography.

Wikepedia

Holgas are great. What you get is always somewhat of a surprise and that's half the fun for me. Usually when I do a shoot, I shoot with my regular equipment that I know what I'll get with the results, then snap with the Holga here or there. Sometimes you get that amazing shot with the Holga that you just can't get with anything else. Not bad for $20. :flower:

I just blew way too much on a Canon 350D and all kinds of bells and whistles for it. I thought it would inspire me SO much. It still is not anywhere near as fun as my many Holgas. The biggest plus I think is I can take the holga anywhere and not worry about cleaning the lens or breaking something.

Holgas = Love

I have a Holga 120CFN, with colour flash. I bought it because of the way the photos come out, especially with the vignetting and mystery of surprise when the photos become developed.

Holga Power!

I heard about these cameras from a newspaper, and I'm thinking about buying one. But in my whole life, I have never used a camera with rolls of film, only digital. So I am slightly intimidated :blush:

ooh boy! sh*tty toy cameras, my favorite subject :heart:

i normally use a diana, not a holga, which is a cousin of the diana. they operate on the same basic principle which is - less is definitely more :lol:

here is a picture of my darling, darling diana:

barri%20shelli.jpg

from www.allandetrich.com/diana_photos/barri_shelli.htm

underneath the lens is a knob to change the aperture from sunny, partly cloudy, and cloudy :wink:

fourboltmain, didn't you just post in the fashion photogs lookbook some DIY mods to a canon digital using a holga lens?

.francesca said:
fourboltmain, didn't you just post in the fashion photogs lookbook some DIY mods to a canon digital using a holga lens?

umm... yes. But not JUST, more like a week ago! I'm working on a maro lens for my Holgas! Removable too! :ninja:

Did I mention they stopped making the Polaroid backs for them? I wanna go fall on a sword now... :cry:

^ Hey sweetie :kiss:.

You can try here.

:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! I love my Holga too. I like to contract print my negatives with Platiunum-paladium. Quick way to arange and brianstorm on shots before I pull out my 8 x 10

i kinda want to get one just for fun/to play with, but i'm also unfamiliar with film...

Sweets, then get one! Holgas are nicknamed "toy cameras" because they're just perfect for playing around with. Don't be unfamiliar with film - it takes regular film just like your point-and-shoot camera (but in 120 size) in addition to special films. You can drop the film off at any photo store (or even CVS 1-hour if you wanted, though I wouldn't recommend it) and voila! It's really a no-brainer.

I have had my holga for years and I love the slightly weathered, vignetted feel. For fashion photography they might not be sharp enough, but for art and for fun, I absolutely LURVE my holga.

I've been looking for one for months...but I haven't been able to find one :cry:
Does anyone know a good website that accepts Paypal?

astatine said:
I've been looking for one for months...but I haven't been able to find one :cry:
Does anyone know a good website that accepts Paypal?

I've seen them around ebay, and most people accept paypal there ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->