Holmes & Yang

Marpessa

Reaction score
It was announced by WWD back in August, and here are the 2 sneak peek photos.

WWD piece:
"After a few months of modeling teaser pieces, Katie Holmes, who’s clearly intent on proving she’s not a one-trick pony (Broadway, “So You Think You Can Dance?”), is ready to unveil Holmes & Yang, the collection she’s been designing with her stylist, Jeanne Yang. The duo’s “premium designer” line, which includes women’s and children’s wear — presumably inspired by Suri Cruise — and is said to be full of classic fare, will launch exclusively at Maxfield in Los Angeles for fall."

Everything is navy or white with black accents.
25irqx5.jpg

153v5t3.jpg

via celebcity

another celibrity gaerbage line that will have its 18 months and then disappear..............

Lol $575 for little girl dresses. Give me a break.

They started it a few days ago.

L.A.'s fashion set gathered at Maxfield in West Hollywood on Thursday night to get a first look at Katie Holmes and stylist Jeanne Yang's premium designer line Holmes & Yang. "I've been nervous all day, but I'm really excited," said Holmes of the debut, which includes a women's and girls' collection. "We just wanted to do comfortable clothes that you can wear going from a meeting to being a mom to going on a date." Mission accomplished. The collection, done in a palette of cream, navy, and black, features luxe shirts and trousers; textured silk jumpsuits; motorcycle jackets; leather, silk-lined blazers; and ruched strapless dresses worthy of the red carpet. "Everything's lined in silk, and we really spared no expense," added Yang, who first bonded with Holmes, fashion-wise, over a pair of pants. "I'm thrilled because things came out even better than I expected."

Holmes' hubby, Tom Cruise, is currently on the East Coast filming Wichita, but the actress had plenty of supporters on hand. Guests such as Crystal Lourd, Sofia Vergara, Magda Berliner, and Raven Kauffman sipped Perrier-Jouët and nibbled on creative hors d'oeuvres (corn soup in an eggshell, anyone?) while perusing the new line, which will be sold exclusively at Maxfield for the fall season. "I'm here to support other people creating," said Alanis Morissette, who is venturing into the business with a recyclable denim line while also writing a book. "Fashion is just another form of expression for me." Guests were also charmed by Holmes & Yang's pint-sized offerings. "Jeanne's girls and my daughter have a point of view of what they want to wear," added Holmes. "I'm constantly amazed by all the colors and layers that Suri will put together." Determined to go beyond kids' T-shirts and leggings, Yang succinctly explained a key design element: "It has to twirl."

18m.jpg

01m.jpg

all via style.com: http://www.style.com/peopleparties/parties/scoop/losangeles-092409_Holmes_Yang_Launch_LA/

Katie is wearing a Yang & Holmes white top in that photo. Looks ugly.

I don't think it looks ugly... just very unoriginal.

Neither of the "designers" of Holmes & Yang are actually designers.

WWD piece:
"After a few months of modeling teaser pieces, Katie Holmes, who’s clearly intent on proving she’s not a one-trick pony (Broadway, “So You Think You Can Dance?”), is ready to unveil Holmes & Yang, the collection she’s been designing with her stylist, Jeanne Yang. The duo’s “premium designer” line, which includes women’s and children’s wear — presumably inspired by Suri Cruise — and is said to be full of classic fare, will launch exclusively at Maxfield in Los Angeles for fall."

So unoriginality is what one would expect.

She has worn Holmes and Yang on two occasions:
National+Movie+Awards+Inside+Arrivals+o1aHZXdPo7pl.jpg
My+Sons+Opening+Night+Broadway+Curtain+Call+5mpF5_ZK0S8l.jpg

zimbio

If this is any indication of what's to come, then oh dear...

25a0zrs.jpg

Clockwise from top: Katie Holmes in her own clothes. Satin and lace peep-toe pumps, Christian Louboutin, $995. Jeanne Yang in her own top, jeans, and jewelry. Suede and silk jacket, Holmes & Yang, $3,375, collection at Maxfield, L.A., Barneys New York. On models: Silk crepe de chine blouse, $945, silk crepe de chine trousers, $940, both, Holmes & Yang. Suede and silk jacket, $3,375, Chantilly lace and Lycra silk dress, $2,750, both, Holmes & Yang. Silk crepe de chine dress, $1,275, suede and silk jacket, $2,500, baby alpaca hat, $250, all, Holmes & Yang.

Oh. My. God. Look at this dress! It’s so Cyd Charisse,” Jeanne Yang gasps, as she yanks a gauzy white knee-length polyester number, its flouncy skirt and belled sleeves adorned with white feathers and silver fringe, from a crowded rack. “Tell me she didn’t wear this.”

Katie Holmes, the other half of Holmes & Yang, the fashion label founded in 2008, studies the baroque garment and announces: “You could not eat or drink in this dress.” (She’s right, unless you’re a fan of fringe in your food.)

It’s a rainy April morning, and Holmes and Yang are scouring West Hollywood’s Palace Costume, a massive clothing archive (there are rooms devoted entirely to American Old West attire and Depression-era clothing), to find inspiration for their spring 2011 collection. Poised and polite, Holmes wears dark skinny jeans and navy flats; a black bra winks beneath her sheer gray shirt, and an electric blue Hermès Kelly bag dangles from her arm. It’s a casual, if cheeky, take on the elegant, glam style she’s adopted in recent years, evolving from a sweet, midriff-baring WB starlet into one of the most famous women in the world, with an increasingly polished look (the bob, the Victoria Beckham sunglasses)—not to mention a marriage—that garners as much attention as her work. (At press time, Holmes had just been chosen to play Jackie O. in the History Channel miniseries The Kennedys; the resemblance seems as much sartorial as physical.) Turns out, several of Holmes’ most commented-upon getups—the navy leather halter and silk pencil skirt she wore to the Tropic Thunder premiere; the sui generis cream-colored silk jumpsuit and black lace top she donned for an All My Sons after-party—were, in fact, early Holmes & Yang creations.

The two women met six years ago on a photo shoot, where Yang, now 40, was the stylist, and Holmes, 31, the subject. (Also among Yang’s high-flying clientele: Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Eva Mendes.) They bonded over a mutual outrage; both were miffed that the pockets on a pair of Holmes’ white pants were visible through the fabric. “She said, ‘Why didn’t they put a nude lining in?’ ” says Yang, who has a warm, take-charge demeanor. “I thought, That’s crazy that she would notice that. This wasn’t just an appreciation of pretty clothes.” Four years later, while sitting “in Kate’s closet,” as Yang tells it, the pair shared another lament: “How unfair is it that guys have a uniform?” They set out to simplify dressing for women, too. “We want to create pieces a woman can wear over and over, and people won’t necessarily say, ‘Oh, you wore that last week,’ ” says Holmes. (A significant concern when you’re the heavily photographed Mrs. Tom Cruise.)

Yang calls their designs “classics with a twist.” The spangled Cyd Charisse frock they’ve found at Palace Costume is all twist, not enough classic—far too fussy for the Holmes & Yang aesthetic, which is tailored yet easygoing, down-to-earth yet exceedingly high-end. Each item is pared down but not plain, basic without being boring: that perfect blouse, trousers, jumpsuit, skirt, or cocktail dress, all made of silk (jersey, crepe de chine, or jacquard) in neutral colors, with a bit of leather (on biker jackets and employed as trim) thrown in for a hint of toughness. It’s elegant, flattering clothing in the grown-up, classy-sexy vein of Phoebe Philo’s Céline. If you were suddenly forced to pack a suitcase and walk away from your life—or just your closet—a few Holmes & Yang pieces would cover all the necessary bases. Of course, a few may be all you can afford; the designers attribute their price point ($2,375 for a cocktail dress, $945 for a blouse) to their commitment to luxury fabrics, to the fact that their clothes are produced in New York City’s garment district, and to details like silk linings and hand-sewn zippers.

The fall 2010 collection, which hit stores in June, has its roots in the designers’ mutual love of dance. (Holmes still takes classes four times a week.) “Ballet is superclassic, and there are so many rules,” Yang says. “But you’ve got to have a little rebellion…you can always tell a dancer by the way she puts her clothes together.” The duo hewed to a strict palette of black, cream, and that distinct shade of ballet nude-pink. There are knit leg warmers and plenty of sexy nude-and-black pieces (standouts include a striped ’70s-era maxidress and a tight ruched column in nude silk overlaid with Chantilly lace) that evoke a dancer’s stylish, unstudied ease.

Neither designer has formal fashion training, but both learned to sew as young girls. Yang’s mother, who immigrated to the U.S. from Korea, owned a Los Angeles factory that produced jeans for brands such as the Limited and Express. Holmes’ mother, Kathleen, who had five children and her own drapery business in Toledo, Ohio, “sewed every curtain, every pillow,” Holmes says. “My sisters and I would sketch outfits all the time for fun.” These days, Holmes and Yang do all their own sketching, faxing each other edits when they find themselves in different cities, as they often do.

Perhaps the most unique (some might say bizarre) twist of Holmes & Yang is that it also includes pieces for young girls that coordinate with, and occasionally outright match, the ones created for Mom. Yang’s seven-year-old twins, Sydney and Zoey, and celebri-tot Suri, four, the world’s tiniest fashionista, serve as muses. To those who would scoff at dressing like one’s kid, Holmes has a sweet, openhearted response: “They love matching Mom. And it’s a limited time during which they really want to.” She also insists that the philosophy behind the little girls’ clothes is “very practical”: “What twirls, what doesn’t itch, and what’s pretty.”

So practical, in fact, that now the men in their lives—Yang’s husband, Scott Cort, who works in real estate, and Cruise, of course—want in. “They always hang out at our meetings,” Holmes says.“They say, ‘When are you guys going to do the men’s collection?’ ”
elle.com

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah sure the jumpsuit was "commented on":rolleyes:..it was almost universally derided in the tabloids when she showed up in that monstrosity...

the black and cream chevron long tank dress is OK.

so... the elle article is a sugarcoating of the fact that:
- they have no formal training
- they unapologetically copy existing garments

you know, I can try to live with another fauxlebrity line but NOT openly knowing that I'm being sold a $950 blouse made by two people whose fashion cred begins and stops at their "trouser lining" anecdote.

Homegirls have just boarded the Balmain crazy train.

was it so hard to say they hired a team of designers?! even the Olsens said they worked with patternmakers and seamstresses for The Row.

so... the elle article is a sugarcoating of the fact that:
- they have no formal training
- they unapologetically copy existing garments

you know, I can try to live with another fauxlebrity line but NOT openly knowing that I'm being sold a $950 blouse made by two people whose fashion cred begins and stops at their "trouser lining" anecdote.

Homegirls have just boarded the Balmain crazy train.

was it so hard to say they hired a team of designers?! even the Olsens said they worked with patternmakers and seamstresses for The Row.

I found the most funny part is where they began about how both learned to sew at an early age. As if they ever did any sewing in the past let's say 10/20 years or ever did it seriously and besides that fact they learned how to home-sew from their mothers, they wouldn't know one bit on how to properly deal with the luxury fabrics that they're working with.

beyond boring and irrelevant. i wouldn't wear any of these pieces....

The line sold well at Barney's here when they made a personal appearance. I did not take off work to go :innocent: The pieces look well-made, I like that they're made in the US ... but I've not been tempted to try anything on. The pieces seem to be a bit too basic, and not crazy about their choice of accent colors. I do like the basic idea though of things that are not so memorable that people clock you wearing them again. Not crazy about the leather trim. I do find the built-in Spanx interesting ...

Seriously?? Who would buy that??? If they're gonna tag that kind of price for those garments make it more original....

Katie Holmes hires stepdaughter Bella as her new fashion apprentice

By Daily Mail Reporter

Talk about keeping it in the family.
Actress-turned-fashion designer Katie Holmes has enlisted some help with her blossoming clothing line Holmes & Yang from someone close-to-home.

She has hired her 18-year-old stepdaughter Bella Cruise, the adopted daughter of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, as an intern at the company, the actor has revealed

'Kate’s designing and [Bella] is just working her way up,' Mission: Impossible star Tom told People magazine at the Simon Wiesenthal Center and Museum of Tolerance National Tribute Dinner in Beverly Hills last week.
"She’s an artist, Bella, so it’s really great that she gets to work with it,' he added. 'She’s loving it.'
The young budding designer just returned from a trip to New York, where she was being shown the ropes of the growing company.
'This is my wife’s company, so you talk about movie sets with me, I can tell you [about] that,' he joked with a laugh.
'You’ve got to go to all these different factories and verify and make sure you get the correct clothes,' he said. When asked if he was proud of his daughters talents and aspirations, he responded: 'I am! It’s wonderful!'
Katie Holmes' clothing line was launched in May 2011 in collaboration with designer Jeanne Yang.

'We just wanted to do comfortable clothes that you can wear going from a meeting to being a mom to going on a date,' Katie said of the collection at the time admitting that her daughter and Jeanne's two daughters had been a large inspiration. (dailymail.co.uk)

Attachments

• article-1385775-0BFE5ED000000578-520_468x637.jpg
    article-1385775-0BFE5ED000000578-520_468x637.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2
Beyoooond boring. Id only pay that much $$$ if twas the best quality and still I dont think the silhouette is too flattering. It looks like something people over 60 would wear.

PS Fashionista-ta! OMFG! Beee-haave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigdaddy123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->