Hooked: Roksanda Ilincic launches swim

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by softgrey, Jul 12, 2010.

1. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

Hooked: Roksanda Ilincic

Roksanda Ilincic, the culty London designer known for her luxurious yet edgy cocktail fare, makes a surprise splash with the debut of a two-part swimwear line. The bright, East African tribal colors and prints are sure to wow and dazzle, but her core audience will likely gravitate toward the smoldering black monokinis with huge cutouts and asymmetric spaghetti straps, like something out of film noir. So yeah, if you can pull off shimmering Veronica Lake tresses, a sultry bronchitis whisper and perma-pose aloofness, even better. Here's the thing: you probably won't want to go anywhere near chlorine or salt water. With its double-take prices (£210-425, exclusively at Harvey Nichols in London), this is the couture of swimwear. But just imagine how glamourous you'll look vamping around in your bathtub.
    [​IMG]
    hingmag.com

2. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

I thought/hoped we were kind of over the expensive swimwear that isn't actually meant for swimming. And while it might be good for those going on vacation, where are you going to wear this in London? There are a handful of places that have rooftop swimming pools (I can only think of 2 off the top of my head) so it's not even that useful for swanning around in, unless you wear it as a type of bodysuit. I just find it a bit meh in looks and slightly insulting in concept coming from her.

3. blackkohl

blackkohl Member

I don't like the look of that swimwear, to be honest.
    "you probably won't want to go anywhere near chlorine or salt water. With its double-take prices (£210-425, exclusively at Harvey Nichols in London), this is the couture of swimwear."
    That pretty much sums it up for me. This sort of stuff is OK for some people, but not for me. I wouldn't want to spend a lot on a swimsuit and then not actually swim in it.

4. blackkohl

blackkohl Member

(sorry, I needed to add to my post but left it too late, consequently was not able to add this bit in to my previous post)

The only time I would (perhaps) need something as extravagant as this is when I'm on holiday in a much warmer climate, lounging around on the beach or next to a pool, trying to get a tan. However, I only go abroad two times a year- three times max.- and in England, although I am an avid swimmer, a Roksanda Ilincic swimming costume would be of no use to me. I swim for exercise; not just for paddling or dipping into the pool for five minutes.

5. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

Could that one shoulder number with the giant cutout side be less original? I feel like I've seen that swimsuit both on and off the runway countless times in my life.

And while the strappy one is sure to be noticed one whatever beach, or yacht, or lounge chair you're on, it's going to leave some major tan lines.

6. thejarc

thejarc New Member

Looks like someone played a little too much with licenses.